Hi!
I just tried out my new boss ds-1 I got for christmas into my JCM 800, playing a telecaster 72 deluxe.
I had my settings something like this:
Tone- 11/12 o' clock
Level- 12 o' clock
Dist- 11/12 o' clock

I noticed that it sounds really compressed. I sat down tweaking my settings on both my amp and my pedal, but I couldn't seem to find a good setting.
Can anyone relate to this? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by juliusxxrock at Dec 30, 2013,
after all, it's a ds-1 try lowering the gain or running a booster before in the chain.
i'd normally run the gain and tone around 10 o'clock maybe. and maybe the level a bit higher. but other than that your settings don't sound that different from mine on my digitech hot head (glorified ds1 i think).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The DS-1 isn't known for being a highly sought after distortion pedal. I hate them, but I'd never played one through a good quality amp, so I don't really know that I don't like them.

It may just be not to your taste. Are you trying to run it as a boost or stand-alone distortion?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Joe Satriani uses it with gain up to max in the MIT models and at 2 o'clock in the MIJ models and tone at around 9 o'clock run through the clean channel of his amp. Steve Vai has his set up with tone at around 9 o'clock and gain at 11 o'clock run through a slightly crunched up tone from his amp. I find that both work well for me. I use mine through a clean channel but before an OD pedal. The OD pedal is for rhythm playing and when I need to go do lead I kick in the DS-1 for a sharper lead tone.
Quote by juliusxxrock
I tried alot of things, but it still sounded compressed, and kind of took away the fullness of a Marshall.
Any other ideas? I'm kind of clueless here..

a ds-1 is not the best distortion pedal. it sounds harsh and compressed pretty much everywhere.

they are great for modding. i mainly bought one as a toy to mod and play around with, you can actually get them sounding much better with a couple of bucks worth of parts
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
a ds-1 is not the best distortion pedal. it sounds harsh and compressed pretty much everywhere.

they are great for modding. i mainly bought one as a toy to mod and play around with, you can actually get them sounding much better with a couple of bucks worth of parts

Is there any good moddin tutorials? I've never really modded anything, ever (you know, except for minor mods such as changing pickups).
Is it hard? Are there easy-to-understand prints?
So many questions
The MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion is supposedly a modded DS-1. Just don't turn the tone knob past 12. I'm happy with mine!
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Quote by juliusxxrock
Is there any good moddin tutorials? I've never really modded anything, ever (you know, except for minor mods such as changing pickups).
Is it hard? Are there easy-to-understand prints?
So many questions

Greeting everyone. I posted this on the Strat-Talk group so I thought I would copy it here.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/DIYFiles/up/Build_Your_Own_DS-1_Distortion.pdf

Excellent mods and I found these instructions a little easier to follow than those on "Instructables". Page #13 is where the Keeley Ultra and Seeing-Eye mods are listed. This is the most straightforward instructions for this mod that I have found. Several other excellent mods in there also. Enjoy, Dave.
I got a DS-1 for Christmas as well. I've been using the "Joe Satriani" setting of Tone-9:00, Dist-MAX, Level-2:00. Sounds decent but a bit harsh and noisy. I think one key is to keep the Tone control down.

I ran across the document in the above post some time ago and plan on doing either the Ultra/Seeing Eye mod or the MIJ mod. Thanks for the post Dave
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Pretty much like edbert said, the best settings for the DS-1 are the tone less than 12:00 and the distortion close to maxed out. As for the compressed sound, that's just the nature of this pedal.