So I've never been to a concert before. Dark Tranquility is playing in Toronto in February. The tickets are $25 each. Is it basically whoever gets there first, gets to be closest? I don't live in Toronto and am going to have to take a bus there. The show starts at 7:30pm. If I get there an hour before the start time, am I basically going to be at the very back?? If so...it's at the Opera House. Is anyone familiar with the size of that venue? If I'm at the back, will the band look like tiny dots?? Thanks.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Idk how big of a band it is, but an hour before start is going to be average. If it's a band i really wan't to see up close I will get there 2 hours ahead. Sucks if it's cold. And yea, its basically first come first serve. Be prepared to get your soul mushed out of you if you get anywhere in front of the middle of the crowd if it's a heavy band. Gotta be tough.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
If it's general admission; then yes, get there early to get as close as possible.

EDIT: 7:30 is likely when the first opening band starts, not many people usually show up right then. You'll have plenty of time to secure a good spot.
Last edited by Redsectoreh at Dec 29, 2013,
Yeah, but there's far more politics that go into these things: are there openers? Will you be going to get drinks/pee during set breaks? Will you have friends with you? Are you/your friends assertive enough to retain good spots for yourselves?

Also, when the headliner starts, everybody will just try cramming to the front anyway, so very little of this matters.

If you're not incredibly short/surrounded by douchebags, you'll enjoy the show just fine though. Somebody might even pass you a dooooooobie. Teeheehee.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Being at the front sounds pretty great but a lot of times you just get spatter with bad beer and crushed by a bunch of people. You can work your way to a good spot during openers. I can almost always get a decent spot near the edge of the stag where I have a great view. I'm short as hell so a good view is hard to come by.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by c3powil
Idk how big of a band it is, but an hour before start is going to be average. If it's a band i really wan't to see up close I will get there 2 hours ahead. Sucks if it's cold. And yea, its basically first come first serve. Be prepared to get your soul mushed out of you if you get anywhere in front of the middle of the crowd if it's a heavy band. Gotta be tough.

It IS a heavy band but if I don't want to be a part of the pit and get out of the way, I'm not going to get trampled am I? Are people generally respectful at metal shows?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
It IS a heavy band but if I don't want to be a part of the pit and get out of the way, I'm not going to get trampled am I? Are people generally respectful at metal shows?

I don't know how it is in your godless moose-land but here people are usually pretty set on keeping people off the floor. And it's Dark Tranquility. Aren't they symphonic or something similar? Probably not a bad crowd at all.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Take ear plugs if it's your first concert.

The volume can be overwhelming the first time you go to a gig.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by 365_days_gone

Well think of it this way: It's a couple hundred people you have never met before in one large crowd. There's no way of knowing if people are going to be "respectful". But I suggest if you don't want to be part of the moshing to just keep your distance from the very front.
Quote by snipelfritz
Yeah, but there's far more politics that go into these things: are there openers? Will you be going to get drinks/pee during set breaks? Will you have friends with you? Are you/your friends assertive enough to retain good spots for yourselves?

Also, when the headliner starts, everybody will just try cramming to the front anyway, so very little of this matters.

If you're not incredibly short/surrounded by douchebags, you'll enjoy the show just fine though. Somebody might even pass you a dooooooobie. Teeheehee.

It looks like there are two opener bands. I'm going to be going by myself. So I can easily weasel my way closer or further back if I choose to? It's just a big open room full of people right?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
It looks like there are two opener bands. I'm going to be going by myself. So I can easily weasel my way closer or further back if I choose to? It's just a big open room full of people right?

Yep. The venue I go to a lot has benches on the side and a big open floor.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by 365_days_gone

At the front you'll be away from the pit probably, but if you're fragile I wouldn't recommend it. And if you can't stomach other people's sweat covering you, don't even bother.

Seriously, It'll be okay at first, but then when the big bands step out it's gonna be like sardines in a can.
Cool. I'm not a huge fan of these guys but there's no other bands I like playing around here and I want to experience a lot of stuff in the new year so I'm gonna give this concert a shot. Gonna have to start listening to them a lot now to prepare.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
Cool. I'm not a huge fan of these guys but there's no other bands I like playing around here and I want to experience a lot of stuff in the new year so I'm gonna give this concert a shot. Gonna have to start listening to them a lot now to prepare.

Please do, concerts are awesome. I wen't to see my, now favorite, band, Coheed and Cambria, back when I only new two albums and the songs they played were mostly from their other two. It was a bummer because I ended up just standing there and bobbing my head to the music. It was good, but not as great as the concerts I had been to before when I knew every song by each band. I went again about a year later when i knew all of their songs and it was brilliant. I had a great time. Not many things are better than standing amongst hundreds of other people and all passionately singing the same song, everyone feeling the same emotion as the band's energy is dispersed thorough the crowd.
Who's opening?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Who's opening?

Omnium Gatherum and Exmortus. Never heard of either of them.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by c3powil
Please do, concerts are awesome. I wen't to see my, now favorite, band, Coheed and Cambria, back when I only new two albums and the songs they played were mostly from their other two. It was a bummer because I ended up just standing there and bobbing my head to the music. It was good, but not as great as the concerts I had been to before when I knew every song by each band. I went again about a year later when i knew all of their songs and it was brilliant. I had a great time. Not many things are better than standing amongst hundreds of other people and all passionately singing the same song, everyone feeling the same emotion as the band's energy is dispersed thorough the crowd.

What's what I hate. I'm not gonna know most of the songs. I want to go to a concert of a band that I know off by heart. Oh well. I plan to go to a lot of concerts after I get through my first one. I've been afraid to go cause I have social anxiety but it's time to get out and experience some new things. Once I go to a concert for the first time, it'll be easy next time.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
What's what I hate. I'm not gonna know most of the songs. I want to go to a concert of a band that I know off by heart. Oh well. I plan to go to a lot of concerts after I get through my first one. I've been afraid to go cause I have social anxiety but it's time to get out and experience some new things. Once I go to a concert for the first time, it'll be easy next time.

Especially if you're by yourself. I always went with people so I was really nervous when I went by myself. Still get a little nervous but not that bad. I've been to twenty something shows now but we don't get a lot of bands I like here.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Especially if you're by yourself. I always went with people so I was really nervous when I went by myself. Still get a little nervous but not that bad. I've been to twenty something shows now but we don't get a lot of bands I like here.

Same here. It's hard to get these metal bands that I love to get up here into Canada. Luckily I'm only about an hour from Toronto cause if they DO come to Canada, they will play in Toronto.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Here's a question. It's winter here in Canada. Where do I put my coat when I go inside???
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
Here's a question. It's winter here in Canada. Where do I put my coat when I go inside???

I always wondered this. Same thing with the people who camp out; where do they put their stuff when they get in? Do they tell somebody to save their spot and go put it away in their car?

Edit: but it's an Opera House in your case, just put it under your seat.
Is 7:30 the actual concert time or is that when the doors open? If 7:30 is the start of the concert, I'd recommend getting there at least a half hour earlier, but it would be even better to get there 45-60 minutes before the concert starts. If the doors open at 7:30 on the other hand, getting there 15-20 minutes early will almost certainly guarantee you a good spot. But even if you get there relatively late, in most cases, it's pretty easy to find a decent spot in the middle.

If you want to get really close, arrive there damned early. But remember that closer up isn't always better unless your priority is pictures, and not the actual music (or your eardrums.)
I have no clue. I always kept shit on my arm when I bought a shirt or something. The only places I went in the winter were big event centers where we could bolt inside without needing a coat. A jacket was good enough to get in the building. Usually the time is when doors open. And people will mill about during sets. They won't find a spot and never leave.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by 365_days_gone

They might have a cloak room, otherwise tie it round your waist, which is also useful for making your wallet/phone/whatever harder to steal or lose
Quote by strait jacket
They might have a cloak room, otherwise tie it round your waist, which is also useful for making your wallet/phone/whatever harder to steal or lose

I'd recommend putting your wallet/phone in your pants pockets anyway, but that's just me. Nothing went missing when I saw Gorguts and Origin earlier this month, and I used the coat room, but that's at a mid-sized college town; I can't really say anything about Toronto.