Before I commit to a buy... I've sifted through a heap of youtube videos for the Zoom G5 and none of them really gets a tone I'm looking for, I'm playing 6505 style Metalcore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tajPROM8wk&t=51

This guy records direct to PC with a pod 2.0 in this video and pretty much nails the tone I'm after, is the zoom G5 actually capable of a tone like this?

If not I'll start looking into the POD HD or something...
Technically, yes it can do that - it has a built in USB interface, which a quick read of the specs should have told you.

However, you should ask whether you are really considering the correct equipment for what you a attempting.

If you are looking to perfect your live tone, then it's possible a new amp may be the better investment.

If you are only looking to perfect your recorded tone, then a multi effects pedal probably isn't necessary. You would be better off getting a decent quality interface and using software based amp sims to recreate the sound you're after. Go to the Recordings forum and read the stickies dedicated to Interfaces and Amp Sims for more information.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Technically, yes it can do that - it has a built in USB interface, which a quick read of the specs should have told you.

However, you should ask whether you are really considering the correct equipment for what you a attempting.

If you are looking to perfect your live tone, then it's possible a new amp may be the better investment.

If you are only looking to perfect your recorded tone, then a multi effects pedal probably isn't necessary. You would be better off getting a decent quality interface and using software based amp sims to recreate the sound you're after. Go to the Recordings forum and read the stickies dedicated to Interfaces and Amp Sims for more information.

Sorry for the lack of information, I made a similar post recently but didn't really get an answer to this question, so I narrowed it down.

I have a Peavey 6505+ Amp already, the issue is I can't use it a lot of the time I'm playing because it's really loud... So I'm looking for something I can use headphones to practice silently with, do some recording, looping, messing with some effects etc.

The Pod/Zoom series seemed to fit the bill for this, I've never owned anything like them though, what does the USB interface have to do with getting this tone on a G5? I assume it either models some high gain amps or it doesn't I don't really want to be trying to get a high gain tone out of a fender amp etc.

As for the interface, wouldn't I be able to use the Zoom/Pod as my recording interface into whatever software amp sim I want? Given it has the PC connection.

When you say interface I imagine things like that little Behringer USB connector... Or possibly you mean something like a POD HD PRO? but keeping within my price range of about $350 or less I think those are a bit too expensive at the moment.
Quote by Viscerus
Sorry for the lack of information, I made a similar post recently but didn't really get an answer to this question, so I narrowed it down.

I have a Peavey 6505+ Amp already, the issue is I can't use it a lot of the time I'm playing because it's really loud... So I'm looking for something I can use headphones to practice silently with, do some recording, looping, messing with some effects etc.

The Pod/Zoom series seemed to fit the bill for this, I've never owned anything like them though, what does the USB interface have to do with getting this tone on a G5? I assume it either models some high gain amps or it doesn't I don't really want to be trying to get a high gain tone out of a fender amp etc.

As for the interface, wouldn't I be able to use the Zoom/Pod as my recording interface into whatever software amp sim I want? Given it has the PC connection.

When you say interface I imagine things like that little Behringer USB connector... Or possibly you mean something like a POD HD PRO? but keeping within my price range of about $350 or less I think those are a bit too expensive at the moment.

In short he means something like these 2 for headphone use and recording.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AmpliTube3e/

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388571614&sr=8-1&keywords=scarlett+2i2

Of course there are other choices out there. Do some research.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
In short he means something like these 2 for headphone use and recording.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AmpliTube3e/

http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-2i2-USB-Recording-Interface/dp/B005OZE9SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388571614&sr=8-1&keywords=scarlett+2i2

Of course there are other choices out there. Do some research.

So these interfaces are compatible with headphones? (Through PC?)

How are they superior to a multi fx with recording capabilities?

Would I be able to use that same software with the multi fx?

The other thread was more about whether or not there were any better options to suit my needs than a G5, none were suggested other than POD's so this is pretty new stuff to me.
Proper interfaces are superior to a multi fx with recording capabilities because they are proper interfaces. It's what they are designed to do.

Multi effects pedals are designed to be multi effect pedals. If they have an interface tagged on, it's never going to be as good as a proper interface.

If you get a proper interface (I hope by now you have read the interfaces sticky and know I'm not talking about the Behringer guitar link you mentioned), you will be able to download the necessary amp sims to accurately recreate your 6505's sound using your PC. A multi effect pedal is not required for this.

The Zoom G5 is a great pedal, and for someone who was genuinely looking for a multi effect pedal I'd always recommend it, but that's not what's needed here.

Seriously, go to the Recordings forum & read the stickies.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Proper interfaces are superior to a multi fx with recording capabilities because they are proper interfaces. It's what they are designed to do.

Multi effects pedals are designed to be multi effect pedals. If they have an interface tagged on, it's never going to be as good as a proper interface.

If you get a proper interface (I hope by now you have read the interfaces sticky and know I'm not talking about the Behringer guitar link you mentioned), you will be able to download the necessary amp sims to accurately recreate your 6505's sound using your PC. A multi effect pedal is not required for this.

The Zoom G5 is a great pedal, and for someone who was genuinely looking for a multi effect pedal I'd always recommend it, but that's not what's needed here.

Seriously, go to the Recordings forum & read the stickies.

I have read through the sticky about interfaces now and I was picturing the right thing, I'd just never really looked into them, but it does seem as though they'd suit my needs a little better, probably why a lot of the G5 demo's I watched seemed a little 'raspy' as they aren't solely built to record.

Probably going to have to open a new thread regarding what amp sim software I should be using...

I'm no expert in Amp Sims, but some of the other guys over in the Recordings forum reallly know their stuff, I'm sure they'll put you straight onto the best option(s).

EDIT: Just had a quick look in the amp sim sticky, there's a 6505 sim listed as one of the first entries!
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jan 1, 2014,
Line 6 POD HD destroys the Zoom stuff, hell it destroys anything near its price range. I have an older POD XT, and I'd take it over a Zoom any day

If your amp is too loud, why not get something like a Hot Box from www.switchdoctorswitches.com it is a volume control that goes in your FX loop so you can attenuate the level of volume but stull get the saturation the amp has when loud.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate