Hi guys. Trying to decide between a bc rich jr V icon or an nj deluxe warlock.
Both guitars are fully equipped for the style of music that I play, but there are pros and cons with both.

The V is great and comes in a finish with my two favorite colors. The neck is maple, so it wont be as neck heavy. The warlock on the other hand has a mahogany neck. I've played mahogany necks before and I dont really like them. Those ****ers dive too much.

One of the thing that sucks is that the V only has one pickup. If I bought it and payed for the labor and another pickup, could a tech install a neck pickup for me??

Lastly, I dont know this for sure, but I am pretty certain that at least the V has a glossy finish on its neck. This ****ing blows. I want a fast neck!!!! I am guessing the warlock has that same glossy finish???

I am kind of stuck here fellas, and would appreciate some guidance. If you have tried any or especially both of these models, please let me know what you think the better buy would be.

P.S. No B.C. bashing!!! Only the old chinese models were complete shit! RGs have the BEST necks, but I am sick and tired of playing strat shapes. I want great playability, and killer metal looks. Thank you.
If I wanted a guitar with 2 pickups, I wouldn't buy one routed only for one. It will cost more than it's worth to get all that done in the aftermarket.

I looked around for that BC Rich Jr V Icon- not one I'm familiar with- and it seems to be @$800, and as you say, has only the bridge EMG 81.

I have 2 Fernandes Ravelles- with a third on the way- and I an say they're definitely made for heavier rock, and are well-made.

And Fernandes Vortex Elite is a V with the EMG 81 in the bridge...and a Sustainer pickup in the neck. Currently, Fernandes is selling a limited number of them from its direct-sales website at a big discount.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/vortex/vortex-elite.html
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/vortex/66-vortex-elite.html

Fernandes is also offering similar deals on these guitars (the latter 2 have passive SH-4JBs instead of EMG 81s):

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/vertigo/65-vertigo-elite.html
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/monterey/64-monterey-elite-tremolo.html
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/ravelle/63-ravelle-elite-tremolo.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 30, 2013,
Thanks a lot for the reply, man!!!

I forgot to mention that I'm a lefty. Thats why. The warlock comes in lefty and theres a site that specifically sells the V as well. (It was a custom run)

I good always make my own guitar over at warmoth.com, but it's gonna cost so much ****ing money! :/

Expensive toys. Guitar layer problems i guess, haha.
Ah. Lefty.

Try looking here:
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/lh_electrics.htm

In the meantime, I'd bet getting a Warmoth body would be cheaper than buying the BC Rich and having it rerouted & rewired for a neck pickup.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I would be looking at Jackson V's or Kelly's in the same price band over budget & mid range BC rich stuff any day. I know you said no BC bashing but in fairness anything below their USA made models are sketchy at best. There are far better instruments to be had in the same price bracket that will have that metal "Look" you are after. I say shop around a little more before you pull the trigger on a BC Rich. You won't regret it.
Last edited by SHaun Steel at Dec 30, 2013,
Quote by DeathShredder23
Hi guys. Trying to decide between a bc rich jr V icon or an nj deluxe warlock.
Both guitars are fully equipped for the style of music that I play, but there are pros and cons with both.

The V is great and comes in a finish with my two favorite colors. The neck is maple, so it wont be as neck heavy. The warlock on the other hand has a mahogany neck. I've played mahogany necks before and I dont really like them. Those ****ers dive too much.

One of the thing that sucks is that the V only has one pickup. If I bought it and payed for the labor and another pickup, could a tech install a neck pickup for me??

Lastly, I dont know this for sure, but I am pretty certain that at least the V has a glossy finish on its neck. This ****ing blows. I want a fast neck!!!! I am guessing the warlock has that same glossy finish???

I am kind of stuck here fellas, and would appreciate some guidance. If you have tried any or especially both of these models, please let me know what you think the better buy would be.

P.S. No B.C. bashing!!! Only the old chinese models were complete shit! RGs have the BEST necks, but I am sick and tired of playing strat shapes. I want great playability, and killer metal looks. Thank you.

I have the Warlock NJ Deluxe and it's a great axe. High quality all the way, you wouldn't regret the buy. They also make a V with 2 pickups you may be interested in, the JR V NJ Deluxe.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by SHaun Steel
I know you said no BC bashing but in fairness anything below their USA made models are sketchy at best. There are far better instruments to be had in the same price bracket that will have that metal "Look" you are after. I say shop around a little more before you pull the trigger on a BC Rich. You won't regret it.

This person doesn't know what they're talking about. All bad info.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I have had guitars from BC Rich's platmium, bronze and NJ range all firewood simple as that really. I also have a USA Gunslinger which is good but even then not worth big $$ you have to pay for them to do it properly.

Quote by SHaun Steel
I have had guitars from BC Rich's platmium, bronze and NJ range all firewood simple as that really. I also have a USA Gunslinger which is good but even then not worth big $$ you have to pay for them to do it properly.

You have neither one of the one's he is asking about. You have had cheaper ones and old ones they don't make anymore. Bronze series?
[..BLACKFIRE..]

Quote by Blackfire.
I have the Warlock NJ Deluxe and it's a great axe. High quality all the way, you wouldn't regret the buy. They also make a V with 2 pickups you may be interested in, the JR V NJ Deluxe.

Does the Nj deluxe Warlock neck dive with good strap? Just asking. I am a Les Paul guy but i have an itch for bit over the top guitar too, just for black metal.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Quote by MaaZeus
Does the Nj deluxe Warlock neck dive with good strap? Just asking. I am a Les Paul guy but i have an itch for bit over the top guitar too, just for black metal.

It is only a little neck heavy, I use a leather strap and when I let go of the guitar it doesn't dive or anything.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
http://www.rondomusic.com/hornetpro725bkllh.html

I had my eye on this ^^^ The only problem is that the floyd is licensed, so if I bought it what would you recommend? Keep the shitty trem system and get locking tuners installed or buy a new original floyd trem?

I would have to swap the emgs out as well. I'm not a huge fan of active electronics despite being a GIANT metalhead. If I was going to go with active electronics, they'd be blackouts, or at east the new 57/66 combo from EMG.

What should i do guys? I'm completely tossed up here. The BC rich V only has one humbucker so I guess i could tune it to drop C and just play metal as it was intended.
I ****ing LOVE the color scheme though, as red and black are my favorite colors.

This is driving me metal thrashing mad...
Quote by DeathShredder23
http://www.rondomusic.com/hornetpro725bkllh.html

I had my eye on this ^^^ The only problem is that the floyd is licensed, so if I bought it what would you recommend? Keep the shitty trem system and get locking tuners installed or buy a new original floyd trem?

I would have to swap the emgs out as well. I'm not a huge fan of active electronics despite being a GIANT metalhead. If I was going to go with active electronics, they'd be blackouts, or at east the new 57/66 combo from EMG.

What should i do guys? I'm completely tossed up here. The BC rich V only has one humbucker so I guess i could tune it to drop C and just play metal as it was intended.
I ****ing LOVE the color scheme though, as red and black are my favorite colors.

That Hornet Pro is also a 7 string. The BC Rich is a 6 string.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Yea I realize its a 7. I figured it would be alright though because its a 25.5 scale and thats where im most comfortable. I've never owned a 7 before, and it would cool to learn to trivium and unearth songs.

What would you do about the shitty tremolo, though, blackfire?

Be honest, how often do you really use the neck pickup anyway, hmmm? In metal (atleast the extreme kind) its all bridge and that 5 second sappy clean intro could be recorded with any other guitar you have and live it comes from tape. Face it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 30, 2013,
Quote by DeathShredder23

AH! I didn't realize that you're not a fan of actives. (Not a big fan, either.)

Look, were I in your shoes, I would try to find a lefty guitar I liked the feel of, then do a pup swap, if needed. DO NOT buy a single pickup guitar if you think you want two or more.

Even refinishing a guitar to have the black/red combo you like (or something else) or buying from Warmoth would be cheaper than rerouting & rewiring a guitar for more pickups. Because if you do all that work, you're probably going to need a new finish anyway.

To give you an idea what a good refinishing job looks like and costs, check this out:
http://www.martybellfinishing.com/index.html
http://www.martybellfinishing.com/prices.html

(His galleries will knock you on your ass.)

Quote by DeathShredder23
Yea I realize its a 7. I figured it would be alright though because its a 25.5 scale and thats where im most comfortable. I've never owned a 7 before, and it would cool to learn to trivium and unearth songs.

What would you do about the shitty tremolo, though, blackfire?

You could just use it until it died on you. Then most likely put an Original on it, which would add a lot to the cost though.

Quote by MaaZeus
Be honest, how often do you really use the neck pickup anyway, hmmm? In metal (atleast the extreme kind) its all bridge and that 5 second sappy clean intro could be recorded with any other guitar you have and live it comes from tape. Face it.

He makes a good point...
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
He makes a good point...

Yea I agree. You guys are right. I guess I'll either go with the V, or make a custom body and neck through warmoth. Either way, it's gonna beat the shit outta my wallet...

Being lefty... ****ing discrimination, man.

Oh well.
Quote by SHaun Steel

if they were fire wood then why did you keep buying them lol. Gunslingers were one of the cheaper US models. currently a US version of any of the original shapes will rum you $2500 and they are as nice as any other guitar in that range. many of the NJ series guitars from the last 10 years or so have been excellent guitars. I currently play a 2006 Eagle and think it's a great guitar. BC Rich has gotten a bad rap based on junkie 90s entry level guitars. they have improved quality overall and make some nice guitars. I bought a Mockingbird in the early 80s (US made) and at the time players were in awe of it. very few had them add it was considered a rock star brand. still kick myself for letting it go (traded it in for a Kramer Pacer -also American made- with a then new Floyd Rose trem.
Agreed that high-end BC Rich are decent. (I just don't care for their aesthetics or ergonomics.)

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Agreed that high-end BC Rich are decent. (I just don't care for their aesthetics or ergonomics.)

well many people don't and that's fine. I hate the widow headstocks on some of the more metal guitars myself. the old style 3 on a side headstock is fine.