My gear is as follows;

'03/'04? (not sure) MIM Strat

'93 212 Blues Deville

Laney TF300

Digitech Bad Monkey

Boss ME-50 (multi fx)

My question is; I purchased the Bad Monkey last year and never really liked the sound on the Laney amp. I just thought the amp had a better distortion channel available when I used the pedal on the clean channel, and when I used the pedal on the distortion channel it just sounded screechy and messy. It dawned on me; Ive never been shown how to use a distortion pedal by anyone.

Should pedals be used on the clean/dirty channel or both?

I recently bought my Deville after months of wanting to buy a Blackstar HT-40, but when I went into the shop I wasn't blown away by the Blackstar and fealt it wasn't a massive improvement in my clean or distortion sound. I had a go on my Fender and was astounded by the clean channel (id never heard live cleans sound like that before).

I still like playing with distortion on a lot of occasions so I use my ME-50 or Bad Monkey but which channel should I go into? Sometimes i'll still use the Laney, so which should I go into on that amp?
It's a matter of preferences. I prefer overdriving the amp, cause it really sounds better (well to me) than any OD pedals. You could use your OD for a small gain boost on clean, just to cut trought a little more. Also you could use it on your drive channel to give it more drive. There's no good way to use pedals.

Just make sure your guitar volume knob is at 10 (or less for less drive) when you want to get dirt, otherwise you'll lose overdrive.

Edit: Overdrive and distortion are different things
Last edited by Taz9 at Dec 29, 2013,
assuming the distortion channel on the deville is reasonable, set the bad monkey to

Level: full
Drive/Gain: zero
Treble: 2 o'clock
Bass: 12 o'clock

that's more or less the standard "boost" setting if you're using it to boost your tube amp.

EDIT: only use those settings if your amp is already pretty distorted or you'll get a massive boost in volume which'll kill your ears.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 29, 2013,
a better ? might be what kind of distortion sound are you after. the BM is an overdrive pedal so it will not produce high gain type sounds thru a clan channel. personally I use my overdrives for a variety of sound on the different channels of my amp. wen used with the clean channel I get just a little break up for that slightly dirty blue sound. it adds to my crunch channel for a heavier rhythm sound or for a hard rock style lead (think 70s hard rock) and of course it adds more umph to my ultra channel for leads. I don't use I with the boot setting dave mentioned but rather keep the volume at around 5 the gain at around 3 ad the tone to taste. now I play a more 70s hard rock/metal style but also like blues rock as well. fender amps aren't known for having great distortion tones past a little breakup.
I set my amp to near breakup so it is fairly clean when I pick gently or back off the guitar volume. When I want distortion I crank the guitar volume, play harder and kick in an OD pedal or three (Bad Monkey and/or Timmy and/or EQ)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
a better ? might be what kind of distortion sound are you after. the BM is an overdrive pedal so it will not produce high gain type sounds thru a clan channel. personally I use my overdrives for a variety of sound on the different channels of my amp. wen used with the clean channel I get just a little break up for that slightly dirty blue sound. it adds to my crunch channel for a heavier rhythm sound or for a hard rock style lead (think 70s hard rock) and of course it adds more umph to my ultra channel for leads. I don't use I with the boot setting dave mentioned but rather keep the volume at around 5 the gain at around 3 ad the tone to taste. now I play a more 70s hard rock/metal style but also like blues rock as well. fender amps aren't known for having great distortion tones past a little breakup.

yeah using it that way having the level cranked up will give you too much volume boost on the clean channel. there's definitely more than one way you can use it and they're all valid if you like how they sound
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the info fellas. I guess this is a bit of a noob question but do any big bands/people with money to buy gear they want - use distortion pedals for the tone they give and use it on the clean channel?

I bought my Fender Deville 212 because I loved the clean tone. To get any distortion of any kind at less than a volume that blows the windows out I have to use the Boss ME-50 and put the gain up to a decent level (even with the amp cranked its still only a mild crunch but a nice one).
Quote by lodgi
Thanks for the info fellas. I guess this is a bit of a noob question but do any big bands/people with money to buy gear they want - use distortion pedals for the tone they give and use it on the clean channel?

undoubtedly. but that is a big generalization that potentially covers a very wide range of situations.

a distortion pedal covers everything from an OD to fuzz and even potentially boost pedals (since distortion pedal is a subjective definition it is hard to universally define what a distortion pedal is, so i am using the broadest definition).

i own mostly single channel amps, i use OD's quite a bit. i think this may technically be 'using a distortion pedal on a clean channel'. i am not famous or in a big band though.

