Hey there. I have an Ibanez GRG170DX which I had acquired a good few years ago. After buying more guitars, I have started playing it again, and realised I really love the way it feels, despite the fact it's an entry level Ibanez Gio guitar.

My question is; Would it be worth upgrading its hardware to make it sound better or is it like the saying goes: "Don't polish a turd"?

Cheers
Carl
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
Quote by Carl21221
I really love the way it feels,

There's your answer.

Make it yours, upgrades will only make it feel better, and you'll like it more...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I would upgrade with parts and pickups from this site www.guitarfetish.com they are good quality and inexpensive. Their pickups are remarkably good for being $30ish each. I have used them on several guitars and I am pleased
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I would upgrade with parts and pickups from this site www.guitarfetish.com they are good quality and inexpensive. Their pickups are remarkably good for being $30ish each. I have used them on several guitars and I am pleased

solid advice. spending more than the guitar is worth on pickups and other improvements is most likely a waste of money as it will only get so good. you can turn it into a solid backup guitar though and get a good sound without going broke.
Quote by monwobobbo
solid advice. spending more than the guitar is worth on pickups and other improvements is most likely a waste of money as it will only get so good. you can turn it into a solid backup guitar though and get a good sound without going broke.

Exactly, turn it into a solid playing/sounding guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree, but not entirely...

Putting High end parts into a cheap guitar isn't a waste of money in my opinion, even if the parts cost more than the entire guitar...

and as for "what it's worth", well, that's all relative. What it's worth to who? Look at Stevie Ray Vaughn's guitar... If there was never Stevie playing it, and it was in a pawn shop... most would say it was a broken piece of crap... but one of the Guitar Greats played it, and it's worth a fortune to most everybody.

Parts can be installed, and uninstalled... if it's the money your worried about, if you get tired of it, part it out, if you must to recoup the expenses...

I'm thinking though when you put on it what you want on it, it'll be priceless to you, and you'll never get rid of it...

As always... JMHO
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
I agree, but not entirely...

Putting High end parts into a cheap guitar isn't a waste of money in my opinion, even if the parts cost more than the entire guitar...

and as for "what it's worth", well, that's all relative. What it's worth to who? Look at Stevie Ray Vaughn's guitar... If there was never Stevie playing it, and it was in a pawn shop... most would say it was a broken piece of crap... but one of the Guitar Greats played it, and it's worth a fortune to most everybody.

Parts can be installed, and uninstalled... if it's the money your worried about, if you get tired of it, part it out, if you must to recoup the expenses...

I'm thinking though when you put on it what you want on it, it'll be priceless to you, and you'll never get rid of it...

As always... JMHO

SRV's guitar was a pre CBS strat not exactly a broken piece of crap. it seems to me that once you get past a certain point trying to "improve" a guitar that you could just as well buy a better guitar with the money. I have personally never found a guitar that I'd never get rid of. held on to some longer than others but they are all expendable if I run across an axe that I feel will get me closer to where I want to be. figure modding a cheapie should be fun and not expensive but that's just me.
As Papabear said it's up to you if you like it already why not? You own the parts once you pay for them and you can install them on another guitar if you want, it's not like they are expended.

Although similarly to what monwobobbo said, if you have guitar Y and want it to be guitar X, its often just cheaper to buy X. Although past a certain point the hardware doesn't get any better so essentially you are paying hundreds (perhaps thousands) for a better piece of wood, which is the only part you can't replace (well you can kind of). So putting in money won't get you anywhere if its the wood that's at fault.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Dec 29, 2013,
Replacing pickups can upgrade your sound significantly. If your interested in getting more tone I'd say get a thicker neck (assuming the guitar has a bolt on neck.) In fact I putting a new pickup in this cheap strat I picked up late october.
Quote by monwobobbo
SRV's guitar was a pre CBS strat not exactly a broken piece of crap.

I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
If it feels good to play it's worth upgrading the hardware. That's my rule of thumb.
You won't turn a GIO into a Prestige, but with some improvements it'll be a solid workhorse guitar.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.