(A recommend me an amp thread)

So, I asked about the Mesa Boogie Mark V before, and I'm still debating on whether on not I should get it, but I've been looking into a few more options from Marshall, Orange, and Laney, and Mesa Boogie. Haven't listen to any sound clips though.

Budget is about $2000. Closest city is Winnipeg, Manitoba.

I like a wide variety of music and would like a wide variety of tones. I'd need a good clean tone for jazz comping, post-rock, and clean "acoustic-like" tones for playing coffee houses. I'd also need some good mid gain tones for rock like the Foo Fighters and alt-rock styles of music for one of the bands I play in, something like Muse, Vheissu-era Thrice, stoner rock (not as important), and post-hardcore like Alexisonfire. Some higher gain sounds I would like would be something like Opeth, Karnivool, and post-metal like Russian Circles.

Thanks.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
The Mark V would be excellent. Also look at the JVM 205/210 & 410.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I also play most of that sort of stuff minus the post-hardcore and for Muse tones you cant go past a Marshall JCM2000 DSL. Its the same Amp Matt used on the first three albums. I'd also take a look at Blackstar. My Blackstar combo does a very decent approximation of Matt's tone, but darker and higher gain than my marshall, so you start to move out of classic rock tones and more into modern sounding stuff.
The only reason not to get the Mark 5 is if you cant find one within budget.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I will most definitely pay the little bit more to get a much better amp. One of my few concerns about the Mark V's is that the EQ range isn't very big. Would looking into an EQ pedal be worth it?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
For some sounds you inevitably need pedals, and I think a Mesa Boogie would be nice because of the various gain and voicing options and the multi channels.

Especially with all the "post" you posted, a lot of effects going in there.

Opeth also has it's delay chorus things.

For other stuff you could always get some boutique Od/ds etc. pedal.

The Mark V amp has quite a few voicing switches, which in basic terms changes how the EQ reacts. Afterwards that is, an EQ pedal in front would change how the EQ on the amp is hit.

I'd say think about how close you want to nail those tones, cause you do need quite a few FX to cover all you posted.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 1, 2014,
I think I have enough pedals as is to cover almost every genre. I just need a reverb. I'm not looking to nail X tone, but I want to incorporate their styles and sounds into my own to make my own sound.

Will check out the Engl Invader as well. My Gigmaster 15 has served me well the last few years.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Well the Mark V is definitely the most versatile of the bunch, but it may be difficult to find one within your budget. That said I have seen a couple used ones pop up on craigslist for around $2000.
I see a JVM 410 on your craigslist but I'm not a big fan of them.

Mark 5 would be awesome to have even if it doesn't excel in the low end dept (for me anyway).

Maybe you could find a Mesa DC5 or .50 Cal or maybe a used Tremoverb. Or hell, a Rectoverb

Or - consider getting two different amp
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 1, 2014,
dont rule out a kemper profiling amp.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Mark 5 would be awesome to have even if it doesn't excel in the low end dept (for me anyway).

The low end on the Mark is a really strange thing. It's there... There's a ton of it, but it's always just slightly out of reach. Adjust the EQ for more, you've got too much, a slight adjustment in the other direction and it's gone completely. In some ways it's good because you rarely find yourself competing with the bass player and you've still got a ton of lower mids.

Mind you... Nothing a speaker swap won't fix. I blew both C90s in my Mesa 3/4 back. Replaced them with a Eminence Texas Heat & a Swamp Thang. Absolutely no shortage of depth in the bottom end now.
If I was to get the Mark V, should I get a speaker or a cabinet upgrade? Currently using a Blackstar HTV-212.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
If I was to get the Mark V, should I get a speaker or a cabinet upgrade? Currently using a Blackstar HTV-212.

Definitely. They just have generic Celestions.

If you get the head, take it to a store and try different cabs to figure out what you want with it. Most people like V30s, they're pretty much the standard speaker for anything.

I personally really like G12T75s as well, though they're not as universally liked.

You should be able to find something with Greenbacks and G12H30s too, though you need 4 of them rather than 2 because they're low wattage speakers.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'll throw this one out- Sunn Model T reissue with Pedals. I think that's how the Russian Circles guy rolls.
^-- +1

People always forget that the amp you play will only sound as good as the speakers/cab you play it through.

If you want the cheapest upgrade path you could always swap out the speakers in your Blackstar cab, and then eventually buy a higher quality unloaded cab and move the new speakers into that.

Celestion V30s are generally the standard speaker. Personally I hate them, especially paired with the Mark V, but that's me. One thing to be aware of is that Mesa cabs tend to use darker sounding V30s. There's also a fairly significant difference between the Chinese and English built V30s.

G12T75s are typically known for having really scooped mids and horrible icepick. However, the Mark V has a huge amount of mids and a very smooth top end so this pairing can actually work out really well.

Classic Lead 80s are nice too. I think they're actually the "good" version of what''s currently in your cab right now.

Personally I'm a fan of Eminence. Less expensive than Celestion and to my ears they sound a hell of a lot better. I put a Swamp Thang and a Texas Heat in my cab and haven't looked back since.

Another popular choice is the EVM12L. I don't have much experience with these, but I do know they sound huge and are a popular choice for the high gain crowd.
I never found Eminence to be significantly cheaper enough than Celestion to get worked up about.

WGS all day for budget speakers.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last I checked V30s cost $160 while most Eminence cost around $80

I'd say half the price is significant

But aside from the price I still prefer most of the Eminence Speakers I've heard to most of the Celestions I've heard. Then again, I also prefer 2x12s to 4x12s and semi-open back to closed back. So... What do I know?
Where I look Eminences are $100 and Celestions are $100-$150. I see you're in Canada, that could have something to do with it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm looking at Voltage amps (voltageampsdotca) as they are built in my hometown. However they are custom built, so I would have a harder time trying them out, but I could build a cab to taste. And the kicker is that the Mark V is at Long and Mcquade, while there are a few Voltage cabs for sale at Quest Musique, both Winnipeg stores. Voltage also use WGS speakers as a standard speakers, but offer eminence and celestion speakers, but at an increase in price I'm sure. Any thoughts on WGS speakers?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
I'm looking at Voltage amps (voltageampsdotca) as they are built in my hometown. However they are custom built, so I would have a harder time trying them out, but I could build a cab to taste. And the kicker is that the Mark V is at Long and Mcquade, while there are a few Voltage cabs for sale at Quest Musique, both Winnipeg stores. Voltage also use WGS speakers as a standard speakers, but offer eminence and celestion speakers, but at an increase in price I'm sure. Any thoughts on WGS speakers?

Just get the Mesa; otherwise, you'll have to buy one after the Voltage.
WGS speakers are widely known to be legit. I use an ET-65 and it's a killer speaker right out of the box if you want that type of tone.

I basically feel like the more modern versions (WGS's, Eminence) of the "classic" Celestions all offer improvements and are better priced.
WGS Vetran 30 is a good sounding speaker.

Someone actually did a speaker shootout with a Mark V, it covers many of the Celestions mentioned here as well as the WGS 30.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Amps/Speaker-Shootout-Mesa-Mark-V-content/td-p/27213631

I played through a Voltage cab once, not sure what speakers were in it but I was impressed. They're definitely on the pricey side, but I'd say it was worth the money if you're looking for a great sounding custom cab.

Personally I'd suggest going for the variable back option. That way you can keep the back closed for your high gain stuff and then remove the 1/4 panel for clean and midgain stuff.