Hello, again. It's been awhile.

Anyhow, I have some cash, and I'm looking to add another guitar the family. I'm a big Built to Spill fan, and have always thought that Jim Roth's black Tele Deluxe with Trem is muy sexy. Picture here. Anyhow, I was looking for one on eBay, and they go for ~$850 normally. Being thrifty, I wondered if there were necks and bodies available that people parted out. There were. But the problem is that the Fat Strat headstock Deluxe neck is a four-bolter, and the loaded body is a three-bolter. Can I convert the body to the neck in a fashion that won't screw over the micro-tilt? Or should I just go for my 2nd string fallback, the sunburst Classic Player Jazzmaster? The upside to that option is knowing that I like the sound and feel of the Jazzmaster, whereas the Tele could be totally awful. I think that the Jazzmaster is a better choice, considering it also comes with a gig bag.
That seems pretty easy to deal with. Just bore a shallow hole with a forstner bit and put in a couple of metal discs for the micro-tilt screw to act against. Here is the neck of my Peavey to show what I mean.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ptw01d.jpg

There are two discs that are about 1.5mm thick and about 2cm in diameter. I don't know what the mesh is for. I suppose that 30 years ago it was taut enough to hold the discs in the hole to make installing the neck a bit easier.
Quote by Invader Jim
That seems pretty easy to deal with. Just bore a shallow hole with a forstner bit and put in a couple of metal discs for the micro-tilt screw to act against. Here is the neck of my Peavey to show what I mean.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ptw01d.jpg

There are two discs that are about 1.5mm thick and about 2cm in diameter. I don't know what the mesh is for. I suppose that 30 years ago it was taut enough to hold the discs in the hole to make installing the neck a bit easier.

Yeah I figured it would end up being another Forstner job. What sort of metal disc would be appropriate?

I'm not entirely sold on getting yet another project guitar though... But it would be cool.
You'll want something hard because there will be a LOT of pressure on them. You can tell that from my pic. Steel would be fine. Not that it really matters, but the discs in my Peavey look galvanized for corrosion resistance.

I don't think it would be hard to do. You could probably have it done in a few minutes.