Hello all. I don't know if this is the right sub-forum for questions but it seems as thought it is. I am a beginner on the guitar (started last week, although i've messed around with it before). I have a hal leonard guitar for beginners book that i'm studying out of, and I played drums in the school band in high school (although that was many moons ago) so I have some familiarity with basic music.

Through the book I've learned the individual notes of the first 5 strings and now I got to a part where they're incorporating chords and I'm having an issue of reading the music in the measure's and knowing what I'm supposed to play. I'll try to explain.

I'm stuck on this exercise where it labels the C major chord (then changes to g7 a couple of measures later) above the music (so I guess i'm supposed to play the measure in c chord? I have no idea) then within the actual lines of music it has 4 quarter notes g-g-a-c

---------------

--------------
................... c
----------------
.............. a
-----g-g-------

-----------------

frankly, I don't know what i'm supposed to do. Am I supposed to pick the notes as i'm familiar with them? am I supposed to strum the c chord starting with the note (strum g add9 or w/e). I don't know what i'm supposed to play or how i'm supposed to play it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by littlemango at Dec 30, 2013,
Is it something like this?

If so, you're meant to play the notes within the notation/tab and the chords marked at the top are the chord progression of the song, you don't have to play both at the same time.

Edit: Also, the slash marks below the chords show the rhythm said chords are meant to be played if I'm not mistaken. And last but not least, a chord usually lasts until the next chord, e.g even if the chord is written above only one measure you keep playing it until another chord appears.
Last edited by Lersch at Dec 31, 2013,