Page 1 of 2
New Mesa Day

So as some of you know I got a used Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Solo 50 Rect-o-verb (say that 3 times fast )

I've been wanting a Mesa Rectifier for quite some time now (any Mesa really) but was not actively looking. I went up to my local Guitar Center a little over a week ago because I had not been there in awhile and I wanted to see what was new. I headed to the loud room and saw a H&K Tubemeister 36 and a Yamaha THB10 (I liked both for what they were BTW). There in the corner was this Mesa Single Rec so I asked about it. More of the back story and gut shots later.

-Basically it sounded like crap when I first plugged in and figured, 'Oh, no wonder it is so cheap' at $599. It sounded like a bad preamp tube so we swapped some tubes around and did the pencil test to no avail. Then we tried some different guitars and cables and it made no difference. I was somewhat devastated as I was getting my hopes up after I first saw it. He took it into the back to get it looked at and I went home. He took my contact info and told me he would get back to me. Several days pass and I called up there to track down the situation. He said due to the Holiday, no one has had a chance to look at it and they will probably just send it out to get to get it fixed. My fear here was that it would come back at a higher price. I asked him if I could pay $500 for it and then have GC give me a 3 day return. I was thinking that if I couldn't fix it myself in 3 days then I don't want it anyway and then GC can send it out. Problem is they wouldn't give me 3 days. I either buy it 'As Is' or I let them send it out. I was torn

So, I asked them to sell it to me for $500 and then also sell me GC Pro Coverage warranty which was 10% ($50). But the 10% is off the original price so they reduced the amp to $490 to make up for that. I know GC gets a lot of crap and I rag on them too from time to time but some of the guys at my GC are really good to work with and genuinely want people to have a good experience. If I remove the Reverb RCA jacks or turn the Reverb to '0' there is no issue, so my next step on that is to get a new Accutronics reverb pan in there.

Also, the amp didn't have a footswitch, which was a major bummer and my guy found me a Mesa F30 footswitch in the back, which he said would work - and it does I got it home and gave it a good cleaning both inside and out. I cleaned all the jacks and tube sockets with Dioxit and hit it some all purpose Armour All. I couldn't be happier with how things have turned out.

Price paid: $490

REVIEW

Overall, I am very impressed. To be honest, I was a little uncertain at first due comments I've heard about a loose low end and not having a lot of articulation. Once I got it dialed in at home most of those concerns have faded - although it is a bit boomy. My clip will give you a sense of this. Some parts are very articulate and some are boomy.

I know this amp has been out a while but here is the run-down. It is a 2 channel amp with a dedicated clean and dirty channel. Within each channel are modes which are accessed via dip switches as shown below. On the Clean channel there is Clean/Pushed. On the Dirty channel there is Raw/Vintage/Modern. Some research tells me that this amp was made in 2000 and is a 'Series II' amp in that it has three modes for the dirty channel instead of just two.

As you can imagine, the Build Quality is on par with the Mesa heritage of making sturdy well built amps. The wiring is real clean and there are no loose parts or anything that looks shaky. You can tell the amp was not slopped together. I feel like I could drop it from shoulder height onto concrete and it would still work. The pots all have a nice even control (resistance) to them and have a quality feel. The jacks are all very solid as well. I will post some gut shots later. My only complaint is that the tubes are PCB mounted but the PCB is reinforced under the sockets so I never got a bad feeling even when pushing down real hard on the tubes. Mine came with a pair Fender branded Groove Tube 6L6Bs and mostly JJ preamp tubes minus one Mesa branded Russian 12AX7-A phase inverter. I tried a few other preamp tubes including a JAN 5751 and some Groove Tube 12AX7s and it seems to sound best just the way I received it. My next test is to put my JJ 6L6s in there to see if I can hear a difference.

The Transformers have a fair amount of rust or something on them but I guess that can be expected considering the amp is 13 years old. There were a few scratches on the tolex but luckily they are on the underside of the headshell. The hand strap is ripped a bit in one place as if it has been lifted up and down a lot. Luckily I won't be moving it around too much. The chassis itself and faceplate are all in great shape which was somewhat surprising. So Cosmetically I give it an 8/10.

Tone wise, this is pretty much what I've been looking for. It is kind of everything the Splawn is lacking. The Splawn is super articulate and well built for sure but is also fairly dry and mid heavy. The Single Rec is more saturated and modern - which is pretty much what I was looking for. I can get those things out of my Peavey Vypyr tube 60 as well and the Recto and Diezel channels on that amp are pretty good imo, but nothing beats the real deal. Also, the cleans on the Mesa are really really nice to my ears. They have chime, pop and bloom which the Splawn clean channel lacks. So the Mesa has a 'decent' mid gain tone but not as smooth as the Splawn. To get what I want out of the Splawn I have to use an OD pedal up front and an EQ pedal in the loop. What I like about the Mesa the most is the unadulterated grind. As Munky from Korn calls it - 'The Tractor'. This amp has the Tractor

Edit: Oh yeah. There is very little head room on the clean channel with this amp. The Splawn has more head room on its clean channel. The Single Rec is more about the edge of break up and to hell and back.

CLIP

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play1238297
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play1238375 Edit: Chugga clip

My plan was to do a really short clip demonstrating each channel and mode. Because I ended up going on a last minute ski trip I didn't really get to do a proper walk through. What I do have are random clips that I generated after I got it cleaned up and such. This was the day after Christmas. It is under 4 minutes so it is not too long but if you want to hear the Tractor and chugga chugga you will need to wait until the end.

It was through my Splawn 212 cab which is loaded with Splawn Small Blocks (similar to Celestion G12M Greenbacks) and my cheap Schecter guitar. All of it is in Drop C.

I believe the clip touches on all of these:

Clean channel (both Clean and Pushed) and Dirty (Raw, Vintage, and Modern).
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 2, 2014,
Great score! I have a series 1, and it's excellent. I love how it's really gainy, but still open sounding if it makes sense, I thought it was going to be really compressed, but it's definitely dynamic!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Nice 311!

Awesome your GC worked with you.

Have you pulled the reverb tank out and looked inside? I had one that just needed to be banged on- it was stuck and caused the reverb to act like a tone knob.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Hnad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Super bitchin. Weird issue on the tank! If it does that even when the verb is turned off on the amp, I'd be more wary about it beibg a circuit problem, if it only does it when plugged in
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks guys

Derek and team - yeah, the reverb is a bit perplexing. But when the reverb is Off there is no issue whatsoever, which lends more to a tank problem. I'm OK even if I can't fix it because I won't be using reverb with this amp. This is my chugga amp. I do love reverb for blues and rock and other stuff though. The tank is super easy to swap. Circuit? Not so much.
From right to left there is the:

Insert jack
Mode switches
(per channel)
Gain
Treble
Middle
Bass
Presence
Reverb
Master Volume
Output
Solo

'Output' is like a Master Master volume over the whole amp. Very nice to have. To do that with the Splawn I have to have a volume pot in the Effects Loop. Solo is a solo boost that I have not messed with yet. I have not tried any pedals with the amp at all, nor have I tried EL34 tubes, which I also need to do. That is easily done with the bias switch on the back. Actually, I really need to try that. Also, the Effects Loop is in parallel.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 1, 2014,
Damn those power transformer molex connectors, I hate those things. My Mesa nomad burnt up the heater leads on the molex connector and shut off.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
HNAD! I've already started to save for a Mesa as well. I figure that should round out my gear rather well, not to mention been GASing for one for a while as well. Good to hear your GC worked with you a little.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
sweet deal nice steal!!!! my mesa GAS is growing even more now.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Nice amp. I like the single rectos, but so many bash them. I would have scooped it up for $500
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
HNAD! That was a sweet deal. Crushing Rectumfrier is exactly the sound im after buuut the cheapest i've seen has been 2000€... used... *edit* actually there is one now on sale for 1600. Amazing deal...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 1, 2014,
^^^

thanks guys

yeah, I doubt I would have spent $800 on one but $490 was hard to pass up

tried it again tonight with the reverb on '0' and there are no issues. I'll try replacing the tank.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 2, 2014,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^^^

thanks guys

yeah, I doubt I would have spend $800 on one but $490 was hard to pass up

tried it again tonight with the reverb on '0' and there are no issues. I'll try replacing the tank.

Have you pulled the tank out and looked at it? It's not tightened too much either?

If you pull it out you can look at the springs and internal mounting. Make sure everything is free to move and then reinstall it without over tightening it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
nice 311!! What happened to youw Splawn?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by R45VT
Have you pulled the tank out and looked at it? It's not tightened too much either?

If you pull it out you can look at the springs and internal mounting. Make sure everything is free to move and then reinstall it without over tightening it.

No, I have not had time but will at some point. The chassis is a bit of bitch to get out of the headshell.

Quote by Tunder250
nice 311!! What happened to youw Splawn?

I still have the Splawn. See family pic on post 16
Nice score! Definitely my fav of the recto family, almost picked one up myself last week, but got some bad news on the bass that I was gonna sell to fund it. Not to worry, GAS was in effect and Ill still have a NAD in about a week (you'll be proud Rob)

Enjoy it dude, HNAD!
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
Nice score! Definitely my fav of the recto family, almost picked one up myself last week, but got some bad news on the bass that I was gonna sell to fund it. Not to worry, GAS was in effect and Ill still have a NAD in about a week (you'll be proud Rob)

Enjoy it dude, HNAD!

Hmm. A Krank?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
run a DVOM through the reverb pan's rca jacks to see if there is continuity, at least you can figure out if the tank is good or bad.

HNAD. nice amp. well deserved.

so are you a splawn wh*re? or a mesa wh*re now?

i have two of each. i couldn't get rid of any of them.

also i am reallly surprised hearing you had to boost the splawns. i boosted each once and i (IMO) found it unnecessary with my rig. but i do turn it up a bit to get it open.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have one of these how did you get the board out a couple of screws? How do you go about removing all the things and cleaning it? I have no experience in doing this. I want to do this is because there is a lot of dust from some contractors removing the cover during a remodeling project. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
^ Hey

Here is a picture of the screws you need to undo. There are two on each side. Unplug the amp and set the amp face down on a flat sturdy surface, or carpeted floor. Take out the power tubes. Take those 4 screws out. Grab the amp by the transformers pull strait out and up. It will require a bit of jiggling but generally you need to keep the amp strait so it will slide out evenly on both sides.

Do Not Touch anything on the inside of the chassis. Your best bet is to set it down on some wooden blocks while you clean the outside of the chassis. I wouldn't clean anything on the inside. It is too dangerous. Capacitors (those blue tube looking things) can hold lethal voltages some time after the amp has been turned off.

Putting it back in can be a bit tricky because the screw holes need to line up so make sure you have plenty of light so you can see.

Get some Dioxit contact cleaner and use it to spray the insert jacks and tube sockets. Spray a bit on the jack or the tube pins and then work it in and out of socket. Do not spray directly into a socket.

Feel free to ask any questions on anything else and/or if you get stuck.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
run a DVOM through the reverb pan's rca jacks to see if there is continuity, at least you can figure out if the tank is good or bad.

also i am reallly surprised hearing you had to boost the splawns. i boosted each once and i (IMO) found it unnecessary with my rig. but i do turn it up a bit to get it open.

Yeah, the Quick Rod needs an OD pedal for that kind of metal. I use a Bad Monkey with the gain on 0 and the level on 1.

I did some comparison clips of it, the Recto and the Vypyr (on the Diezel setting) called 'Tight & Wet'

The Quick Rod needed help to get something similar where the other two did not.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 3, 2014,
awesome

not sure how i missed this before
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by R45VT
Hmm. A Krank?

My lips are sealed until I open the box
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
^

and yeah more cabs is always the answer
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So play surfing with the alien through it
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75