Hi people on this forum,
I need some advice on buying an amp.
I have a richwood rd16ce acoustic-electric guitar, but in the future I want to buy a electric guitar (I think in about a year I'll have enough cash).
My question is: Should I buy an electric guitar amp? And could I use that amp to run effects over my acoustic-electric?
Though it technically will work and it's unprobable you would damage the amp, I'd actually rather getan electric gutiar amp because theoretically an acoustic guitar doesn't need amplification, unless you play it live.

Theoretically you can even use a electic guitar amp for other instruments. My co-guitarist even once used his Peavey Bandit for amplifing his electric violin. But there's a reason why different instruments have each own amplifiers. An electric gutiar will sound best through its respective amp, same thing applies for an acoustic guitar, which is simply due to the individual frequency spectrum each instrument uses.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
I just started using my Taylor 110 acoustic into a SOVTEK MIG 100 (electric guitar amp) and it works fine. No issues running pedals either:

Seymour Duncan Woody>MXR Phase 90>MIG 100

Some people might prefer the tone of an amp specifically designed for acoustic guitar. I'm ok with my new set up..
Thanks for the replies, I don't think I'll need an amp specifically for acoustic guitars. So I will buy an electric guitar amp.
Look into the Peavey Vypyr VIP, it is designed to work well with electric, acoustic and even bass guitars, and is just all in all a really nice practice amp.
Quote by ~Luke~
Look into the Peavey Vypyr VIP, it is designed to work well with electric, acoustic and even bass guitars, and is just all in all a really nice practice amp.

The VIP series is real crap compared with the origial Vypyrs. Those used to be good. The electric-guitar amps of the VIPs are acceptable, but the bass and accoustic simulations are awfull. Don't bother getting one.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
I have one last question.
If would have my acoustic plugged in an amp, and would "accidentally" hit the distortion, would it damage the amp?
No, go ahead and throw some distortion on (I occasionally like a *little" distortion on my acoustics to get them an edgy sound when I play many notes at once). You won't damage the amp.

If you have a lot of distortion on, you're likely to get feedback with an acoustic guitar. That might be a screech through the pickups, or your strings will get vibrating (same as an electric guitar). What you don't want to do is get a lot of feedback into our acoustic guitar where your sound chamber in an acoustic guitar is vibrating like mad. Probably not with a small practice amp, but at some point, you'll feel the acoustic guitar really vibrating away in your hands, and I suspect you could reach a point of damaging it. It can throw a lot of energy into shaking an acoustic guitar. So that's probably a bigger worry. Getting a little feedback into it normal and something we've probably all done, try not to get the whole thing shaking in your hands. You don't need the distortion on to do that.
Quote by Dragonfyre137
The VIP series is real crap compared with the origial Vypyrs. Those used to be good. The electric-guitar amps of the VIPs are acceptable, but the bass and accoustic simulations are awfull. Don't bother getting one.

That was not the impression I got from Offworld but I've never played one.

TS - I would think you would be fine doing what you want to do.
Quote by ~Luke~

+1

I sent this as a PM to someone who asked me about the VIPs, I'll post it here because I'm not in the best state of mind at the moment to come up with original thoughts on the amp.

I wrote this post specifically about the bass models, but the same gist of the message can be applied to the acoustic models.

Quote by offworld92

The VIP amps are practice amps, and if you want to play bass through one, I would only recommend the 3 - as 100W is basically practice wattage for bass. I play bass in my band through a 600W 115 combo, and that is just barely enough to cut through the mix. The VIP3 will not cut it in a band situation, but for practicing alone, it's great.

The only issue I have with it is that due to the nature of bass requiring exponentially more wattage to be around the same audible levels, if you switch between bass and guitar, you're going to have to dial the master volume knob way back for guitar (you need to crank it pretty high to hear your bass). But that's pretty much just a minor issue.

Soundwise... it's no Ampeg. But for the price, it's not expected to be. It doesn't sound great, but it does sound passable/decent, and, for me anyway, that's enough for practicing & writing.

Quote by Dragonfyre137

I strongly disagree. I own the VIP-3 as well as the Tube 120H. The more I play the VIP, the more I realize that they are more different than similar, but regardless the VIP still blows its competition out of the water. I primarily use the Budda models (and can I gush for a second about the fact that it has Budda models?), and they're fantastic fun to play. They react to pick and volume dynamics. What more can you ask for from a solid state amp?

I'm at a bit of a loss for good words right now, but bring up your issues with the amp, and I can make specific rebuttals and opinions to what you found so unimpressive about it.

PS: I consider myself pretty well versed as far as Vypyrs go. I've owned the 15W, 75W, and now currently own the Tube 120H and the VIP-3. Obviously I'm a big fan, and I'm just throwing my credentials on the amps out there to establish myself as somewhat of an authority on the subject.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X