So, I love the cool, laid back sound of chet baker's music. Does anyone know any artists with similar sounds?

Also, I've been thinking (and this isn't really related): could you consider JJ Cale as the Chet Baker of Blues? Both IMO have very minimal, laid back styles, short, melodic songs (regarding Baker I'm looking at the Sings album) . Maybe it's just me being stupid though

EDIT: If this is supposed to be in suggested listening, I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
Last edited by clegtr at Dec 30, 2013,
Seeing as how Chet is a C-jazz artist, you may also want to check out Art Farmer, Art Pepper, Dave Brubeck, Gerry Mulligan, Julie London, Shorty Rogers or Stan Getz. By the way, C-jazz is Cool Jazz, in case you weren't aware. Do a search on C-jazz or West Coast Jazz artists and you'll likely find several that you like.

Brian Hughes
Andy Snitzer
Boney James
Chris Botti
Chuck Loeb
Dave Koz
David Benoit
Gabriela Anders
Jamie Cullum
Keiko Matsui
Larry Carlton
Laura Fygi
Michael Franks
Najee
Paul Brown
Peter White
Sade
Wayman Tisdale

I could've added a lot more, but I suspect if you Google these cool cats, you'll find something you like and expand your repertoire even further.

Edit: Oh, if you have access to an XM satellite radio, check out channel 66 for C-jazz and 67 for jazz standards. I've got 66 playing on the mixer's "2 track in" input right now here in the home studio.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Dec 30, 2013,
Thank you, I knew he was West Coast Jazz and that it is a subgenre of Cool Jazz, but how do they compare? Is West coast Jazz even more laid back than cool?
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
Personally, I think that C-jazz and West Coast Jazz are quite similar. Listening to 66 on XM right now and I honestly couldn't tell you if this song by Gerald Albright is C-jazz or West Coast. By the way, Gerald is another cool artist.

If you're really interested in staying within that same type feel as Chet, check out the first group I posted. Art Farmer, for example, has that same minimalist feel as Chet.
Thanks Ill check out the artists on your list. Unfortunately, I dont think I can access XM radio since I live in europe and it seems to be exclusively for the US.

Also thanks for explainibg the difference between cool and wetcoast, I always thought that there had to be some stilistic difference as well, but nevermind
-Douglas Adams