I used to be a DJ and I still have my equipment. I recently began playing an electric guitar w/ amp that I've had for years and am also considering an electric acoustic. My DJ mixer has 4 channels. Each channel has RCA inputs or a 1/4" mic input. I also have powered JBL speakers. I'd also like 2 vocal mics.

First and foremost, it is possible to hook all of this up? Would I even want to? I'd like to have my electric guitar, my electric acoustic and 2 vocal mics going.
Last edited by YourBasicDJ at Dec 29, 2013,
Quote by YourBasicDJ
I used to be a DJ and I still have my equipment. I recently began playing an electric guitar w/ amp that I've had for years and am also considering an electric acoustic. My DJ mixer has 4 channels. Each channel has RCA inputs or a 1/4" mic input. I also have powered JBL speakers. I'd also like 2 vocal mics.

First and foremost, it is possible to hook all of this up?

sure, you can hook it all up.

if you get an electric/acoustic then this would mean your guitar would have a pickup.

at that point, you'd hook up the two mics and the guitar to the mixer, then run the outputs of the mixer to the jbl speakers.

Quote by YourBasicDJ
Would I even want to?

i don't see why not. you could simplify the setup, run only one speaker or something. but your setup is pretty much the minimal amount of equipment for what you'd need to run for a singing/acoustic guitar gig.

Quote by YourBasicDJ
I'd like to have my electric guitar, my electric acoustic and 2 vocal mics going.

that setup could do that very easily.

you may need some XLR to 1/4" cables depending on what mics you wanna use.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
sure, you can hook it all up.

if you get an electric/acoustic then this would mean your guitar would have a pickup.

at that point, you'd hook up the two mics and the guitar to the mixer, then run the outputs of the mixer to the jbl speakers.

i don't see why not. you could simplify the setup, run only one speaker or something. but your setup is pretty much the minimal amount of equipment for what you'd need to run for a singing/acoustic guitar gig.

that setup could do that very easily.

you may need some XLR to 1/4" cables depending on what mics you wanna use.

But do I still throw my electric guitar amp in the mix? If so, where?
Quote by YourBasicDJ
But do I still throw my electric guitar amp in the mix? If so, where?

it completely depends on the gig or your desires.

i'll give to examples of how i'd run your setup:

1) run the to mics and acoustic into the mixer (going into the JBL's). then run the electric into your amp and keep it independent of the mixer/PA.

this would be good for small gigs, like a coffee shop. the upside is that you aren't running as much instrumentation through the PA, which should sound a bit cleaner. the negative is that you'll have to adjust two separate sound sources (PA and guitar amp), but the amp should be able to keep up just fine with the PA.

2) run the to mics and acoustic into the mixer (going into the JBL's). then run the electric into your amp and then set a mic up in front of the amp and run that into the PA as well.

this is better for bigger gigs, like a larger club. the upside is all sound sources can be controlled by the PA, it allows for easier mixing; also a smaller amp that wouldn't be loud enough for bigger gigs will be loud enough through the PA. the negative is that you'll need another mic for the guitar amp.

3) run the to mics and acoustic into the mixer (going into the JBL's). then run the electric into an effect processor and plug that into the PA.

this eliminates the need for a guitar amp altogether and easily scales with the PA setup. this setup will work for big or small gigs. the negative is the increased need for monitoring (which you'll already need if you are singing anyway, so that is not a big deal) and the additional expense of buying a processor.

there are lots of other options as well.

-ae
So you wouldn't do something like electric guitar to guitar amp and then guitar amp to mixer and then out to the speakers?
Last edited by YourBasicDJ at Dec 29, 2013,
that would be one of your options.

i gave one example where you'd mic the guitar amp and send it to the mixer, another options would be to run a line out to the mixer (depends on the amp's output options and there are a number of cabinet emulation options as well).

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
that would be one of your options.

i gave one example where you'd mic the guitar amp and send it to the mixer, another options would be to run a line out to the mixer (depends on the amp's output options and there are a number of cabinet emulation options as well).

OK, thanks for the great info!