Page 1 of 2
Quote by Cavalcade
The Proper Noun and Plurals, imo

I liked the side project, The Adjectives.
I don't know...what separates obsessing from just being a big fan? I guess the closest I've gotten is KISS. Just a fun band overall and they're always doing something new.
Quote by Firehawk2410
I don't know...what separates obsessing from just being a big fan? I guess the closest I've gotten is KISS. Just a band overall and they're always doing the same thing.

yeah i agree to be honest.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by LeadFred
We all had that stage when we obsessed over Metallica...right?

Came here to post this. Happened when I was 11-12.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by LeadFred

No. I always used to wonder why everyone loved Metallica so much. I never understood. They have some killer tracks though, but they're definitely nowhere near as good as people make out.

I did however have a bit of an obsession with Children of Bodom when I was about 15. I only ever listen to them now for nostalgic purposes, really. Haven't liked anything they've done since Blooddrunk (2008), & haven't liked a full album since Hate Crew Deathroll (2003?).
Obsess implies an unhealthy level of adoration, for some reason the only example I can think of "obsessing" is Bieber fans cutting themselves for him.

Although if we are removing the negative aspect of obsession, then definitely Dream Theater for me, as I have everything they have ever released, four of their vinyls and the Majesty logo stuck on my wall.
Last edited by Random3 at Dec 30, 2013,
I'd call obsessing sending letters to the band and asking if they'll write a song about you while you send them pictures of your tattoo of their band portrait.

I'm an incredibly huge fan of Austin Lucas. I've bought all the albums I've seen by him and ordered others. He rarely comes to Canada to play but I saw him in Toronto once and got to meet him and talk to him briefly after the show. Pretty cool, but he's just another person so I wasn't a speechless knob and actually had a real conversation with him.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Quote by _-Joey-_
No. I always used to wonder why everyone loved Metallica so much. I never understood. They have some killer tracks though, but they're definitely nowhere near as good as people make out.

I did however have a bit of an obsession with Children of Bodom when I was about 15. I only ever listen to them now for nostalgic purposes, really. Haven't liked anything they've done since Blooddrunk (2008), & haven't liked a full album since Hate Crew Deathroll (2003?).

Their new album is actually quite good - sounds a lot like Hatebreeder-era stuff.

I used to obsess over Laiho until I realised he's a good half a foot shorter than me
Quote by Thrill-house
What would you considering obsessing over a band?

I guess thinking about them all the time, meeting the band members, aka, Directioner level obsessing. (Doubt we can count 1D a proper band though)
Yuuuuup

See avatar

EDIT: ^^^ I listen to them quite a bit, pretty much daily, and I've met them a couple of times. Have all the CDs they've released, but not all the live DVDs; got an EBMM JP6 (and I bought a 7 string pretty much just to play DT's 7 string stuff)

I've thought about it quite a bit, Dream Theater has helped me become a better guitar player and musician and their music to me fulfills most of my musical desires so yeah, I guess you could say I'm pretty obsessed.
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at Dec 30, 2013,
I'm obsessed about Metallica and have been for the past 8 years.

And i reaaaaly like Ghost nowdays
Quote by Miltam
I guess thinking about them all the time, meeting the band members, aka, Directioner level obsessing. (Doubt we can count 1D a proper band though)

Yeah...although it would be cool to meet some of my favorite bands if the opportunity came to me, I've heard the advice that it's not a good idea to meet your heroes, because they aren't always as they seem to the public eye. I think I'd rather not meet my favorite bands in fear that my perception of them would be ruined. What you don't know can't hurt you in this case, right?
If any, then Tenacious D, I was about 15. I only listened to that one album for over a month, literally over hundred times.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by Firehawk2410
Yeah...although it would be cool to meet some of my favorite bands if the opportunity came to me, I've heard the advice that it's not a good idea to meet your heroes, because they aren't always as they seem to the public eye. I think I'd rather not meet my favorite bands in fear that my perception of them would be ruined. What you don't know can't hurt you in this case, right?

Dude Ikr? Personally, I have no idea what I'd say to any of my favourite musicians cause I wouldn't know what to expect.
Quote by LeadFred

I was more so just obsessed certain albums and songs between the Kill 'Em All - Master Of Puppets era. Some songs off of Justice and the black album but they just started going down hill after justice IMO
Quote by LeadFred

Actually no, I was not. All due to my best friend forcing them down my throat all the time and trying to prove they were the best band EVER FORMED.

Two years later, he completely forgot about them and moved onto other stuff. After that I actually came to appreciate Metallica. I really never warmed up to metal easily though.
Nah never really obsessed over a band. There are band/artists where i've gotten really into them and listened to their whole discography, watched interviews, live performance videos, researched into their past and stuff but I wouldn't linger on them for too long after that.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Metallica, then Megadeth, then Rammstein.

Then all three at the same time, which took it down from "obsession" to "huge fan" (even though sometimes obsession makes a visit).
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Dec 30, 2013,
Quote by LeadFred

I have
I don't think I've ever really obsessed over a band. I have favorite bands and bands I would be more inclined to go to a gig or festival to watch but doesn't everybody? Probably would like to meet people from certain bands if given the opportunity and a few bands I feel I have to own all their CD's whether or not I dislike a few albums...I think owning all of something is more about me being an obsessive collector of things more than a super fan though.

A clear definition of being obsessed over a band needs to be stated because unless we have a few prepubescent teeny bop girls in the pit I doubt non of us are going to be 'obsessed' to the point of a 1D 'fan'.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I go through fazes oh getting REALLY REALLY into a particular band or song, and then like, a month/two later, I still listen to them, but I obsess over a different band. Never neccesarily a new band. I'm obsessing over Siamese Dream era Smashing Pumpkins at the moment...
Caution:
This post contains my opinion and/or inaccurate information

Quote by vayne92
I'm genuinely beginning to think you're the best troll of all time

"Emocore is like, when you cry when you break a guitar string"
- Thurston Moore
When Nightwish's Imaginaerum came out, I listened to that and nothing else every day for 3 months, if that counts. I suppose that's the closest I've been, though I did collect Emppu Vuorinen's gear (Mesa Dual Rectifier, ESP Horizon with the same pickups as him, Washburn CS780, etc), so yeah, I suppose you could count that.
I think the word "obsess" is still a little iffy, but I mean, I think everyone should have an artist they really love and like to follow. I think it's fun to collect albums and merchandise of my favorite band. But would I cry if I met them or got to sit in the front row at a show? Uh...no. I'm just there to have some good fun.
From the ages of 11 to 14 I obsessed over The White Stripes (by which I mean buy an Airline, collect every single song they released and generally talk about them as if they were the only decent band), as evident in my username as I joined when I was 13. I don't really obsess over bands in the same ways now but over the past few years I've gotten majorly into Electric Six and Silversun Pickups.

Still a massive fan of The White Stripes though, I probably wouldn't have become a musician if it wasn't for listening to them, so there are positives to obsessing...
Last edited by WhiteStripesIII at Dec 30, 2013,
Page 1 of 2