Was just wondering if it's necessary to buy a Distortion pedal for a solid state amp? I have a nice little Blackstar SS amp and trust me it cranks out some nice distortion and O/D tones but I was recently thinking it would be nice to get a killer Disortion pedal to give it that extra little tone I think it needs. Worth it or no? Cheers.
Try it. If you like it, great, if not back to the drawing board.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Your solid state Blackstar is a modeling amp. It will probably not sound good with a distortion/overdrive pedal.
Depends in the model. My Valvetronix+ has models that take pedals well. Some not so much. Try it. With SS I find I like it better when the tone is warm.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
+1to the modeling amps don't take pedals well.
Last edited by RJH11 at Jan 1, 2014,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Idk dude, when I think SS I think death metal grind.

Or how about "Turn the Page" cover by Metallica. I remember reading a track by track breakdown somewhere with the producer or sound guy and I'm pretty sure he said James used his JC-120.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Or how about "Turn the Page" cover by Metallica. I remember reading a track by track breakdown somewhere with the producer or sound guy and I'm pretty sure he said James used his JC-120.

Yeah, but the JC-120 there (and also in a lot of other metallica songs) is used just for the cleans, with no gimmicks other than reverb and maybe a delay pedal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Yeah, but the JC-120 there (and also in a lot of other metallica songs) is used just for the cleans, with no gimmicks other than reverb and maybe a delay pedal.

That makes more sense than him throwing a distortion pedal infron of a jc120.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10