Hi,

Does anyone know which LTD or Ibanez models are Baritone? I'm looking at both their websites but there's no marking or info on any of them, and manually checking the 3 billion ibanez guitars for a 26.5"+ scale is such a hassle..
Last edited by Xioinor at Dec 30, 2013,
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Ltd Mhb-400
Ltd Vb-400
Ltd Vb-300
Ltd Mhb-200

Just found out about the EC-401B
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 30, 2013,
Quote by Charvel1995

I thought Baritone guitars were 6 string, and it's those I'm looking at anyway.
Quote by Offworld92
Ltd Mhb-400
Ltd Vb-400
Ltd Vb-300
Ltd Mhb-200

Just found out about the EC-401B

I can't see those anywhere on ESP's website. Where did you find them? : o
Baritone can be any number of strings really.

25.5 is pretty much a standard scale for everything but Gibson. Even a lot of 7 and 8 strings are 25.5

Hell, my 7 string is 24.75" scale.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Baritone has nothing to do with the number of strings; It references the scale length of the instrument.

Ibanez RGD guitars are fantastic baritone instruments.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Do you have a price range? I was in the market for a baritone guitar a few months ago and unfortunately I didn't see a whole lot of 6 string options. If you're willing to branch out from LTD and Ibanez, then the Mike Mushok signature from PRS is a great option. I haven't had any problems with mine, and I like that despite it being a "signature" guitar it's features are not flashy or overbearing.

If you're willing to take a look at 7 or 8 strings, here is the Ibanez 2013 catalog which has some nice extended scale guitars. http://ibanez.s3.amazonaws.com/Cms/3051/Ibanez2013catalog.pdf

I didn't look very hard but just a skim of the ESP site returned this 27" scale LTD: http://www.espguitars.com/products/8736-ec-401b-blks
"Nothing of me is original, I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known." -Chuck Palahniuk
Last edited by FeelTheNoise23 at Dec 30, 2013,
Quote by Xioinor
I can't see those anywhere on ESP's website. Where did you find them? : o

They're all out of production.

Neither ESP or Ibanez have any 6 string baritones in production this year, I don't think.

eBay stores etc. still have a fair amount of 6 string Ibanez RGDs in stock. Try searching RGD421 or RGD321 (substitute a 0 for the 1 if you want a trem. They almost all have Edge IIIs though, which I don't recommend).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
They're all out of production.

Neither ESP or Ibanez have any 6 string baritones in production this year, I don't think.

eBay stores etc. still have a fair amount of 6 string Ibanez RGDs in stock. Try searching RGD421 or RGD321 (substitute a 0 for the 1 if you want a trem. They almost all have Edge IIIs though, which I don't recommend).

Hi, thanks for the info. I can unfortunately order only brand new guitars, in production - I'm from Norway and importing things here is too expensive and not worth it, so it's only things you can find in a store.

Quote by FeelTheNoise23
Do you have a price range? I was in the market for a baritone guitar a few months ago and unfortunately I didn't see a whole lot of 6 string options. If you're willing to branch out from LTD and Ibanez, then the Mike Mushok signature from PRS is a great option. I haven't had any problems with mine, and I like that despite it being a "signature" guitar it's features are not flashy or overbearing.

If you're willing to take a look at 7 or 8 strings, here is the Ibanez 2013 catalog which has some nice extended scale guitars. http://ibanez.s3.amazonaws.com/Cms/3051/Ibanez2013catalog.pdf

I didn't look very hard but just a skim of the ESP site returned this 27" scale LTD: http://www.espguitars.com/products/8736-ec-401b-blks

It's gonna be for home playing, hobby-like, so I don't want to spend too much on it. The Mike Mushok PRS seems really nice and not too expensive either.
What I don't like about it tho is the thick neck and the 22 monster-sized frets on a 27.7" scale. I have quite short fingers you see, and while i CAN play it, it just feels awkward and unnatural.

Good catch on the LTD btw, I think that's actually the only 6 string they have on the website. Too bad it's a Les Paul tho, I really don't like the shape...

Damn, buying a Baritone is difficult work.
Last edited by Xioinor at Dec 31, 2013,
It's gonna be for home playing, hobby-like, so I don't want to spend too much on it. The Mike Mushok PRS seems really nice and not too expensive either.
What I don't like about it tho is the thick neck and the 22 monster-sized frets on a 27.7" scale. I have quite short fingers you see, and while i CAN play it, it just feels awkward and unnatural.

Good catch on the LTD btw, I think that's actually the only 6 string they have on the website. Too bad it's a Les Paul tho, I really don't like the shape...

Damn, buying a Baritone is difficult work.

Yeah searching for the perfect baritone is a little more hit or miss than buying a typical six string. The PRS does have a decent size neck, but I also have relatively small hands and haven't had much trouble playing it. Although it should be noted my other guitar is an Epiphone LP which has a pretty chunky neck, and my baritone playing is not extremely intricate (mostly for really chunky or droning riffs with power or occasionally barre chords).

You'll probably find that most baritones will feel pretty monstrous in your hands when you're getting used to them. The frets and strings will be bigger (I believe the Mushok PRS ships with a .68 as the low end string, and I'm actually planning on moving up to a .70 or .72). But they are also generally tuned lower; I keep mine tuned as a 7-string without the high E but a half step down (A#D#G#C#F#A# from low to high).

If you have one near by, your best bet would probably be to check if your local store has any baritone guitars and try one out.
"Nothing of me is original, I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known." -Chuck Palahniuk