Hello people,

I bought an amp from the US the other day with a step down transformer so that it could work in AUS.

The amp was working fine for a week but then just stopped turning on. The transformer turns on but not the actual amp. There's a small chance that a friend tried using my amp without switching on the transformer first, but I can't be sure.

There's no sign of any damage. Is this most likely a blown fuse? Is it cheap/easy to fix?

Thanks for any advice; I don't know much about amps.

Alexi
Check the main fuse....
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Here is a photo of the fuse by the power switch. Doesn't appear to be damaged...

Thanks
What amp is this? Is there a fuse in the transformer? Your main power doesn't light up on the amp right?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
use a meter on a fuse. i have seen dead looking fuses that didn't blow (replace anyways) and vice versa.

also i just said this the other, day, there is typically a fuse on the inside of the amp that is called a HT fuse may blow. check it then replace.

also for future notice, make sure you are using the wrong fuse, regular fuses and slo-blows. so if you replace a fuse make sure you know what you are getting.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's a Fender Vibro Champ XD. You're right it's the light on the amp that won't go on. The light on the transformer will go on.

Here's a photo of the fuse in the transformer:

Is it safe to say this fuse is blown? What would cause this? It the damage limited to just this fuse? Do I simply replace it with a new fuse? How do I prevent further damage?

Thanks
safe that it blew. the good thing, the fuse did its job and saved your ass. i have an amp that i have been working every once (in amp i am from the us so we are 120hz) in a while AND if the fuse would have been proper, it would have taken two minutes and a $.10 fix.

personally i would throw a new fuse in but if that one gets blown or something isn't right, try to get a new transformer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Great to hear there's no serious damage. I know these amps are cheap in the states, but they cost serious penny to get them imported into Aus. Would have been devastating if the actual amp was dead.

I'll replace the transformer fuse and hopefully that'll be the end of it. What causes transformer fuses to blow?

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Alexi
Quote by aghleksi
Great to hear there's no serious damage. I know these amps are cheap in the states, but they cost serious penny to get them imported into Aus. Would have been devastating if the actual amp was dead.

I'll replace the transformer fuse and hopefully that'll be the end of it. What causes transformer fuses to blow?

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Alexi

Most fuses blow due to a voltage surge or simple over voltage.
It may be worth it to buy a decent surge protector.
It may not fix things if there is another problem, but I don't plug my amp into ANY outlet without a good surge protector.

Power in your area could be "dirty".
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 31, 2013,
Glad it's something visible... That thing got smoked.

Codemonk and trashed are pretty spot on.

What amperage is your tranny rated?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Dec 31, 2013,