I'm looking for a small tube amp purely for use at home, preferably around 5 watts.

I like mostly blues/classic rock so looking at stuff like AD/DC, Rainbow, Sabbath, Deep Purple.

I've been looking at the Bugera V55 and the Vox AC4 but I was wondering what people on here have used and what you might recommend!

Thanks!!

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350M
Ibanez JS100
Fender Strat

Amp:
Fender Blues Jr
Fender Champion 600
Washburn Southside

Effects:
POD HD300
Marshall Guv'Nor
Big Muff
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer PH9
Cry Baby Wah
The V55 isn't really small :P

I'd get a Vypyr Tube 60 or a V22 for that kinda stuff, maybe with an od to boost the V22.

Why would you want that small of an amp anyway?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Marshall Class 5 and a few pedals (TS-9, fuzz, delay, reverb) It is kinda like a mini Plexi which is basically the sounds you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a Marshall dsl1c and jvm1c. Both are great home practice amps. If you can find one you might like the jcm1 as well. That would be perfect for the era music you play. All of the 1 watters are loud enough for home practice and won't make your ears bleed. The JVM's clean channel is pretty awesome at 10. It breaks up and has some nice crunch. Are they worth $700? Well it depends on what you're looking for. I just play at home so I wanted some nice amps that don't piss off the neighbors. Amazon had the heads for aroud $599 last week. You may have better luck in the UK since I think they released more there.

I also have a blackstar ht5 and its a great amp but its stupid loud at home. I have to play it on 4 or less so I can't get the full sound out of it. I haven't heard the ht1 before but I assume its decent too.
why would u really want a tube amp for the house ? i know that
people love tube sound. but ur really not going to get much
out of a 5 watter with a cruddy speaker .

i would think most people would want something like small g dec fender
SS amp with built in loop for chord progressions and dual speaker for stereo chorus .

tubes use more electric i believe which is alright if u don't pay the bills

and if u really want to improve ur playing , play without an amp at all
for about a year i didn't just say that did i .

then u wont be able to stand the sound of an amp u would have to get use
to it but u would use less effects to keep from messing up ur sound with
a massive amount of effects ull also play at lower volumes
classic 30
egnater rebel (20W or 30w). whichever you fancy, all three can quiet down for night time volume up during the day or at some period.

wattage isn't what you think it is. (i am not an EE like a bunch of peole one here, so if i am wrong come and correct me.

a 10 watt amp is only half as loud as a 100 watt amp with all held constant.

wattage gives you more head room. so your cleans last longer before dirt. dime a Fender Dual Reverb v. a Fender twin.

its not hard to get breakup on the 22 watt DR, but you will have ringing in your ears for a few days, if you were to get a twin to wake up more watts hard to get it dirty.

if you want clean cleans you want more watts.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I too have the Blackstar HT5. Sound is fantastic but is very loud for home use if you have neighbours close by.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
classic 30
egnater rebel (20W or 30w). whichever you fancy, all three can quiet down for night time volume up during the day or at some period.

wattage isn't what you think it is. (i am not an EE like a bunch of peole one here, so if i am wrong come and correct me.

a 10 watt amp is only half as loud as a 100 watt amp with all held constant.

wattage gives you more head room. so your cleans last longer before dirt. dime a Fender Dual Reverb v. a Fender twin.

its not hard to get breakup on the 22 watt DR, but you will have ringing in your ears for a few days, if you were to get a twin to wake up more watts hard to get it dirty.

if you want clean cleans you want more watts.
Yeah, this is it.
Not sure if a rebel would sound vintagey enough for you, but the rest is something you need to know.

Say you have to buy a car, to use for going to the grocery store every day.
Now, say you can choose between a 458 and a DBS.
What you're doing asking for a 5w amp here is equal to not looking at the 458 because you couldn't use its full potential going to the grocery store.
Thing is, you wouldn't use half of the power of the DBS either, my point being that a 5w amp can get unreasonably loud, too.

So, since smaller amps usually have a lot less features and you wouldn't dime them either, if loudness is a problem, choose the one with the features you like most since bigger amps have volume too.

In fact, smaller amps - all of the already suggested marshall's - don't have master volume controls, meaning that to get distortion you either have to:
1. use pedals
2. turn up the volume to an unreasonably loud volume

Maybe not unreasonably loud, but enough to hurt your ears a bit if you're not used to that.
Bigger amps have a master volume, which in short means you can get distortion from the amp keeping the volume low, so in general, bigger is better in this case.

Also, a lot of small amps are reeeeally overpriced - the suggested 1w marshall's and the blackstar would cost as much as or more than a v22 or a classic 30 or a vypyr tube 60, so don't let yourself be fooled by the wattage = volume hype, and get yourself an amp that suits your needs, which in this case is a bigger amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I have a Bugera 6260 which is EXTREMELY loud, I keep this in my mate's practice room so I can make some noise until I get a band going again

Just after something small, quite quiet and sounds good to noodle away on at home.

I have young children so I play mostly after they've gone to bed which is why I want something that's not going to shake the roof!!

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350M
Ibanez JS100
Fender Strat

Amp:
Fender Blues Jr
Fender Champion 600
Washburn Southside

Effects:
POD HD300
Marshall Guv'Nor
Big Muff
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer PH9
Cry Baby Wah
guys, he said 5 watts. ac4 would be great. but i would buy a vox lil night train. 2 watts, easy to overdrive the pwer section and get an ACDC crunch.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by jemstar555

It sucks pretty bad

Look at the Marshall Class 5 it is what your describing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Great AC/DC sounds from a Marshall Class 5, but it's loud. GC staff all gave me uneasy looks when I turned it up enough to get overdrive. An amp with a master volume would suit you moreso. Try the Vox Lil' Night Train or an Orange Tiny Terror. They have a half power switch so it's a little easier to get good sounds at low volumes.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
The newer Class 5 has a wattage switch on the back that makes it more bedroom friendly (and a headphone out)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just bought a Bugera V22 and it's mighty nice at home levels with the triode switch on & the master @ about 5. I thnk you can pull off all the tones you're after with this amp.
I just got the AC4TV with the 10-inch speaker and for what it is, it is fantastic (keeping in mind that it is a tube amp that can be had for around $150). What surprised me most was the volume. I had never had a 4w amp and worried it would be too quiet but this thing can shake the walls of my house. If you only plan on using this amp at home, it will get louder than you ever need. Hell, I mostly use the 1/4w setting and it is more than enough. What's more, it gets loud enough before the tubes break up. The cleans sound fantastic. I would highly recommend it.
TS, the Rebel is great for bedroom playing. Its somewhat mislabeled Wattage control does a fine job of controlling power amp headroom. Then you can always have the added option of turning up the "wattage" and having the headroom and low-end response of a relatively large amp.

Not too much experience with the Tweaker. I don't even really use the tight and bright switches as is TBH.

TS, you have a house? You can get whatever you want and send the kids to the movies and the wife to the grocery store and crank it up!

A Plexi or a Twin maybe.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 1, 2014,
Quote by ssob
why would u really want a tube amp for the house ? i know that
people love tube sound. but ur really not going to get much
out of a 5 watter with a cruddy speaker .

i would think most people would want something like small g dec fender
SS amp with built in loop for chord progressions and dual speaker for stereo chorus .

tubes use more electric i believe which is alright if u don't pay the bills

and if u really want to improve ur playing , play without an amp at all
for about a year i didn't just say that did i .

then u wont be able to stand the sound of an amp u would have to get use
to it but u would use less effects to keep from messing up ur sound with
a massive amount of effects ull also play at lower volumes

I lold
look into a Peavey Valveking or find the combo version of the Peavey Windsor. I use the VK for practice and sounds fine at lower volumes. the Windsor is a single channel amp but is marshall voiced and has an attenuator so you can crank the amp for the AC/DC tone and not piss people off.
Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Been having a think and I really don't think I need valves. I want to be able to play at really low volumes as I would mostly be playing when the kids are in bed. I have the 6260 to crank when I have the house to myself

So, something small that sounds decent at low volumes.

I saw this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_tableamp.htm

Thought it might be fun.

And the. I saw this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_tableamp_bundle.htm

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350M
Ibanez JS100
Fender Strat

Amp:
Fender Blues Jr
Fender Champion 600
Washburn Southside

Effects:
POD HD300
Marshall Guv'Nor
Big Muff
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer PH9
Cry Baby Wah
Buy a Pod.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jemstar555
Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Been having a think and I really don't think I need valves. I want to be able to play at really low volumes as I would mostly be playing when the kids are in bed. I have the 6260 to crank when I have the house to myself

So, something small that sounds decent at low volumes.

I saw this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_tableamp.htm

Thought it might be fun.

And the. I saw this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_tableamp_bundle.htm

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

The only Harley benton stuff I'd buy is the HB vintage series guitar cabs or the Harley Benton FX pedals. Their quality is not great on the rest of their gear.

+1 to the POD suggestion
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Isn't your VHT only 6 watts or so? What do you out of a low wattage amp that it can't provide?
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
True. You could get 2 nice studio monitors and run the POD300 via 1/4" cables into those. You'd get very good sound @ all volumes. I had that setup for a while.
The VHT is still loud when playing at a decent level for it to start breaking up.

Thanks for the studio monitor suggestion, I might just give that a try

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350M
Ibanez JS100
Fender Strat

Amp:
Fender Blues Jr
Fender Champion 600
Washburn Southside

Effects:
POD HD300
Marshall Guv'Nor
Big Muff
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer PH9
Cry Baby Wah
You can also look at the new Jet City attenuator it is cheap, but I have no Idea how well it works
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jemstar555
The VHT is still loud when playing at a decent level for it to start breaking up.

Thanks for the studio monitor suggestion, I might just give that a try

Oh, my bad. I thought it had a master volume but I was mistaken. The POD is a good suggestion.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"