I play guitar around 3 hours a day and some says around 4 hours or more. I usually replace my strings once a month. Should I be replacing my strings sooner?
You make alot of threads dont you? :0

No thats way too soon. like once every 3 months.
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
There's no set amount of hours. There is absolutely no true rule to this and everyone has their own to abide by.

General rule of thumb is to change them when you notice they sound noticeably "duller" than a fresher set.

Musicians who gig very often will change strings before every show because you do a lot more damage to strings in an hour set than you would in your bedroom, and fresh strings will sound great and consistent with every gig.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
As Lavatain said, it has a lot to do with preference. String life also depends on how much you sweat and how harsh your sweat is on the instrument. I prefer to change mine about once a month but sometimes I get lazy and don't pick up new sets of strings. I also try to change mine before doing gigs or recording.
"Nothing of me is original, I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known." -Chuck Palahniuk
I change when they break or sound dull, which due to owning 11 electrics isn't very often. My strings generally lasts a very long time even on the guitars I use a lot.

6 months on the guitars I use all the time and once every 2 years or less on the guitars I rarely use?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by PoopShovel
You make alot of threads dont you? :0

No thats way too soon. like once every 3 months.

What? I change mine every 4-6 weeks. You don't know how much he plays, the humidity where he lives or anything. I'm afraid that's poor advice.

TS: Change them when they sound dull, feel shitty or when you think they need changing. Lots of people change strings once a month, others every couple of weeks, others before a show.

Ultimately it's down to preference, which you'll get as you play longer.
My bad man, i didnt mean ti poorly advise. It's just my opinion, im like the guy above you phil. I can go awhile without changing my strings.
Epi LP Std- black
Xv-840
Xv-700
Xv-610
JT-Strat
Ibanez RGR
Vintage-Vs6
Jackson-Js32tq

Vox-vt20
digitech rp55
I've really never seen a point in doing it in set intervals.
I've had a set of string on my guitar for 2 years and they felt the same the entire time.
Just make sure you wash your hands before you play and you'll be good.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
You don't need to change them often unless you're doing performances or recordings. I change mine once every three to four months.
It's a preference. I know people who change them every week or two. I personally like the sound of older strings so sometimes I wait over a year.
I change them when they go black and feel all bleah.

Which is about once every 2 weeks.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Change them when they need it, or when you feel like it. It really doesn't matter. Some people experiment with different strings, and change them several times in quick succession. There are no hard and fast rules.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
If you use Elixir strings, you basically will never have to change them again I've probably had a gallon of sweat on my strings in a one hour period, and they still sound fresh. They are totally worth the money. But you like what you like I guess, so change your strings whenever.
"Go roll around in your sic."- Corey Taylor

Firm hater of the Les Paul. Fan of the Iceman.

You just can't have enough guitars. It is impossible for that to happen.
Like so many other guitar questions there are no right answers. My ball park estimate is once a month if you're just a bedroom player; once every two weeks if you're an occasional gigger; or everyday if you're in a hugely successful band and you can afford to hire a guitar tech that will do it for you.

If you can afford cobalts or elixers and like them they are advertised to last longer.
Quote by Bones2
If you use Elixir strings, you basically will never have to change them again I've probably had a gallon of sweat on my strings in a one hour period, and they still sound fresh. They are totally worth the money. But you like what you like I guess, so change your strings whenever.

I would not recommend Elixir strings unless you have a very specific need for them. They are made of stainless steel, which makes them very hard and because of that they will be harder on your frets and hardware, which are made of much softer metal.

Quote by demonhellcat
Like so many other guitar questions there are no right answers. My ball park estimate is once a month if you're just a bedroom player; once every two weeks if you're an occasional gigger; or everyday if you're in a hugely successful band and you can afford to hire a guitar tech that will do it for you.

If you can afford cobalts or elixers and like them they are advertised to last longer.

If you need to change your strings once a month you have to sweat enormous amounts while playing. Performing and especially recording is an entirely different matter.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Dec 31, 2013,
^plus they sound crap.

Replace strings every 100hrs of playing or so. (so you're pretty close) Wipe them down if they need it, strings you bend a lot, far and often may need changing before the whole set.

If you use a FR, you'll see the angle change as they get older/too stretched, then you know it's time, even if they feel/sound ok. Also before you set up new strings, stretch them by pulling up on the FR a few times
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 31, 2013,
There's no formula. Just whenever you notice they're dull. I've had some and had to replace them in two weeks, and had the same brand and gauge last month and a half..