Hey guys,

I recently purchased an ESP Eclipse II from a private seller.

I am in love with the guitar but have recently began to question the authenticity of the guitar. The quality is incredible, and it plays better than anything I have ever owned, yet a few details bother me.

The major thing is the back cavity cover does not have the ESP sticker on it like my other ESPs have. Instead it has these two small stickers, explaining that there is a battery that needs to be properly disposed of.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/ZakkWylde470/ESP_EclipseIGlsblk.jpg

I have seem these stickers on the backs of several Eclipse I's but the Eclipse II's always have a back that looks like this.

http://s4fd51f63b98db.img.gostorego.com/809E82/cdn/media/s4/fd/51/f6/3b/98/db/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/s/esp_eclipse-ii_silver_sparkle_w_duncans_and_case_japan_mij_electric_guitar_5_.jpg

I apologize for not placing these images directly in the post, but it has been a while since I have posted and have forgotten how to do so.

Any help would be appreciated,

I have emailed ESP and asked for their assistance but their contact page seems to be misbehaving at the time being.
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Seems like a legit ESP. It would be pretty difficult to duplicate those inlays and headstock. It also has the ESP painted logo on the back of the neck. I would say that's all that matters, along with the serial number. Maybe someone just took that sticker off. The other stickers are just reminding you to replace the battery that runs the EMG pickups.
The horn looks way different on picture 2 in comparison to the first picture. I'm not sure if that makes it a fake though, could be that they changed that over the years.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by pharris125
Seems like a legit ESP. It would be pretty difficult to duplicate those inlays and headstock. It also has the ESP painted logo on the back of the neck. I would say that's all that matters, along with the serial number. Maybe someone just took that sticker off. The other stickers are just reminding you to replace the battery that runs the EMG pickups.

ESP's are counterfeited all the time look at some of the Chinese websites like dhgate/tradetang.

I'm not an ESP expert so I'm not sure if the control cavities and the horn are soposed to be so different between the Eclipse I and II
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Eclipse I CTM as sold in Europe looks exactly like the one in the first picture. I should know, I own one - as does every single metal guitarist in Sweden. The second one is the Eclipse II, sold in the US.

If there is nothing in the details that suggest otherwise, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. There never was any large ESP sticker on mine other than the small stickers shown in the first picture.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Dec 30, 2013,
BTW, if that IS an Eclipse 1 and if there's any danger that it might have come from a Swedish Metalball player, be sure to take it by the Center for Research on Advanced Priapism (CRAP) to have it checked for heavy metal infestation. It's an increasing concern in all countries, and the organization in the EU is leading the fight for a cure. Do it for The Children.
Many players take the sticker off the guitar. I know I took mine off right away.

That looks like a legit Eclipse, albeit an older one (as it has 2 volume/2 tone). Is the body parallel to the neck or is it at a slight angle (with a raised bridge and bridge pickup)? Most copies have a parallel body/neck.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Thanks guys. The guitars in the pictures are not personally mine just pictures for reference that I had found on the Internet. Though with what you guys have said I'm confident it is a legitimate ESP. Thanks for the help!
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
Many players take the sticker off the guitar. I know I took mine off right away.

That looks like a legit Eclipse, albeit an older one (as it has 2 volume/2 tone). Is the body parallel to the neck or is it at a slight angle (with a raised bridge and bridge pickup)? Most copies have a parallel body/neck.

Just to clarify - The first one with 4 controls is the one that is still sold in Europe as the Eclipse I, both as the standard slim body and a full thickness variant much closer to the Gibson Les Paul. It is only in the US that ESP has been forced to change the cutaway and control layout.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.