Hi,

Sorry for the newbie question but I am fiddling around with the following open keys at present:

Open G
DADGAD
Open D

Could anyone advise of what keys naturally lend themselves to these respective tunings? I am trying to construct a few noodling things from the bottom up.

Many thanks.
Whatever key you can sing in...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by konfyouzd
Whatever key you can sing in...

Who said anything about singing? As I think is obvious, I was asking what keys these tunings naturally lend themselves for guitar playing.
In general, an open tuning lends itself readily to the key that the open notes are named for. So open D and G would work well with songs in those keys (or their relative minors, Bm and Em). I think I've used DADGAD with songs in D (after fretting over the G string).

It's probably not a lot of work to play in the keys where your open chord is the IV or V chord. So for open D, that would be the keys of G and A. For open G that would be C and D keys. But the least fingering (eg, most natural) would probably be the open name as key.
Quote by timbo63
In general, an open tuning lends itself readily to the key that the open notes are named for. So open D and G would work well with songs in those keys (or their relative minors, Bm and Em). I think I've used DADGAD with songs in D (after fretting over the G string).

It's probably not a lot of work to play in the keys where your open chord is the IV or V chord. So for open D, that would be the keys of G and A. For open G that would be C and D keys. But the least fingering (eg, most natural) would probably be the open name as key.

Thanks dude for the informative and sensible reply.