Quote by lodgi
I bought my Fender Deville 212 because I loved the clean tone. To get any distortion of any kind at less than a volume that blows the windows out I have to use the Boss ME-50 and put the gain up to a decent level (even with the amp cranked its still only a mild crunch but a nice one).

something like a ratt proco should provide plenty of distortion while using the clean channel on a deville.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by lodgi

it depends on the tone they're after and how often they need it. Some tones are more achievable with pedals (fuzz, for example).

there are always exceptions to every rule, too.

I'd say most people who play mainly with distortion use distortion-orientated amps, though. at least for the type of tones which amps excel at.

+1 on a rat, that's a nice all-round pedal.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lodgi

in the old days many used a fuzz or early distortion pedals to get the dirt through a cranked non master volume amp. in my early years of playing so did I as high gain amps weren't really available.
Quote by Dave_Mc
assuming the distortion channel on the deville is reasonable, set the bad monkey to

Level: full
Drive/Gain: zero
Treble: 2 o'clock
Bass: 12 o'clock

that's more or less the standard "boost" setting if you're using it to boost your tube amp.

EDIT: only use those settings if your amp is already pretty distorted or you'll get a massive boost in volume which'll kill your ears.

Wow. Tried out these setting of the Blues Deville last night and it sounded amazing! I never realised that this pedal could be used like this (using the level at full and gain at 0) to make the amp sound like that.
I always thought the level should be kept roughly at the midpoint and was basically another volume knob,and that the gain gave you more distortion. I always thought "why are these people using this seemingly weedy pedal and getting good distortion tones?" now I realise!!

One question this has brought to light is; when would you want to use the gain knob? Is this just to make the sound more distorted?

Also; would it be better to use the gain knob on the Bad Monkey or add gain by running the pedal through the drive channel and using amp gain? Or both?
Quote by lodgi
Wow. Tried out these setting of the Blues Deville last night and it sounded amazing! I never realised that this pedal could be used like this (using the level at full and gain at 0) to make the amp sound like that.
I always thought the level should be kept roughly at the midpoint and was basically another volume knob,and that the gain gave you more distortion. I always thought "why are these people using this seemingly weedy pedal and getting good distortion tones?" now I realise!!

One question this has brought to light is; when would you want to use the gain knob? Is this just to make the sound more distorted?

Also; would it be better to use the gain knob on the Bad Monkey or add gain by running the pedal through the drive channel and using amp gain? Or both?

There are different ways to use an overdrive. You can keep the volume knob in unity and pump up the gain on pedal. This is also the only way to get distortion if the amp you have is clean channel only. (outside of cranking the bejeezus out of it)

But the more popular way is to boost already distorted amp beyond its limits. Turning the level knob high (not necessary to max. experiment!) makes the signal from your guitar much louder hammering the preamp tubes of your amp hard and therefore increases how much they distort. Keeping the gain down (not necessary off. again, experiment!) just makes sure the pedal doesnt add too much of its own distortion into signal. There is nothing wrong in adding bit of gain on pedal and still having the level really high but the sound turns into mush quite fast if amp is distorting hard and you put too much pedal distorion on top.

The maxed clean boost is one way (and most likely the most popular one amongst really high gain folk) to use overdrive, but something like level 2-3 a clock and gain 9-10 a clock is also often to boost your amps distortion channel. A little lead boost that you toggle on during screaming leads but otherwise keep the distortion mild.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 6, 2014,
^ +1

and yeah you'd use the pedal's own distortion if you were running it into a totally clean channel, for example.

But yeah I mean there are no rules, you can set it how you like and/or tweak from generally accepted "good" settings to suit your own rig, ears and situation. I just thought i'd give you the "classic boost" type setting to see if you liked it. Glad you did
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?