Hey guys. I'm playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with dragonfire screamers through a peavey vypyr 15. I heard that with modeling amps pickup swaps are virtually nonexistent. Would the jump to actives of some sort change my tone? Or is the modeling myth true? They're good pickups, on par with Duncans, so I'm not sure going to something like a jb would change my tone anyways. But would actives do it??
Just wondering if its worth it.
In your case I'd spend money on a new amp rather than new pickups. I don't think you would notice any difference in tone with a pickup swap.
you can tell a slight difference, but like was said a new amp would serve you much, much better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
When I started playing electric, I bought a Korg Px4 portable digital modeler and 2 guitars: a Dean Special Select EVO and a Dean Time Capsule Cadillac. It was difficult for me to tell the difference in their tone. Ditto the guitars I bought subsequently. I could tell the difference, but it took effort. (Differences between HBs and singlecoils were still obvious, though.)

When I got my first real amp 3 years later- a Fender HRD tube combo amp- the differences between my guitars' tones became glaringly obvious. I could hear that the EVO's pickups were less refined. Noisier. NOT in a good way.

Except in the best of the best equipment, digital modeling tends to make pickups sound "samey."
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
So in my case, actives would do nothing? No extra gain, saturation.. Etc. I love the amp, it's really good considering I spent 50$ on it. Better than my rage 158... I kinda figured I might get that active tone.. That tight bottom, and high treble and such. I guess it was worth a shot to ask though..
Quote by SeamanTickles
So in my case, actives would do nothing? No extra gain, saturation.. Etc. I love the amp, it's really good considering I spent 50$ on it. Better than my rage 158... I kinda figured I might get that active tone.. That tight bottom, and high treble and such. I guess it was worth a shot to ask though..

Not in your amp you will not. Look for a used Peavey Vypyr tube60, Peavey Ultra 1x12 both of these are <$300 used on www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I used to use a Fender Mustang I modelling amp.. pickup changes hardly had any effect at all.
Switched to a Blackstar HT-1 and changes were immediately very noticable.
I use POD for recording which is much better than that amp. all my strats sound pretty much the same through it despite having different pickups. while actives do produce aslightly different tone you wont get any miracles tone wise. better amp is the answer. as mentioned thru my tube amps you can hear clear differences
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jan 1, 2014,