I recently got an ESP LTD EC-1000 and I have been keeping it on a guitar stand. Would it be safer if I bought a case?
Only if you have people running around that could knock it over.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, either a hardcase or a gigbag.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
If I get a case, I would probably go for a hard shell case. How much do they usually cost? What kind of case would I be looking at getting for an ESP LTD EC-1000?
I don't get keeping guitars in cases at home. That shit is way too inconvenient. I have a 7 guitar rack. Gonna get wall hangers soon too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have all of mine in a case until my other house is done being remodeled. Only takes a minute to get a guitar out, by then I can hit standby and start playing. I don't find it's that big of a deal. But that's just me.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I keep mine wrapped in newspaper while my other refrigerator box is being remodeled.

But normally I keep mine on a stand if I'm about to use it but in a case if I'm not.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Offworld92
I don't get keeping guitars in cases at home. That shit is way too inconvenient. I have a 7 guitar rack. Gonna get wall hangers soon too.

All my cases are out in the garage.
At home, I keep them in my Proline rack (See guitar stand threads).
And covered with a sheet of some sort. It gets very dusty around here.
Quote by Offworld92

I'm in the same part of the world you are, roughly (Los Angeles). I'm guessing you haven't been through a serious quake yet?

Mine aren't going on wall hangers, and they stay in cases. Three reasons: Clumsy friends, athletic cats and earthquakes.
Always get a case. Where else are people suppose to throw their money when you're playing?
$100 for a good generic (Gator, Roadrunner, SKB, etc). $50-70 for a cheap generic.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by dspellman
I'm in the same part of the world you are, roughly (Los Angeles). I'm guessing you haven't been through a serious quake yet?

Mine aren't going on wall hangers, and they stay in cases. Three reasons: Clumsy friends, athletic cats and earthquakes.

I lived in Alaska for several years, which I'm guessing has at least as many human-perceptible earthquakes annually as LA, and I've never had a guitar come off a wall hanger...

You just need better friends and cats! (I have people over nearly every week to play, and have yet to have a calamity, but I concede the potential. As for the cat concern, humans are the only animal allowed in the guitar room / man cave.)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
i tend to keep my guitars in cases, for my own reasons. but if a stand is secure then that should be good enough, there are no absolutes in such questions. figure out what works best for you.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Offworld92
One word - corrosion.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
One word - corrosion.

One more word - Pfagh!

And that's coming from a guy that lives in a high humidity / salt air location.

It's been my experience that it takes only minimal maintenance to keep corrosion from ever becoming an issue, YMMV.
Charles Darwin
Most of my guitars have never spent more than a day or two in their cases since I've owned them. I put the cases out in the garage and hang the guitars on the wall or place them on stands. Only time I use the case is if I take it somewhere. I've yet to have any corrosion occur (I do live in AZ, though) on my guitars and dust isn't an issue. keeping guitars in cases takes up way too much room.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
In my house, pets can be a huge issue! The last time one of my dogs (and just a little wiener dog!) ran right into my stand and knocked down my Schecter, and now there's a decent sized piece missing from the body. It doesn't really bother me because it is a guitar that has been played to all hell, but at first it bugged me alot. Now it is just a part of it, or not a part of it for that matter...
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
OP don't spend money on a case if you can't justify a guitar fret board conditioner from yesterday.

get a case.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard
One word - corrosion.

Do you live close to the water? There are mountains between me and the ocean, I have never had any issue whatsoever with humidity or moisture. So I guess other people might have valid reason to store in cases that I'm just not comprehending.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Do you live close to the water? There are mountains between me and the ocean, I have never had any issue whatsoever with humidity or moisture. So I guess other people might have valid reason to store in cases that I'm just not comprehending.

+ i am pretty much a block and a half off of the gulf. never had an issue with any form of any kind of rust corrosion.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hell yes you should get a case... every guitar should have a case.

IMHO, no better value for the money than this: Rondo Flight Case

I got mine for $80, looks like they're up to $90 now, and I still think that's a steal.

A few pics of mine...

HTH,

ORCRiST
Last edited by ORCRiST at Dec 31, 2013,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+ i am pretty much a block and a half off of the gulf. never had an issue with any form of any kind of rust corrosion.

Add to that the fact that the environment (humidity and temperature) inside the case is the same as the ambient conditions where the case is stored and I simply don't see the value?

Granted, if one has an airtight case that may not apply, but I'm guessing few here are taking it to that level. Even the Pelican cases I have aren't 'airtight', although they are watertight.

Protection from sunlight, dust and damage? Sure.

Corrosion, not so much. That's a function of proper maintenance.
Charles Darwin
I have noticed the strings seem to stay better longer when my guitar is in a case but I still leave them sitting on chairs

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Most of my guitars are in the same room as a stack of snake tanks making a lot of heat and humidity and I have never had an issue with corrosion.
If you can't tell from all of these replies, get a case if you plan on becoming more serious with a guitar, if you just want to play guitar for recreation, Still get a case or a less expensive gigbag.
If you care about your guitar you will have a case for it. One day you will have to take it somewhere and you'll be glad you had the case. Just get one.
[..BLACKFIRE..]