Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, my guitar neck is greasy.

I don't have any "proper" cleaning stuff you'd get from a guitar store, only some wiper things to wipe windows with (but I've learnt the hard way that that's a no-no).

What can use to de-grease my guitar? Will dishwasher soap and water work and not damage my neck or fret board?
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Dec 31, 2013,
Get some clean rags/wipes and start buffing the neck down. I wouldn't ever put water on a fretboard.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Do not use commercial/household cleaning products on your guitar. They are too harsh and corrosive.

I don't know of anything made specifically for the neck. For the fretboard, I really love the Gibson Luthier cleaners.

For the neck try extremely fine grit sandpaper. I think that's what most people do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I can't recommend this stuff enough. It's cheap and does everything you could ask. Cleans, moisturizes, polishes, etc. Highly regarded amongst those that know what it is and I've used it on countless vintage and modern instruments. Since I discovered it, it's the only product I've put on any guitar. I've had my bottle for about 5 years now and there's still PLENTY left too. One bottle for everything, ever.

Contains:
NO Wax
NO Silicones
NO Abrasives
NO Acids
NO Synthetics

http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/finishes/dr-ducks-ax-wax
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Duck-2080-Wax-Cleaning/dp/B000EEL50Q
http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/Anyone-ever-use-Dr-Duck-s-Axe-Wax/td-p/24097418
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166790

SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 31, 2013,
^ Is that for the fretboard or for the neck?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Both, and then some. It's for everything.
If you need to apply something to your guitar that bottle will do it.

Their website is oldschool, but I found this just now. They're somehow in kahoots with Martin Guitars btw

Dr.Duck is very proud that ...

Martin Guitars, Fender Guitars, Guild Guitars, Gretsch Guitars, Jackson Guitars, Charvel Guitars, Moonstone Guitars, Dan Electro Guitars, Santa Cruz Guitars, James Goodall Guitars, Ribbecke Guitars, James A. Olsen Guitars, Batson Guitars, Tagg Guitars, Rick Turner Guitars, Terry C. McInturff Guitars, Unk Guitars, Citron Guitars & Basses, Asher Guitars, Minarik Guitars, Moser Custom Shop, Bolin Guitars, Phoenix Guitars, Joe Till Guitars, Schoen Musical Instruments, Fernandes Guitars, Lakland Bass, Hill Classical Guitars, Azola Bass, Elrick Bass, WM Bass & Guitar, Charles Cote' Basses, Arpeggio-Korina Guitars, Rigel Mandolins, Froggy Botton Guitars, Cripple Creek Dulcimers, McSpadden Dulcimers, Gila Mountain Dulcimers, Folkcraft Instruments, Walk About Dulcimers, Zion Guitars, Third World Guitars, Haight Guitars,Beard Guitars, Bunker Guitars and, Rarebird Guitars and Basses have all used Dr.Ducks Ax Wax on their instruments before they leave their factories
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 31, 2013,
just to add just in case.
dont use anything on finished maple boards.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I was going to say

What kind of fretboard do you have first of all?

If it is maple, sometimes the best thing is lighter fluid.
If it is rosewood, or otherwise i've seen people use .0000 steel wool.

Def stop what you are doing with those wipes and anything else. Do your fingers get greasy like mine? When was the last time you changed your strings? What amp are you using?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I was going to say

What kind of fretboard do you have first of all?

If it is maple, sometimes the best thing is lighter fluid.
If it is rosewood, or otherwise i've seen people use .0000 steel wool.

Def stop what you are doing with those wipes and anything else. Do your fingers get greasy like mine? When was the last time you changed your strings? What amp are you using?

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by jj1565
just to add just in case.
dont use anything on finished maple boards.
I've never understood that common response. Maple fretboards are finished just like the rest of the neck, and I clean them the same as any other neck/fretboard. What's so special about the finish on the fretboard that the neck doesn't have?

I don't use steel wool on anything though, that just seems silly.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Steel wool near magnets=stupid

That Dr.Ducks stuff is ok , works ok, but it is like putting sex lube on your guitar.....I think it is sex lube......never totally comes off. It does make strings last longer. I wipe them down after every time I play....if I remember. Keeps them from corroding
What the hell!!!
BTW Flux'D , If you were endorsed by Dean for 3 years how come you don't have any?
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Steel wool near magnets=stupid

That Dr.Ducks stuff is ok , works ok, but it is like putting sex lube on your guitar.....I think it is sex lube......never totally comes off.
Sure it does, you're not buffing it enough. It says right on the bottle "if it still feels 'greasy', you aren't done buffing". Doesn't take much effort at all, no more than a polish.
Quote by danvwman
BTW Flux'D , If you were endorsed by Dean for 3 years how come you don't have any?
I got two through Dean and have since traded them off for other things. I still have an older Chicago Dean, but I don't list all my gear in my sig.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Was just wondering, stating that in your sig and not having one listed seems silly. Was not trying to insult

And I am back for a minute or two I was eating and board so I logged on to see what kind of stupid advice was posted.

Dr.Ducks is good, just very messy. I got mine for free when I bought a bunch of stuff .......wont ever use it again. Just too messy

But IMHO steel wool for cleaning the neck/frets is dumb, have you ever got a very small steel sliver in your finger tip? I get that stuff thru work, tis not fun. Not to mention getting stuck on and in the pickups and selector switch.
What the hell!!!
Steel wool also gets stuck in the wood grain of Ebony and Rosewood
What the hell!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Furniture Polish and Window Wipes are silly

Have you ever smelled Gibsons aerosol polish???? Smells like furniture polish to me.

Furniture polish is made for wood, last time I checked most guitars are still made out of wood.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Dr.Ducks is good, just very messy. I got mine for free when I bought a bunch of stuff .......wont ever use it again. Just too messy
Have you actually read the bottle? It clearly says you only need a few drops, how could that be messy? If you're putting a massive amount on the guitar you're gonna be buffing for weeks . It's not like you're shampooing a dog here

SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 1, 2014,
The bottle leaks, it is always greasy it is a good thing I keep it in a storage container. I can see some one putting it in a guitar case and it popping open and getting all over the place.

I have about 15 guitars and set up other peoples and have cleaned up some really dirty ones, I let it sit on the guitar to soak in on crusty stuff. I have no problem with its advertised claims. It is just too darn messy. It is the consistency of sex lube, far too runny.

Browns guitar factory makes a really good orange paste for fretboards and I use car detail spray on the rest of the guitar. I am going back to that.

But furniture polish will work well if you don't have anything else. And most people have that at home. And it is easier to find. Not many people use lighter fluid anymore so it is hard to find.

You can get furniture polish at target and walmart pretty cheap.
What the hell!!!
People-

Do Not Put Furniture Polish On Your Guitars!

It is not good for the finish. It has chemicals in it that are not designed for guitars. Buy Guitar polish like the kind from Dunlop.

Again, the .0000 steel wool I am talking about cannot dammage your fingers or your fretboard. If anyone is interested in how to do this PM me but I'm getting out of this tread and it is really not pertinent to the TS question.
People-

Do Not Put Furniture Polish On Your Guitars!

It is not good for the finish. It has chemicals in it that are not designed for guitars.

Like what?

Furniture polish will get crud off a neck. That pertains directly to the ts question
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jan 1, 2014,
Those green scrubby pads work great as a substiture for rosewood and the like. Of course don't do thatto your nice shiney maple board.

You guys must have really dirty hands or something.

TS, furniture polish sounds like a pretty bad idea.

I used to use Windex brand window cleaner but don,t even do that anymore. It didn't ruin it or anything.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 1, 2014,
Quote by Flux'D
I've never understood that common response. Maple fretboards are finished just like the rest of the neck, and I clean them the same as any other neck/fretboard. What's so special about the finish on the fretboard that the neck doesn't have?

I don't use steel wool on anything though, that just seems silly.

i don't use dr ducks. so maybe that's an exception.
i meant for him not to use typical fretboard cleaner on maple. or to get the idea that it's ok to oil a maple board, because it'll stain the board.

for the record, i'd never use a silicon furniture polish.

and i dont find the need to steel wool rosewood boards.

I just use a dunlop conditioner a couple times a year if that.

danvwman: furniture polish contains silicone.
look up silicone contamination, guitars if you want to learn about it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 1, 2014,
Its pretty rare that you really need to use any of these products in my experience. A cloth will do just fine.
The green scrubbies are a good suggestion.

I have been looking at the ingrediants of pledge and have found nothing alarming. IDK about nitro cellulose finish. But for a neck I see no issue.
What the hell!!!
pledge contains silicone.

i guess if you never intend on bringing the guitar in for repair. then whatever, do whatever you want. hammer nails with it. but guitar polish is to cheap, why would you use the wrong product?

ive had the same guitar kit for so long.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok, so shampoo your guitar that's great.
but maybe you shouldn't be cleaning other people's
guitars with that stuff.

just a thought.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

And he only time silicone is an issue is if you want to finish or refinish wood.. Are you gonna paint a fret board?
What the hell!!!
I use hand lotion on my hands too. And I am betting you do too.
What the hell!!!
And at that rate any oil, be it orange, lemon, mineral is going to soak into the fret board making it almost impossible to paint(if you wanted too) so the silicone argument is not valid anyway.

Unless of course you have a silicon allergy.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
And at that rate any oil, be it orange, lemon, mineral is going to soak into the fret board making it almost impossible to paint(if you wanted too) so the silicone argument is not valid anyway.

Unless of course you have a silicon allergy.

why would you purposely add a chemical known to mess with a guitar's finish work it you didn't have to?

it's going to get on there anyway because i shampoo my hair, i might as well spray copious amounts onto the guitar's surface.
you didn;t know it was even in there, but now you're sure you've only used on the board.

listen, it doesn't make sense. what if you need to repair a headstock and it messes with the glue you're using?
instead of saying, "why can't i?"
you should be thinking, "why would i?"

when guitar cleaners are so cheap and last forever.

again, do what you want i only cared enough to state the facts as i know them, in case a kid was thinking of using it on his guitar.

i dont care if you use it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I like my guitars too much to use something so caustic on them.

This Danvwman is a fryball and a half.

I haven't used my bottle of Dr Stringfellow lemon oil in years, they just don't need it. Wait nevermind I. Did a little over a year ago on a 335 clone that wasn't played for who knows how long.
Yeah, I'm gonna want to use the cheapest crap I can find to clean my $1000+ guitars.

Why not just dip it in acetone to get rid of the dirt and grease.
Then toss a match on it to get rid of the acetone?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Formula-65-Guitar-Tech-Kit-103529517-i1134788.gc
$20 and lasts forever.
I've had that kit for over 5 years and it looks like its barely been used.

Why not buy something meant for the task instead of something made for polishing $10 Walmart chairs?
A belt sander will take the filth off too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification