I've only been playing for about a year, and realised I need thicker strings. I'm looking for some that can play in standard all the way down to drop a however. Is this possible? I was looking at Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys 12-56 but read they might ruin my neck in standard. The guitar is a Epiphone SG (pretty sure it's a G-400)
What gauge do you currently use? If you're on 9s, the jump from 9s to 12s will absolutely mutilate your beginner tendons. Of course if you're already on 11s and comfortable, that's fine.

Personally, I use 10s for E Standard to Drop C# (Db) and 11s for C# to Drop B, then 12s for anything lower. If you're constantly in B standard, you may as well get a 7 string guitar or just a 7 string set and dispose of the high E.
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Dec 31, 2013,
12s might be a bit tight for standard tuning, but it shouldn't be harmful. That's about medium gauge for acoustic guitars. you might get damage from tuning from standard to drop A and back all the time, but that would only show effects after a long time.

I would take baby steps until you find what you like, starting with 11s. But really, with changes that drastic you might want to look into another guitar somewhere down the road.
12 - 56 is pretty borderline for standard, I've got one in standard with 12-60's and it's really tight.

for drop A you're looking at 13-68 or something and I doubt you're be able to bring it up to standard without doing damage.

Edit: I'm in drop C/B with 12-65's with good tension on a 24.75" scale. So that's where I get the drop A estimates from.
Last edited by Viscerus at Jan 1, 2014,
11 - 49 should be good for you, 12 gauge strings will make you hurt really, really bad. I use 11-49 gauge strings on my epi LP and have it tuned down to drop B, and it works great, but the 24.75 scale length really screws with tuning stability, so I prefer 25.5 scale lengths for everything I play.
"Go roll around in your sic."- Corey Taylor

Firm hater of the Les Paul. Fan of the Iceman.

You just can't have enough guitars. It is impossible for that to happen.
Quote by Bones2
11 - 49 should be good for you, 12 gauge strings will make you hurt really, really bad. I use 11-49 gauge strings on my epi LP and have it tuned down to drop B, and it works great, but the 24.75 scale length really screws with tuning stability, so I prefer 25.5 scale lengths for everything I play.

What about a 10-60? My dad was saying that would be best but he's into different styles of music. Nice slipknot stuff you've got there too
Well, if you want to play in standard and drop A, get a seven string guitar. That will be easier than changing tunings all the time and having issues with the truss rod and intonation.
11-54 Ernie Ball Beefy's will cover everything. 11-54 is pretty standard for acoustic guitars so they're not going to be too tight for standard, and they aren't quite thin enough to be too loose for Drop A.

Of course it's all subjective and other people will disagree with me as I disagree with them.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Should a 13 year old be using strings that think with his level of experience in standard?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Quote by Lavatain
11-54 Ernie Ball Beefy's will cover everything. 11-54 is pretty standard for acoustic guitars so they're not going to be too tight for standard, and they aren't quite thin enough to be too loose for Drop A.

Of course it's all subjective and other people will disagree with me as I disagree with them.

Thanks, I bought a set of those.
Quote by auzzietaco
I've only been playing for about a year, and realised I need thicker strings. I'm looking for some that can play in standard all the way down to drop a however. Is this possible? I was looking at Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys 12-56 but read they might ruin my neck in standard. The guitar is a Epiphone SG (pretty sure it's a G-400)

Generally speaking, you can't really have a guitar setup for both E-Standard tuning and also Drop-A. Those tunings are MILES apart. Either it will be WAY too tight on the higher tuning or it will be WAY too loose on the lower tuning. It would almost be like playing a different instrument when you went from one tuning to another. (My pet-peeve is going to try different guitars at stores and they are all setup with soggy-spaghetti-like strings -- I can't play without some tension )

If you really need such a wide range of tunings, my recommendation would be to either get a 7-string guitar or get another 6-string and set it up for low tunings.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Generally speaking, you can't really have a guitar setup for both E-Standard tuning and also Drop-A. Those tunings are MILES apart. Either it will be WAY too tight on the higher tuning or it will be WAY too loose on the lower tuning. It would almost be like playing a different instrument when you went from one tuning to another. (My pet-peeve is going to try different guitars at stores and they are all setup with soggy-spaghetti-like strings -- I can't play without some tension )

If you really need such a wide range of tunings, my recommendation would be to either get a 7-string guitar or get another 6-string and set it up for low tunings.

I've been using 10-46 in drop c currently, and it is well, but any lower and its fuzzy (I think because of the looseness) 11-54s are what I bought, and shout get me fairly close I'd wager, without breaking the neck in standard.
To me, the limit for standard C is 12-56, better if 12-60.
12-56s work pretty good on standard too, though they're pretty damn tight.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by auzzietaco
I've been using 10-46 in drop c currently, and it is well, but any lower and its fuzzy (I think because of the looseness) 11-54s are what I bought, and shout get me fairly close I'd wager, without breaking the neck in standard.

Yeah, I don't know how you can even play it in E-Standard with those light strings, let alone Drop-C. I feel like I'm going to rip the strings off the guitar (with my pick attack) when I play guitars setup that way. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Though I'd recommend gauging up just to experience the difference in feel and tone.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Yeah, I don't know how you can even play it in E-Standard with those light strings, let alone Drop-C. I feel like I'm going to rip the strings off the guitar (with my pick attack) when I play guitars setup that way. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Though I'd recommend gauging up just to experience the difference in feel and tone.

I learnt on this setup, and I don't mind it a bit loose. I'm only getting the thicker strings because in lower tunings it sounds awful, like a buzzing sound. Drop C is the lowest it goes where it actually sounds good
Quote by Viscerus
12 - 56 is pretty borderline for standard, I've got one in standard with 12-60's and it's really tight.

for drop A you're looking at 13-68 or something and I doubt you're be able to bring it up to standard without doing damage.

Edit: I'm in drop C/B with 12-65's with good tension on a 24.75" scale. So that's where I get the drop A estimates from.

13's are do-able in standard. I would never do it because it's pretty rough on your fingers and pretty freaking impossible to do any sort of bends without throwing your entire weight into it, but it's do-able.

Source: A friend of mine uses 13's for standard on his Flying V. I was going to use it for a show he and I were playing, but ended up bringing my own because I couldn't do any of the bends for the solo using it. (I use 10's, contemplating stepping up to 11's though next time I restring)
Quote by Lavatain

You were right, I tried the 11-54 Beefy Slinkys and while rough on the hands, are perfect sounding at both tunings