I'm really needing to upgrade my amp situation. I'm really looking for something with that Brendon Small, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson type sound, warm, clean and articulate, even with overdrive. However, I don't have a disposable income, so I can't spend much. I'd prefer an amp, but interfaces and such are fine. Cheaper the better. I really like that Carvin Legacy sound, but I don't have that kind of money...
Aren't the legacies really cheap used? Or do you not want to go used?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Not want to bash, but Steve Vai and Eric Johnson have different sounds.

Especially Vai has such a particular midhonk, I could even tell sometimes when a guitar has an Evo in the bridge, such a distinct eq shape (think as if different positions on a wah pedal)

Also Ej plays strats with single coils and their fx setup is very different. Could you perhaps name some more guitarists with sounds u like, so I know what u mean by "warmth".

You did mention "clean and articulate", and those 2 players are known for their high standards on details as far as technique goes, so u might be unknowingly in awe of their playing rather then sound?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 30, 2013,
look for a used Peavey Valveking. you may need a pedal or two to get all you want. as mentioned the tones you mentioned are rather different and getting all that cheap is a rather tall order. by the way an amp isn't melodic the player is.
I think he means that "Smoothness" in the lead tone, not particularly their individual tones. Eric Johnson uses a Chandler Tube Driver/fuzz faces and old Marshalls and Fenders. I reckon TS will be happy with a Legacy and some form of Delay (Memory boy?) for them smooth lead lines.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

Quote by cliff_em_all
I think he means that "Smoothness" in the lead tone, not particularly their individual tones. Eric Johnson uses a Chandler Tube Driver/fuzz faces and old Marshalls and Fenders. I reckon TS will be happy with a Legacy and some form of Delay (Memory boy?) for them smooth lead lines.

Perhaps, but that's still in technique. I have seen both live, and while Eric's sound is indeed quite fluid, Vai's single notes stand out as accented and plucky as when I play chords.
Only smoothed out by filtering a line through his wah or indeed as you mentioned a delay, and legato technique offcourse.

Then again, Vai plays extremely loud live, so maybe that's the reason, but I suspect his mid honk still.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
What is your:
budget?
location?
new or used?
do you gig or play with others?
what gear do you currently have?

answer these and we can help you more
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by cliff_em_all

This. I suck at explaining it, but it's a very clean, smooth and beautiful tone, all the right harmonics and just over all pleasantness.

Quote by xxdarrenxx
Perhaps, but that's still in technique. I have seen both live, and while Eric's sound is indeed quite fluid, Vai's single notes stand out as accented and plucky as when I play chords.
Only smoothed out by filtering a line through his wah or indeed as you mentioned a delay, and legato technique offcourse.

Then again, Vai plays extremely loud live, so maybe that's the reason, but I suspect his mid honk still.

See, I don't like that honk sound, I'm thinking more along the lines of something like For The Love of God. But I don't want just soft sounds, but when it goes well to metal like Brendon Small does with Dethklok, a good example is Skyhunter or The Duel from Doomstar Requiem. This type of tone has a nice harmonic sound on its own.
Quote by Robbgnarly
What is your:
budget?
location?
new or used?
do you gig or play with others?
what gear do you currently have?

answer these and we can help you more

Budget is as low as possible, but I can save up slowly while taking care of all the other money sucking things. Not ready to buy at the moment, looking for average prices. I do indeed approve of used gear, I don't gig, but would like to in the future. I currently have an Epiphone Explorer I'm going to be upgrading to Dimarzio Paf Pros.

Also, I thought even used, legacys were kinda expensive
Quote by Velcro Man
Budget is as low as possible, but I can save up slowly while taking care of all the other money sucking things. Not ready to buy at the moment, looking for average prices. I do indeed approve of used gear, I don't gig, but would like to in the future. I currently have an Epiphone Explorer I'm going to be upgrading to Dimarzio Paf Pros.

Also, I thought even used, legacys were kinda expensive

There is a Legacy head for $489 at www.guitarcenter.com/used you can call the store and get it cheaper, probably $400. Then get a decent 2x12 cab and they also have a few Legacy 2x12's for $300

So realistically what is your budget?

EDIT: you can get a Peavey Valveking 1x12 combo for <$300 used on that site also. Probably your best cheap option
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 30, 2013,
Quote by Velcro Man
This. I suck at explaining it, but it's a very clean, smooth and beautiful tone, all the right harmonics and just over all pleasantness.

See, I don't like that honk sound, I'm thinking more along the lines of something like For The Love of God. But I don't want just soft sounds, but when it goes well to metal like Brendon Small does with Dethklok, a good example is Skyhunter or The Duel from Doomstar Requiem. This type of tone has a nice harmonic sound on its own.

Listened to the duel song thing.

One thing EJ, Vai, and that song have in common. Heavy use of legato.

I really think you mean this legato technique, cause all those sounds are totally different ballparks. Not to mention u specifically dont want a honk, which technique wise is indeed the opposite of the legato sound.

What does improve the sound of this technique and/or make it easier, is a guitar with humbuckers and low action, and upping the gain.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Oh yes, technique is a huge part of the fluid sound. good legato, being able to really get that sustain with your technique. However you are going to need an amp to really get that icing on the cake. I'm not really into that kind of tone anymore, but i remember liking the Legacy for that and also i did like the Vetta 2 head with the right amps and effects chain dialled in.
Quote by ZanasCross

Quote by Velcro Man
I'm really needing to upgrade my amp situation. I'm really looking for something with that Brendon Small, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson type sound, warm, clean and articulate, even with overdrive. However, I don't have a disposable income, so I can't spend much. I'd prefer an amp, but interfaces and such are fine. Cheaper the better. I really like that Carvin Legacy sound, but I don't have that kind of money...

Take a look at the Carvin Nomad or Belair, and try the SOAK channel on those. Designed with Allan Holdsworth.
Oh, I love me some legato, and the amp settings aren't the biggest part of their tone, I understand that, it's just that little extra. Marshalls and EMGs just sound...dull to me, like it's strictly the note, take it or leave it, which is great for some things, but I just like to hear the guitar coming through, it's almost an acoustic like sound
I've been meaning to check out the Valveking series, always been a fan of peaveys, I suppose I foolishly expected them to just be a gimmick, crap amp that happens to have tubes type of deal, I'll look into them!
There is a used Valveking 1x12 50 watt for $199 at www.guitarcenter.com right now and 2-3 of them for $219-$250. That is the best I have found price wise
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Velcro Man
I've been meaning to check out the Valveking series, always been a fan of peaveys, I suppose I foolishly expected them to just be a gimmick, crap amp that happens to have tubes type of deal, I'll look into them!

nope just a basic tube amp without a lot of frills. now it is Chinese made and can use some tweaking (better tubes and speaker) but it works and doesn't sound half bad. I've had one for a few about 3 years and use for practice or jams (main amp is peavey ultra 212) it takes pedals well and with a good overdrive slapped in front can get a real decent tone. tough to beat for the price (especially used) separate clean and dirty channels with their own eqs.