Ive been playing for quite a few years now and one thing im sure of is that transcribing is the holy grail of all music techniques. Ive been working on it quite a lot but i want your opinon to know if im on the right track.

When i hear a song a light bulb just goes in my head and i visualise which FRETS (not notes) are being played. after a couple of tries i usually transcribe a melody. Is this the correct approach or should i also be able to tell the key of the song by listening to it? because i cant even tell if its a major key or a minor one at the moment :/
Trascribing is defiently the way to go, you learn new material, develop your technique and develop your ear at the same time.

As for the second bit, it will develop with time and patience. What you preferably want to do is learn something by ear and then afterwards analyze what it is. Like what kind of chord-progression is being played, what key etc. Doing it this way will always put the sound as first priority, as it should be, and then an explanation of the sound afterwards.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
What you preferably want to do is learn something by ear and then afterwards analyze what it is. Like what kind of chord-progression is being played, what key etc. Doing it this way will always put the sound as first priority, as it should be, and then an explanation of the sound afterwards.

Definitely right. You're on the right track with wanting to transcribe. The next step is also knowing the chords to the tune you're transcribing. Once you've done that, analyze those chords, and should ultimately give you the key of a tune. Like he said above though, this takes practice (hearing the home chord, or the tonic).