I made a thread a little while ago regarding a potential pickup swap (gibson 57's into a semi hollow or LP). I actually think I have a good deal on a used Agile 3100 and may put those pickups in it. That's not my question though

Everywhere I am reading, everyone says to change the pots/caps/electronics. This is probably a dumb question, but how come this change of electronics is made with the new pickups? I've been playing for a long time - maybe 10 years, the first 4 with awful gear - but with a 3-4 year stretch of not playing much and I'm just getting into a place where I'm really into it again and have the money to get good gear so have a lot of questions. I don't even know what a pot is
Just a guess, but maybe the electronics in the Agile are of poor quality.
A pot is what you use to control your volume and tone. Short for Potentiometer.
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Pots/
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 30, 2013,
That is what I considered as well, however I see posts in lots of forums saying this not just for Agile's, but almost any "budget" guitar. I've mostly been comparing high end Epiphone's (standard, Les Paul Tribute etc) with Agiles and low end Gibsons for an LP, and a multitude of 335 style guitars, from epiphone, hagstrom, heritage, ibanez, you name it and pretty much for anything except Gibson, I hear the answer that if making a pickup upgrade you need to do the electronics as well.
Well, you don't really NEED to upgrade the electronics, but its generally not a bad idea for lower end guitars.
For instance, Most but the high end Epiphones have long been known to have a failure prone pickup selector switch.
A full electronics upgrade, in most cases, parts costs would be less than $20 - $25US anyway.
(Not including pickups).
Not a bad investment IMO.
one aspect as well if you are not overly handy with a soldering iron you get fresh lugs on the pots. it isn't always fun as they can be a mess trying to get all the solder out of the old ones. wiring as well.

have fun. experiment with tone caps as well if you want to.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Generally, upgrading selector switches and jacks are a good idea on lower end guitars since those are usually cheap and break easily and may or may not work right.

Pots... That's up to you. As long as you are using Alpha or CTS pots you are okay - its the no-name versions you want to avoid. The only time I would suggest changing pots is if the ones you have aren't working right, or if it is just easier to rewire the guitar with new pots rather than de-soldering/re-soldering connections over and over again with the old ones.

All in all its not really something worry about unless you are having problems with the electronics you already have. Like said above the only exception to that rule would be if it just ends up being easier to just use all new parts rather than having to rewire the old ones..

If you just have scratchy pots/switches/jacks, just hit those with a squirt or two of electronic contact cleaner and then just work all of the crap out until they are clean.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.