I have been playing guitar for a couple of years now and I am starting to need some new pedals. my current rig consits of a Boss BD-2, Boss DS-1 and a USA Big Muff Pi. Those effects are used with my Fender Solid State Combo. I know a lot of people will say get a tube amp but I don't have a lot of money and if I were to get A tube amp I would want to get a nice one. I do tins the tone of the amp anyways.

The guitars I have are a Squier strat, partsocaster and an Epiphone ES-335 pro.

I am currently just playing in the basement with my brother who plays bass and I am still building up my skills. I probably won't be playing live anytime soon since I am only 15 and my guitar skills are a work in progress.

Now I was planning on buying a used Digitech RP-500 for around $180-200 used on ebay. Since Christmas just passed so I have some extra cash. I have $200 dollars I am willing to spend.

The pedals that I would buy if I were to get individual pedals would be a tuner and a delay. Possibly a wah instead of a tuner. This is were I need help. I would be getting 2 maybe 3 pedals for 200 dollars or I can get a bunch. Yes I know the distortion and OD models are not that great but I would not use them that often since I have some. I would brushing the effects like Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Phaser, Whammy, Wah, Looper and theamp models.

For me it makes sense to get the RP500 because of it versatility. I know the effects aren't as good as the real pedals but I find it hard to believe the digital delay on this pedal is much different than a delay pedal I would get anyway under $100.

Thanks for the input and the advice.
I wouldn't recommend the RP500, but a Zoom G3/5 or Line 6 M9 would be a great investment for you.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
well, looks like you already addressed the crux of the problem. you can get a couple of effects boxes or a bunch of effects in one box.

if you want to experiment and try out a number of effects then i'd probably go with the rp500. once you get a better idea of what effects you like better then maybe you can consider getting individual pedals later on.

Quote by averyev32
The pedals that I would buy if I were to get individual pedals would be a tuner and a delay. Possibly a wah instead of a tuner. I would brushing the effects like Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Phaser, Whammy, Wah, Looper and theamp models.

the distortions can be alright at times, i have not run into wah pedals i have liked on a MFX yet.

Quote by averyev32
For me it makes sense to get the RP500 because of it versatility. I know the effects aren't as good as the real pedals but I find it hard to believe the digital delay on this pedal is much different than a delay pedal I would get anyway under $100.

some effects are just as good as standalone pedals. a MFX is a group of digital pedals, i contains an analog to digital converter, then processes the signal with a DSP chip and converts the signal back to an analog signal.

in this since the digitech rp500 should be very similar to it's hardwired line of pedals.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The RP500 is a good multifx, but I would place the used value at $125 tops. An RP1000 could be gotten for $200. If you could find a G5 for $200 I would hit it. The G5 has a drum machine and synchronized looper, which is a rare (as in non-existent) find in multifx except the G3/G3X or older GNX3/4.

I checked completed listings on eBay for the RP and even though it's selling higher I still stick by my valuation because these units are near end of life in the market. The higher prices IMO reflect that the RP is considered a solid unit by many including myself.

The lowest completed listings for the G5 incl shipping is well under $200, which is a deal if you can find one.
Quote by gumbilicious
a MFX is a group of digital pedals, i contains an analog to digital converter, then processes the signal with a DSP chip and converts the signal back to an analog signal.
Unless you have a GP-8.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Unless you have a GP-8.

catch (Exception GP-8) {
  console.printLine("eat chain");
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
From what I've heard I find Boss and Zoom multi fx pedals to be really great. Tho the decision between multi fx and analog is a matter of preference tho.
What's your amp? This might be one of those ocasions a vyper tube 60 or one of its solid state cousins might be in order.

Edit saw fender solid state, definitly a new amp.

Edit 2 saw other effects, try hunting down a valveking combo, I have seen them go for 200 you might get lucky. I didn't like the zoom g5 when I tried it it sounded a bit flat. You might be able to go with individual pedals though if you go used. crybay wah 30 bucks, dan electro fab flanger 15 bucks, used boss modulation pedal 40-50 bucks. Mxr dyna comp 40-70 bucks, there are plenty of awesome delays out there used sub100 bucks, reverb there isn't as many choices. If your in the states check out guitar center used .
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Dec 30, 2013,
think the answer lies more in what specific sounds you want and feel you need. I'm a pedal guy but have a clear idea of what I want sound wise and like to keep things simple. if you want to experiment then the mfx unit is the way to go. your amp is known for being kinda sterile sounding with crappy distortion. not a big fan of digital distortion through an amp ( I use a POD for recording but it just doesn't sound great when run through either of my amps)