Hi All, still learning the guitar and am looking for a quality tube comb amp for under £1000 and then to buy effects on top up to £400.

ME: AM in a covers band as singer who wants to dabble every now and again on guitar. We play Beatles through to Muse, Stones through to phonics etc. However I love rock and metal, Alice in Chains, Karnivool, Tool, Slayer etc so want a versatile amp so I can record my own music at home.

I have a Tremonti SE, Ibanez RG, Gordon Smith Custom. Line six POD XT pro for recording and a Line 6 Spider for rehearsal (which just doesn't cut through and the sounds are very harsh)

Question 1:

Which is the best amp. I like the ENGL, Orange, VOX and Blackstar, tried a Marshall but wasn't that keen.

Question 2:
Do I go for multi Effects board Pod HDx or buy individual Boss and Electroharmonix pedals knowing that you cannot fully bypass the POD board.??

Thanks
Firstly, if you are the singer who plays guitar occassionally, it may be a better investment to put that cash into a PA.

Secondly, it's all about personal preference. Try out everything and see what you like.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Take a look at a line6 dt25 amp in connection to a pod hd500. It's a real tube power amp with a digital modelling pre amp. It's way way better than the spider. Combined with a pod hd500, you get a very flexible setup.. with one stomp on the pedalboard you can change whole chains of fx and amp parameters. This is ideal for coverband use. It's a bit complicated sometimes, but really good bang for the buck and should have you covered for a wide range of styles. I love mine and strongly recommend it.
Last edited by innovine at Dec 31, 2013,
Hi Alan, we have a great PA etc, all the gear we need. It's just for me really to satisfy my own urges.
Quote by messred
Hi Alan, we have a great PA etc, all the gear we need. It's just for me really to satisfy my own urges.

No worries. If it were me I'd drop all the POD stuff because I am not the biggest fan of how they sound.
Soundcloud
Quote by innovine
For the mentioned budget and objectives, there is no alternative.

Lol there's a crapload of alternatives for the budget. If you like the sound of the Line6 multi-effects pedal and amp that's awesome but the floor PODs are not for me.
Soundcloud
Why not post some alternatives then? Thats the point of the thread. You've just suggested a PA and bashed on the only suggestion so far. Be useful instead.
^^^ No need to take offence mate. TS has basically said he likes amps with british tube distortion. Try out all amps of this type until you find one you like.

As for effects it's basically the same. You can pay for a multi effects pedal but realistically you'll keep on opting for the same effects every time, which will always be done better by a dedicated effects pedal. In any case TS already has a POD, no need for another multi effects pedal.

If you still think this is a cop out answer, I like Fulltone effects pedals. Buy any of their stuff and it will destroy the equivalent effect on a multi effects pedal (with the possible exception of an AxeFX rig).
Soundcloud
you are not going to get many pedals for the mentioned budget. perhaps two good dists, a good chorus/flanger for alice in chains, a delay, budget exhausted and although each pedal probably sounds better than a pod fx, it'll be tough to stretch to all the mentioned references. Hence the pod suggestion. The boss multifx probably sound better, the pod is best for its amp sims, but in connection with the dt the preset management is superb, especially for a cover band. Switching from slayer to alice in chains is going to take a bit of tap dancing otherwise. Tone and sound quality isn't everything. My 2c at least.

TS also mentioned an amp, not an axefx rig, even if the budget would cover it (a new axe fx ii costs 2350 euro)
Last edited by innovine at Jan 1, 2014,
Quote by innovine
Tone and sound quality isn't everything.

Well I guess that's where we differ. I'd much rather pay for something that I don't have to upgrade later.

It's pretty obvious that you use some sort of multi effects pedal and love it dearly. That's awesome but as I said above, they're not for me.
Soundcloud
Matamp are worth a visit and consideration, you can have your own specs introduced when you order.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn