I've been working a lot lately on getting more in the pocket. Ive noticed that I usually have solid time when playing with a drummer but less so without. I've been doing some improv with a metronome and have started to notice that I rush a bit and am more in time at some tempos less than others.

Anyone have any tips for exersises or such to help with my timing?
Just keep doing what you're doing- woodshedding is the only way here, in my opinion. Play with a metronome, that inner clock will get sorted if you stick at it. There's a couple of drum machine sites you could play along to, if you find a metronome too monotonous.
What i like to do for groove and timing is to use a metronome but at a slow speed so you have lots of space. When the click finally comes back in, hopefully you will still be on the beat.

For example..

Set your metronome to 40bpm and play a note on the click. Then change to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 notes etc...

Boring as hell but works

Good luck
theres the victor wooten 'extreme time exercise' or something to that effect. involves playing say a 4 bar loop with drums, then removing say the last bar of the drums, but keep the loop 4 bars long so you have just 3 bars with a backing leaving you with a bar to keep playing the loop but you have to be on time when the drums come back in.
as you feel are able to play it with 1 bar of silence, then 2 bars, eventually get down to just one beat of the drums playing while still having to stay in time with the 'drum' backing.
hope that made sense, the video should still be on youtube. found it really helpful for my timing and 'feeling' the pulse without relying completely on the drummer to play it for me.

EDIT: seems the video is gone - or im too stupid to find it - but someone has made a drum track which does what it did in the video
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Dec 30, 2013,
Quote by Applehead
What i like to do for groove and timing is to use a metronome but at a slow speed so you have lots of space. When the click finally comes back in, hopefully you will still be on the beat.

For example..

Set your metronome to 40bpm and play a note on the click. Then change to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 notes etc...

Boring as hell but works
Good luck

This or a drum loop you can do the same thing with. It will also teach you to listen to something external to your own playing, which when you are in a band is a necessary skill to lock into a drummer or other instruments.
Yep, drum loops always better. I use Logic for my loops. In fact, the loop that moody suggests is a great idea. I might create one. If i do I will post it up.