Hey UG Members, My name is Daryl and I'm extremely new to these forums. I made this thread as I'm really looking into buying my first guitar and would like some advice and guidance so that I can benefit from my purchase as best as possible and find a guitar that is suitable for what I would like to achieve.

I would love to play Rock/Metal and my influences vary hugely from bands such Trivium, Lamb of God, Mudvayne, Raunchy, Rammstein, Killswitch Engage, Chimaira and many many more, eventually I would like to play a range of different styles but finding a good starting guitar is my priority! My budget is not so high as I'm short on cash but would be willing to range from around £300-£400 to start off with, hope this gives you an insight so that you kind people could help me out!

Thanks!

/e I should of said Electric Guitar, not to get confused with Bass, my bad!
Last edited by Hyphy87 at Dec 31, 2013,
Are you experienced with guitars, do you have an acoustic? More information. If you're looking for a starter guitar, probably a Fender Squier or a Les Paul Player pack. Those are around 150
Nah I'm not experienced at all, I played Electric back when I was in High School, not much but that was 10 years ago, I do not have an accoustic but my dad does, nothing special. I've been looking at brands such as ESP, Jackson, Ibanez, something along those lines are appealing to me but I'm unsure as to what I really should be looking for or what is a really good quality beginner guitar that can last me sometime where I can get some good use out of it and have some good quality sound also, (and looks nice) :p
Thanks!
How well did you play 10 years ago, and more importantly, how much do you remember?

I just playing myself (about ten days ago), but I had no experience, playing. I went with a starter set (Epiphone Performance Pack) since I had no gear at all. I was a bit superficial in I wanted a Les Paul style and something that was more solid colored, but was perferrably not black (it end up being black). I wanted at least two pickups. I went electric so I could just use headphones and no disturb the rest of house. Also, I did not want to spend a lot of money for something I did not know if I would enjoy or stick with. I think the later may be an important consideration. So, maybe your father has a guitar he'll let you borrow for a few months or will to part with till figure out if it's something you'll stick with.

The other suggestion I will give, take the guitar to a guitar tech or someone who knows how, to set it up properly, especially if you get a new one. I took mine to a luthier who's been building guitars for forty years. I don't have a ear for tone, but he showed how to set it up, and did it for me. It plays significantly easier. Although, he did say the fret board need to be repressed; not all the frets are at correct heights.

If you do want to go electric, the start packs may be a good option for you. The nice thing about these, it'll give you bunch of equipment you'll need. Not all of it will be that great. Then you may want to pick up a few things that may not be included like a stand or capo

Otherwise, you could piece it together. Find something like a Epiphone Les Paul Special II LTD (runs around $130). I would get one of those portable amps like Roland Cube Mini, Fender Mustang Mini, etc. They're small and seem to review well for practice amps, and most seem to range around $50-$100US. Then get Snark Tuner such as the SN8; from what I read, they're the standard and can be had for around $10-$15. From there, I would suggest a guitar stand and some kind of guitar case or gig bag. Don't forget to pick up some guitar picks too; you may be able to get some free. If you have some extra money, get a capo too; it can be used for playing, but also used for setting up the guitar. They around $7-10US. All the prices are more online.

Something you may want to consider for the learning process, although how effective it ultimately is has debate, is Rocksmith. It doesn't replace what a teacher does, but it shows quite a bit. The nice thing about it, it breaks up some of the monotony of learning with it's Guitarcade activities. Does have the session mode to play around. The learn a song is fun because it lets you "play" real songs. Although it may not be full song, it'll give you a sense that you're playing and progressing in you learning, which may keep you motivated, which is important as a teacher recently told me the key to learning: practice, persistence, and patience. I would use other sources in conjunction as well such as a book or lessons from a person.
let me give you some advice i wish i had when i started.

don't buy your first guitar online, go to a shop. Find one that literally FEELS right.

when I had my first guitar, i didn't progress and i hardly wanted to play. On a whim, i decided to buy a new one....what a difference.

you're not going to want to play if your starter is absolutely atrocious. Go to a store and bond with one.
ayy lmao
I suggest looking for an 80's model Charvel by Jackson with a Khaler tremelo. the model 5, 5a and model six were the same neck through body as the Jackson soloists. They were made in China but they are high quality and used run about $500.00 usd. May want to put hotter pups in it unless its a 6. guitars warp with age...these have jumbo ss frets and after a "crown and polish" and intonation becomes a studio quality shred machine!
If I were you, my first guitar would be simple, definitely NOT a tremelo on it! Like the above suggestion, support your local music store and go hands-on to get one. don't blow your money on an expensive one, there is A LOT of stuff for under $500. consider, too the cost of an amp.
Quote by chookiecookie
let me give you some advice i wish i had when i started.

don't buy your first guitar online, go to a shop. Find one that literally FEELS right.

when I had my first guitar, i didn't progress and i hardly wanted to play. On a whim, i decided to buy a new one....what a difference.

you're not going to want to play if your starter is absolutely atrocious. Go to a store and bond with one.

VERY sound advice.
its how ive gotten every single guitar i ever had.
my fav has to be my modifed maverick xtereme. only something like 200 of them were made

though tbh, my starter was this knackerd up looking acoustic.
Made a decent enough sound though, which was the main thing.
If id bought it online, id never have held it, grasped the fretboard..
'Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful'
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Last edited by bigfootedfred at Jan 21, 2014,
There are many guitars you could pick from. Jackson JS11 is $129. I just bought one myself. But kind of like others have said. Make sure it is set up properly. I have played some expensive guitars that were set up horrible. If you gat a cheaper one set up nice, it will play so much better
I found the dean vendetta to be a solid beginner guitar. Good tones and feel. I dont play them, but have used a few that i had setup for my buddy. He loves them. I also recommend a guitar witbout a tremolo starting out. Jackson guitars in my opinion have too short a scale to have amazing cleans. They are good for heavy riffing tho. Try some stuff out man! Music stores are supposed to be noisg and annoying to those who work there. He who can not play, works at guitarcenter. Annoy them. Plug it in and turn it up. Make them hate you! Then repeat every day till you find what you are looking for! Lol