Does the breakup of two amps of the same brand & watt change depending on the amp type?

Say you put the marshall class 5 combo up against its head counterpart will the amp's clean breakup be on the same master volume or will they breakup at different volume points?
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
If they're the same circuit and played through the same speaker then it should be roughly the same. The only difference otherwise would be the speaker distortion/break-up.

That was always my take on it. I suppose it would change from amp to amp anyway, but there shouldn't be huge differences either way, probably very minute if anything.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
So if the head with a better cab it would breakup later than the combo
- Frank Castle
Quote by cha33 armstrong
So if the head with a better cab it would breakup later than the combo

"Better" is subjective. If you had a cab that had the same speaker as the combo version, then the head and combo would sound near identical.

When played through a different speaker, they will sound different tonally due to the speaker characteristics and their volume and break-up may change too depending on what speaker the combo's is being compared against.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Shouldn't theoretically change a thing, if of course the speakers you're using are the same.

Different speakers have different sensitivity.
A class 5 isn't really that powerful of an amp so sensitivity doesn't change the volume that much, but on bigger amps the difference is higher.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The class 5 was the first head/combo series that came to mind
- Frank Castle
speakers can be louder than others. if one speaker is louder, then perhaps you dont turn up more, and the amp stays cleaner.

that is not why you get those speakers, but this is just a realistic byproduct of having a louder speaker.

in fact, they make speakers that lower the volume, and some players use this to actually crank thier amp more and get more breakup.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Does the breakup of two amps of the same brand & watt change depending on the amp type?

Say you put the marshall class 5 combo up against its head counterpart will the amp's clean breakup be on the same master volume or will they breakup at different volume points?

the circuit of the amp, the tolerance of the parts and the interaction with external components (like a speaker for example) will dictate how an amp 'acts'

taking a circuit from a combo and putting it in a separate head cabinet is not going to directly effect how the amp responds. there may be some factors that indirectly effect response though (like changing from an open back to a closed back speaker cabinet).

some amps may have different circuits between the head or combo, this will effect how an amp performs.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae