I'm thinking about getting myself a good ol Roland JC-120 and running Native Instruments' Guitar Rig 5 through it at gigs. I'm a college student in a band that mainly plays at restaurant/bars, house parties, and small hall stuff. We play a bit of everything (particularly ska, rock, blues, and jazz) and Guitar Rig 5 has been great in getting me the tones I want. I play a Fender Strat on most things and an Epiphone Emperor II (hollowbody) for jazz stuff. The JC-120's full range speakers(ideal for cab simulations, amirite?) and effect loop is what I'm interested in for my rockier stuff with Guitar Rig, but I was thinking I may have use for the amp itself in my jazz playing. I played through one once in a bigband setting and was really happy with how it sounded in that sonic environment. Apparently, a lot of cats like Pat Martino and George Benson use a JC-120.

What do you guys think? Is this the right amp for me? Would this amp get me the best results with Guitar Rig?

EDIT: Anyone know anything about the older JC models(70s-80s?) being better than the newer ones today?
Check out my music on my profile
Last edited by chad120 at Jan 1, 2014,
I'm sure that will work but those amps command somewhat of a premium for what they are. If you are using GR all you need is a good FRFR amp/speaker setup and you may be able to get more bang for your buck by avoiding the popularity/scarcity bubble. I'm thinking a moderately priced PA might give you more flexibility?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The JC-120 is a very good and popular amp, but maybe it would be better to get a PA. You have cab and speaker models and you can use microphone in front of cab in guitar rig, so yeah, frfr speakers should work good with that.
hmm, valid points. I'm gonna look more into FRFR amplification. Might wind up even being the cheaper option
Check out my music on my profile