Hi! i play guitar for about 5/6 years and im confortable with my skills. I can learn songs by ear, but i take a lot of time to do it, and i even get frustrated! Anyone has advice on learning songs by ear? that would be apreciated and could make my life easier
As Macashmack said, you just have to do it alot. And then again, learning new styles by ear is going to take longer aswell. I know back in the day i used to learn metal by ear, so i got very comfortable with that, but then when i moved away from metal music and started pursuing jazz and fusion i had a really hard time for a long time, cause the harmonic language is totally different.

Other than getting used to it, i'd just recommend you to get some software like amazing slow downer. It makes stuff a lot easier.

I also recommend doing a good chunck of different styles, if you like them (of course). I am mainly a jazz player but i don't just sit and learn jazz by ear all day long. I learn funk/blues/classical/folk/bouzouki/Koto/indian/rock etc. My point is, if you enjoy different styles of music, don't limit yourself to learning one or two, learn from all styles. My view is that there is always something you can learn from any music, doesn't matter if it is Miley Cyrus, Charlie Parker or Led Zeppelin. Whatever you don't know would benefit you to know.

Hope that helped in some way.
Best Regards
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
wow thanks! im totally in that point of learning a new style, perhaps that's why its do frustrating, im going to do what you said, and learn different music! Thanks again and be happy with your music

P.S: I think i don't have anything to learn from miley cyrus, except how not to make music xD
Quote by joaoruivo123
wow thanks! im totally in that point of learning a new style, perhaps that's why its do frustrating, im going to do what you said, and learn different music! Thanks again and be happy with your music

P.S: I think i don't have anything to learn from miley cyrus, except how not to make music xD

Truth be told, i have actually gotten paid more for gigs where i have played gospel and pop, and i got those gigs cause the local "singer-songwriter" type guys/girls had seen me perform some other pop gig and asked if i'd play with them for a paycheck.

I think it's a more healthy approach to appreciate everything, even if you prefer other stuff. But as you said, learning what you don't want in your own playing is also totally viable.

Cheers!
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."