Hey all, it might not be too hard to guess but Iron Maiden is my favorite band so I got a sudden impulse to make a tribute song. I wrote this in the style of the band during their older albums, most notably Powerslave. I'll appreciate any comments and please leave a link of anything you would like my input on. Hope you enjoy

Full Song:
https://soundcloud.com/san-kilkis/sailing-on-the-rifts-of-time

Music Video for the Solo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFSlmptwFNA
Last edited by MaverickTR at Jan 9, 2014,
I could hear clear Iron Maiden influences in it but it did sound like your own song, not Iron Maiden's song (which is not a bad thing at all). Yeah, really nice playing and I liked the sounds of the song. I think it had a good flow. The guitar solos sounded like Iron Maiden. You had clearly paid attention to Maiden guitarists' style.

I noticed that all instruments were playing almost all the time. Maybe try having more parts with less instruments playing. It adds dynamics to the song. Also, when I hear "Iron Maiden", I always think of guitar harmonies. I think your song could have had more guitar harmonies.

C4C

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1628273
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
WOW! i could hear echoes of maiden in that piece. I thought alot and actually didnt find anything i could criticize on (constructively). Awesome keep it up
Quote by aaron aardvark
...though since it is pretty short, it does not feel like a complete song (my only gripe).

I am just curious as to which link you clicked, since it was my mistake to also put the YouTube solo video right below the full length song. But in case you did listen to the full length song and feel that way, then I know that structuring/framework is something I need a lot of work on as a composer. Thanks for your input
MTR,
I don't even have to play the video, it still says the video is 1:14 long. How many hit songs can you list that are this short? There are probably a few, but they are very rare. Don't worry, not many of us on this forum are writing hit songs. I realize that it is not easy to record an instrumental song that is at least 3 minutes long & hold people's interest. Very often, popular songs have a rhythm guitar part that is quite simple, even if the guitar player is recognized as being a great player. Though most popular songs have vocals. Keep at it, you have definite talent.
Just what I needed! Cool sounds, superb tone. Kudos for you for liking Maiden of that era, 'cos you look a lot younger than I. Shame bloody SoundCloud is down at the moment - would have liked to hear it all.
Beautiful tone, spectacular guitar chops, overall an amazing song. I really like all the different sections of the song and how you put them together. The recording quality is really good too. What gear did you use? And what is the bridge pickup in the strat? It would be really awesome with an '80s style vocalist. I think the bridge (if I'm right in assuming that's what it is at 3:13) could use a little breathing room if you know what I mean. Maybe a staccato'd rhythm guitar part or something of the sort. Again, really great song as far as composition, tone, instrumental choices, just everything.

Check out my band's music: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1629739
Quote by Jehannum
Kudos for you for liking Maiden of that era, 'cos you look a lot younger than I.

I personally think that their best albums came out of that era, some people also refer to it as their "Golden Age." I also enjoy listening to their newer work, but there is just something about the composing and recording/mastering of the old albums that makes them much more enjoyable to listen in entirety at one go .

Quote by 69bajaguy
What gear did you use? And what is the bridge pickup in the strat? It would be really awesome with an '80s style vocalist. I think the bridge (if I'm right in assuming that's what it is at 3:13) could use a little breathing room if you know what I mean. Maybe a staccato'd rhythm guitar part or something of the sort.

Thanks for your feedback bro, I really appreciate the kind words . I definitely want to rework this song now with a vocalist and use your advice on the bridge. It indeed does sound very boxy and constrained. To start off answering the more technical questions. I didn't bring my amp back home for this recording so I went direct into the pre-amp stage of the E-MU 1616m using the unbalanced line-out of the POD HD500x. Not my ideal set-up since I enjoy the dispersion acoustics of a recorded guitar cabinet, but the POD HD500x has much better cabinet models than my old RP255. Also, the bridge pick-up on my strat is still the stock one and I think I will keep it that way for a while since it is quite versatile.