Page 1 of 101
Here ye here ye, the 2014 season is upon us with its slopey noses, brand new engines and personalised driver numbers. I'm not going to bother going through my own predictions, so here's a summary of what we know so far (although the number of tech and sporting changes is too long to list so I've just provided links).

Teams and drivers

2014 Formula One Race Calendar

1 Australian Grand Prix - Albert Park, Melbourne - 16 March
2 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang International Circuit, Kuala Lumpur - 30 March
3 Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir - 6 April
4 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai International Circuit, Shanghai - 20 April
5 Gran Premio de España - Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona - 11 May
6 Grand Prix de Monaco - Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo - 25 May
7 Grand Prix du Canada - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal - 8 June
8 Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring, Osterrich - 22 June
9 British Grand Prix - Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone - 6 July
10 Großer Preis von Deutschland - Hockenheim Circuit, Hockenheim - 20 July
11 Magyar Nagydíj - Hungaroring, Budapest - 27 July
12 Belgian Grand Prix - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Francorchamps - 24 August
13 Gran Premio d'Italia - Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza - 7 September
14 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore - 21 September
15 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka Circuit, Suzuka - 5 October
16 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi International Street Circuit, Sochi - 12 October
17 United States Grand Prix - Circuit of the Americas, Austin - 2 November
18 Grande Prêmio do Brasil - Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo - 9 November
19 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi - 23 November

http://www.formula1.com/races/

2014 engine suppliers

RENAULT - Red Bull Racing, Scuderia Toro Rosso, Lotus, Caterham
FERRARI - Ferrari, Force India, Sauber, Marussia
MERCEDES BENZ - Mercedes AMG GP, McLaren, Williams

2014 car unveiling dates

TBC

2014 pre-season testing schedule

Jerez (Spain) - January 28-31
Bahrain - February 19-22
Bahrain - February 27-March 2

Video on the differences between 2013 and 2014 cars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYJXR1TgpSg

Technical regulation changes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Formula_One_season#Technical_regulations

Sporting regulation changes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Formula_One_season#Sporting_regulations

Autosport Predictor

League code: 04513b4b20d96a0911448cbc851b48bf
Last edited by Boxhead at Feb 28, 2014,
Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but Formula 1 is like NASCAR only with faster cars and classier fans right?
Quote by HvyMetalKing
Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but Formula 1 is like NASCAR only with faster cars and classier fans right?

And sometimes there's even more right turns than lefts.
Quote by Seref
And sometimes there's even more right turns than lefts.

R-right turns??? B...b.. but.. left...

Seriously though, it'd be nice to see some tracks that take a little skill to drive.
Quote by HvyMetalKing

Faster? No idea but I don't think so. Don't nascars go 180+? Can't imagine F1 going much faster. And classier? Nope. Just English rednecks with expensive booze.
Nascar cars can reach higher speeds and maintain that speed through the course of a race. The point of those races is to just go as fast as possible for four hours. F1 cars generate a lot more drag through downforce so they can corner quickly which ruins their straight line speed.

On particularly high speed tracks, current Formula 1 cars can get close to the same speeds (an F1 car would probably top out at 210mph at Monza) but Nascar cars do 220mph-230mph regularly. The F1 speed trap record is 229mph set by BMW-Williams in 2004. The cars were faster then.
Last edited by Seref at Dec 31, 2013,
Quote by HvyMetalKing

not necessarily...

Quote by Wormholes
Faster? No idea but I don't think so. Don't nascars go 180+? Can't imagine F1 going much faster. And classier? Nope. Just English rednecks with expensive booze.

NASCAR is definitely faster in terms of max and average speed, but if you put one on an F1 circuit it would probably lap a minute slower due to awful brakes and very little grip i.e. slow as fcuk through the corners.

EDIT: F1 cars are also much lighter which gives them a much better power to weight ratio than Sprint Cup cars and therefore better acceleration.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Dec 31, 2013,
Quote by Diamond Dave
not necessarily...

So racing is a redneck sport no matter where in the world you are huh?

And I always thought F1 cars were way faster than NASCAR cars (NASCARs?). Don't they deploy parachutes to stop, or is that some other kind of race car I'm thinking of?
Quote by HvyMetalKing
So racing is a redneck sport no matter where in the world you are huh?

And I always thought F1 cars were way faster than NASCAR cars (NASCARs?). Don't they deploy parachutes to stop, or is that some other kind of race car I'm thinking of?

yeah to an extent, F1 has always attracted the playboy sort of image but its still loved by your average petrol heads just as much

you're thinking of drag cars and in particular top fuel drag cars. They'll do a quarter mile in about 4 seconds and go over 300mph. Of course that's not circuit racing and there are no corners to worry about which is why they use parachutes to stop.

Drag Racing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdvNMfYxNyo

Formula 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JY3q1GAsHc
I would actually probably like this, but I don't think I've ever seen a race on TV here.

And while NASCAR pretty much bores me, I wouldn't say it's necessarily easier to do. From what I've heard the cars have almost no grip whatsoever so they aren't exactly easy to get around even an oval. You guys would probably know more than me on the subject though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by HvyMetalKing

Not really no. The US equivalent of F1 would be Indy Car, so think of the Indy 500 and that's the nearest type of racing in the US, open wheel and open cockpit racing cars, the cars look quite similar on a casual inspection although technically I think there maybe more differences. I think Indy Cars actually reach higher top speeds, about 220mph whereas I think the max in F1 is about 200mph but that maybe due to differences in the circuits making it difficult to achieve that sort of top speed in f1.
Last edited by richards-keith at Dec 31, 2013,
Quote by WCPhils
I would actually probably like this, but I don't think I've ever seen a race on TV here.

And while NASCAR pretty much bores me, I wouldn't say it's necessarily easier to do. From what I've heard the cars have almost no grip whatsoever so they aren't exactly easy to get around even an oval. You guys would probably know more than me on the subject though

As an American F1 fan, the only way to really watch it is to torrent or stream British broadcasts. They air all races here on NBC Sports which is a paid channel, and certain major races they'll air on NBC which is a basic cable channel. But the commentary team here sucks anyway. I just torrent a BBC or Sky broadcast as soon as they're up.

In terms of skill level, a lot of F1 drivers have gone on to Nascar and Indy and said that oval racing is harder. It takes a lot of skill and nerve to race for 4 hours with the accelerator slammed to the floor and cars 3 inches from you at all times. However, it is (for most) a lot more boring to watch.
I actually have NBC Sports. I'll have to check it out

I kinda want to watch it with British broadcasters though, so I might go a different route
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
^ They are significantly better.

New Things
Last edited by Khann at Jan 1, 2014,
Quote by WCPhils

Really? I remember as a kid watching Schumacher win like every race in a year.
I personally love NASCAR, F1, IndyCar and virtually all other motor racing, because, like Ricky Bobby; I wanna go fast.

F1 in 2014 could be really exciting; fingers crossed it won't be a Red Bull walkover again, anyway.
133 18 9463 8395 24 22 8358 4939
Aww yiss. My title got the OP! Thanks Boxy and Divid3d for the OP and a happy new year to you all.

As for motorsports I watch, I'll watch pretty much everything. F1, Indycar, WEC, whatever.

Prediction: Alonso will batter Raikkonen this year.

Quote by sam b
He's going to batter Bottas. Aye, stick that in your sig Bill

Let's hope Pastor does shit.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Prediction: Kimi will get paid.
Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me.
Quote by Ganbow-Ki
Prediction: Kimi will get paid.

I bet his contracts require upfront payment these days...
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Cool, fresh thread. I'm going to the Malaysian GP for sure this year, with the possibility of Singapore also if I can discover some cash real fast. I also would not mind a Red Bull domination as long as Ricciardo won all their races.
Nice thread Boxy!

predictions: Carterham to clinch title at Russian GP. -It's that unpredictable at this point.

I expect a good run from Rosberg (maybe the title), Romain, Kimi...and yeah, Maldanado too.
will too.....well, if the car is good, he stands as good a chance as Lewis IMO, Lewis will have some drama in his life again, loose focus as usual
With Blayney on this one. Rosberg is good, but the likes of Vettel, Alonso, and Hamilton are great.

Quote by sam b

I might have a shot at going to Suzuka, depends on how much cash I have/time off. So what's going to be the thread project this year? UGF1 podcast?
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
I might have a shot at going to Suzuka, depends on how much cash I have/time off. So what's going to be the thread project this year? UGF1 podcast?

UGF1 TV

I dunno, something we can actually commit to this year?

Quote by sam b

Quote by bill976
UGF1 TV

I dunno, something we can actually commit to this year?

Haha, I'm setting up the UG satelite as we speak

Well the website was the smallest big thing we could have done, so any smaller than that and we're at an ends; I can only imagine a podcast is the least difficult thing to do.

A better question to ask is, what do people want to put on their CV/resume? I'm sorted for life now in that regard, so it's whatever anyone else wants to do to boost their employment chances through doing something extra-curricular that shows initiative and creativity.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Thing is, I've got my A-Levels coming up in a few months, so I don't have much time to spare at the moment.

God i hate procrastinating

Something like a podcast wouldn't be too bad. Could have some logistical issues with the Aussies though

Quote by sam b

Well that's the only issue with podcasts, the timing of the thing, that said it could be divided and spliced together; but then that would limit groups to focusing on specific elements, but as we found out from last time, that won't really work out

There is the possibility of a web series if people want to go T-Total. Kind of anchor-esque if anyone gets what that is
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I like how the word Quantum hasn't even been uttered since that one horrid Team Principles press conference.
Quote by Seref
I like how the word Quantum hasn't even been uttered since that one horrid Team Principles press conference.

It would benefit everyone to forget it ever happened
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster