Last few years life has got in the way of bass for me a bit and the last few months i have been back melting faces and giving myself some insane calluses. I have finished off some personal challenges of mine, and now I am thinking about what i want to achieve next year on the bass guitar.

So, for me, in 2014 i want to achieve the following:

Really nail my double thumb technique
Work a lot more on my tapping
Improvise/Jam a bit more

Songs i want to learn:

YYZ (never got the whole song in one take note for note)
La Villette (very patchy, needs better thumb technique (see above, lol)
Kuru (whole song, one take. currently get halfway and hands feels like it is going to fall off)

Good luck all in your bass pursuits. Remember, slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Happy New Year, look forward to hearing your goals.
I'd like to improve my left hand in piano (Primarly the Bass notes).
And most of all play to the music.
Finishing learning the 2 voice well tempered klavier preludes on bass
Learn 30 rap songs
Be able to play everything I play on tuba on bass, and vice versa
This past year saw putting bass on the back burner far too much and there wasn't enough music in my life. So my goals are

Play more, esp. with the band
Work on my jazz chops, comping and soloing
Become more confident in my playing.
Start up double bass lessons again.
I've been toying with the idea of picking up double bass.. not sure i have the room to be honest. I'd hate to do it half-arsed.

When you say confident, what you mean? Improv?
I just need to play. I've been so busy over the last year with my problems at my old job, the stresses of starting a new job and transferring location a few months into said new job that bass has really taken a back burner.

I was hoping to get a new band sorted, but I was with the potential guys yesterday, and while their heart was in the right place, they just can't play, and without tooting my own French horn, I can't do that process when you're 16 and learning how to play alongside starting a band with mates. So back to square one with that on the first day of the new year. But I also want to do something more jam based and chill. I want to be this generation's Counting Crows, dammit!

Get a keyboard or an Eigenharp.

More effects.

New cabinet. Maybe a standalone power amp.

Get money together for another Warwick.
Quote by Applehead
I've been toying with the idea of picking up double bass.. not sure i have the room to be honest. I'd hate to do it half-arsed.

When you say confident, what you mean? Improv?

I still tend to overthink my bass lines and I'm my own worst critic. I need to play more from my gut and my heart than my head.
Now that the band I was in for a year has ended, I'm trying to start up a couple new projects.
Jamming with more people.
Finishing my p-bass and fixing the jazz bass.
Slowly add some more theory knowledge.
It's gonna be a touch year because I improved so much this past year. Hopefully 2014 is just as productive.
I need to play more. I've been moving around too much and my basses have hardly been out of their cases the last 7 months or so, poor things. I think that pretty much supersedes any other goals I could come up with right now.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Stud_Muffin
Technically still bass, I want to improve my tuba playing a lot. I was performing on guitar for university last year, but transferred and swapped to tuba performance too, so I need that up to a better standard.

Get this beast down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzyRYLh1So4

Home boy plays tuba?

The vaughan williams is good, but the hindemith is a lot more interesting. Unfortunately theres only like 10 tuba concertos. Good luck without an F tuba btw! Have you heard vaughan williams second symphony?
For 2014, I want to break out of the same old rut that I have been in: same scales and modes over and over again. I intend to learn something completely different and make it work in my playing.

I also vow not to drink cheap booze anymore, unless I am too broke to afford the good stuff.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by bassalloverthe
Home boy plays tuba?

The vaughan williams is good, but the hindemith is a lot more interesting. Unfortunately theres only like 10 tuba concertos. Good luck without an F tuba btw! Have you heard vaughan williams second symphony?

I like the Edward Gregson concerto, much more common in the UK. I have my trusty EEb brass band tuba - what I can't play on that isn't worth playing

That said, I'd love a go on a 6/4 CC, like a B&S Neptune, or a 5/4 Kaiser BBb. Shame tuba players in the UK are mostly brass banders like me, and not many orchestral players to borrow horns from.

Stepping up my game from brass bands to serious recitals is going to take a lot of work, but I'm quietly optimistic about it.