Hey!
I started a thread asking about my ds-1, how I thought it sounded too compressed etc. (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32229336#post32229336)
Anyway, I looked into some mods for the DS-1 and found a mod called "Keeley mod".
From what I heard on youtube, this mod gave the pedal a fatter, more beefy sound.

Does anyone here have this mod? Do you like it?
I play a Tele Deluxe 72 into a JCM 800 2204, so it's a good amp
Last edited by juliusxxrock at Jan 3, 2014,
I've played one. thought it sounded basically the same as a regular DS-1. Maybe a bit less harsh.

Why not try like, a Fulltone OCD or the countless other OD/Dist pedals more worth your time?
Get a tube screamer type pedal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i did the keeley mod on mine.. it got better, but not a 250$ pedal

question is.. do you really need a distortion pedal? an overdrive might be enough and it would not kill all your dynamics, if that's your concern
Quote by juliusxxrock
Isn't that a boost/OD pedal?

Yeah use it as a clean boost. Volume max, Gain 0, Tone to taste. This will boost the gain on the JCM800 and they sound really good like that. If you need more gain than that, you have the wrong amp for the job.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah use it as a clean boost. Volume max, Gain 0, Tone to taste. This will boost the gain on the JCM800 and they sound really good like that. If you need more gain than that, you have the wrong amp for the job.

Judging from all the reviews I've read, there's probably enough dist in it for me
I'll check it out this week. Thanks!
Why do you want a DS-1 (regardless of modifications or not) when you have a JCM800 2204? I'm just curious. Do you just want a different voicing? Those amps have a very nice sounding distortion that's good for all kinds of rock, punk, or perhaps blues?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
Why do you want a DS-1 (regardless of modifications or not) when you have a JCM800 2204? I'm just curious. Do you just want a different voicing? Those amps have a very nice sounding distortion that's good for all kinds of rock, punk, or perhaps blues?

I can't play too loud. I used to have the pre amp maxed out and master low, but I discovered when I was in a studio a couple of weeks ago that it sounded like shit. I was told to turn down the pre amp and turn up the master and boost the distortion with a pedal.
I hope you understood my diffuse explaination
It's not necessarily needed to boost it with a pedal, unless you just need the extra gain. Also, it's not necessarily bad to have the preamp up a bit, as long as you can get decent volume. If you actually were going to boost the amp, a Keeley modded DS-1 wouldn't be the exact go to. An overdrive with minimal gain is what you are looking for. Zakk Wylde boosts a JCM800 that isn't exactly gainy without the boost. He even said it just sounds like classic rock without the boost, and his overdrive pedal isn't very saturated by itself.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Guys, I'm very limited with how loud I can play. We rehearse in a garage in the middle of a neighbourhood, so I can't play too loud. I need distortion, not to boost my amp. I need nice distortion for punk rock at a low volume.
I turned down the tone knob and turned up my dist knob on my ds-1 today, and it sounded better, but not ultimate.

If I play with the pre amp on full, it sounds awful. It would be awesome if I have a clean-ish (dirty-clean) tone when the pedal is turned off.
I hope this explained a bit
The boost isn't giving you more volume. It's adding more gain to the front end, making it more distorted. I can see wanting a cleaner sound with the pedal disengaged though. Try a Fulltone OCD or a Proco Rat. The Keeley mod DS-1 doesn't make an earth shattering difference from stock.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
The boost isn't giving you more volume. It's adding more gain to the front end, making it more distorted. I can see wanting a cleaner sound with the pedal disengaged though. Try a Fulltone OCD or a Proco Rat. The Keeley mod DS-1 doesn't make an earth shattering difference from stock.

I see. The OCD got me interested, but I'll check out both.
How about the TS-9? Is it something? I'm going into town to check out what the music store has, and the TS-9 is on my To-Try list.
Quote by juliusxxrock
In Sweden you can get the ocd for the same price as the ts9

Ah, wasn't aware of your locale.

Basically means the TS-9 is overpriced in that case :-P
Quote by juliusxxrock
I have no idea what that is xD

It's an EQ pedal, a device which can be very useful for shaping your sound.