Hey guys so I got my new guitar recently, I'm not exactly sure what kind of strings it had on it gauge wise. I took them off because they're the cheap GFS strings. Problem i'm having now is the low E and A strings keep popping off the nut. Like when I go to do a bend on the A it'll come off the nut on go up towards the low e. I have no idea how to fix this? I tried filing the a string slot on the nut with a small knife, but i didnt do too much as i dont wanna **** with the playabilty. Especially if i gotta put 09's on there?

I put ernie ball colbalt slinkys 10's on there. Like i said i do not know the gauge gfs uses. I emailed them but i assume ill get better help here. thanks
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
Last edited by PoopShovel at Dec 30, 2013,
Do you have a guitar technician somewhere in your area? I'd ask him/her for help. Otherwise, some photos might help us. But it seems there's not much to do but get the guitar repaired.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
I'll try and get some photo's with my phone. And no i dont think there's any guitar techs around here....Didn't really wanna have to pay anything :/ lol
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
The way it sounds you might not have much of a choice. If there's something wrong with the nut, then you might need to replace it. You can always go and ask how much that might cost.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Ughh what a pain in the ass to upload pics. I tried doing it off of my phone, if it dosent work then idk if i can accurately show you guys :/

@dragon, if it's only a new nut then ill just buy one and get some super glue and do it myself
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
Okay, but be sure you know what you're doing. I have personally never stumbled upon this problem, but I can hardly immagine super glue is the answer to that. You might as well worsen things.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee

Sorry about the quality. Hope this can give you guys a better idea.
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
If it's a new guitar I'd take it back and exchange it for a different one. Show a pic of the entire headstock, maybe you strung up the strings in reverse on the tuners.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Last edited by Blackfire. at Dec 30, 2013,
Sorry for the double post. For anyone wants to know, this is a Xaviere XV-840 telecaster. those strings on there are colbalt slinky 10's. idk what was on there before. The low E also does what the A string is doing, but it's mainly the A
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
More turns on the tuning peg will put more string pressure on the nut. Did you cut your strings real short and only have one turn on the tuning peg, and there is no bend from the tuning peg to the nut?
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
it may have been that i strung them on reversed. if i did so, how do i make sure i put them on the right way? the A string can sit in the nut, it only pops out like that when i make a bend on it, or if i try and tune it.
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
jimmys, what are you talking about? how could the length of the slack and turns have an impact on that?

it's most likely a faulty nut, especially considering the price.

edit: lol
@Jimmy how do i wrap it the right way? I string several of my guitars like this already and didnt have any issues. It may just be the nut. supposedly its a hand cut bone one. maybe i can file it more? If i knew what the original strings on it were i'd just go to the store and put that gauge on there. I didnt have this problem before with the old strings.
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
Just what I suspected. Re-string the guitar but this time make sure they are wrapping around the tuner from right to left. The opposite direction you wrapped them last time.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I feel like a ****** asking this, but can i re-use the strings to restring it again the right way? I don't really have money to buy new ones atm
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
Quote by PoopShovel
I feel like a ****** asking this, but can i re-use the strings to restring it again the right way? I don't really have money to buy new ones atm

Sure, you can.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Alright thanks fellas I'll try my best to redo it. I'll get back to you guys if i continue having issues with it.
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
To make it clear: The strings should be wrapped counter-clickwise.
Just like here
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
I cant wrap them around the pegs like that. When they look neat and all, what you see in my pics is my best job, by hand anyway. I tried doing it the other way, but i think i'm just gonna order a new nut. I filed out the a slot some more to match the low e slot. it still dosent wanna hold the string in place.
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
Straighten the string out with needle nose pliers leaving the 90 degree and the end and start over with the E and A strings. Don't file anymore off the nut.

PM sent
I didnt get a PM from you man. I'm at my gf's house now. I was able to pick the guitar up and play it without any more issues after sanding down the nut on the a slot. However i got an email from guitarfetish saying that the guitar comes standard with 09's. That's what I thought. So when i get some money i'll buy a set of 09's. Just hope i didnt screw up the nut lol. Thanks for the advice jimmy, ill get some pliers out and do as you said there.
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55