Well, just recently I bought my first electric guitar, a used Epiphone Les Paul Sunburst, in perfect condition, together with a Peavey Rage 158 amp. I used to play acoustic when I was 10, but after 9 years those fragments of knowledge about playing a guitar are basicly gone. Now, so to say, I'm a absolute rookie when it comes to guitars, but I have ordered Rocksmith 2014. I know that won't replace any guitar lessons, but it is a nice start, I suppose. It won't arrive before friday, and my fingers are itching.
The Les Paul was bought in 2004 and basicly never used, so naturally it has to be tuned. I have a Korg GA-30 left from my acoustic days, but I have some serious trouble tuning my guitar. My english isn't the best, so the next part might sound weird, aside me having not a lot of knowledge of guitars.
I want to tune my guitar as advised in the booklet that came with my guitar:
6E, 5A, 4D, 3G, 2B, 1E.
Now, I use the GA-30 for tuning, but when I want to tune the 6th string, I can't hit 6E, I only hit 7B or 4D. I have similar problem with the 5th string, there I do only hit There I do also only hit 7B and 4D. It's a bit frustating, and I'm not even sure if the stuff I'm talking about makes sense to you.
Aside from that, can anybody of you tell me how to get a crunchy sound from that amp? Any other hints and tricks are welcome too.

Intaminator
Okay, the numbers are there to just tell you your string numbers obviously, with 1 being the smallest. You don't have a 7B but that's there for people who have a 7 string.

What you need to pay attention to is the notes though. Your 6E string is tuned somewhere between the B and D notes below tuning. So just keep tuning it higher until it goes passed the 4D and it will eventually say 6E.

As for your 5A string, I can only guess it is in the same place, and you need to tune it passed the 6E, then passed 3G and then it will find 5A.

There are plenty of youtube videos that will help you if you search "tuning guitar for beginners". Watch a few of them to generalise, as certain people will give you different intuition on that. RockSmith will certainly help a lot too.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Rocksmith got a tuning tool or something like that?
Yeah, I tried to tune both strings higher, but they do always jump from 5A and 4D immediatley to 7B.
Anyways, thanks for the help.
It could be the batteries in your tuner are dying. I have gotten some wonky readings from mine when that happened.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Additionally, to receive a "crunchy" sound from the amp (assuming that I know what you're speaking of), you need to distort your amp output. You could do this a few different ways, the easiest one would probably be to get a fuzz, overdrive, or distortion pedal. I recommend studying the Wikipedia article on that.
Well, thanks for the replies. Is there no other way to get that crunchy sound without additional gadgets? I'm kinda low on money right now dispite the set. being a bargain. Also, I switched the batteries two days ago, it can't come from that.
Quote by Intaminator
Well, thanks for the replies. Is there no other way to get that crunchy sound without additional gadgets? I'm kinda low on money right now dispite the set. being a bargain. Also, I switched the batteries two days ago, it can't come from that.

Have you tried using lead channel on your amp? You should be able to get a crunchy sound with it.
As I understand it, the classic recipe for crunch is good overdriven tube amp + good OD/Dist/Fuzz pedals + high output HBs. Modern metal bands have been able to use higher quality solid state amps & EMGs to develop new flavors of distortion & crunch.

But the foundation of the sound, either way, is with quality amps.

And yeah, it costs. None of those bands you're thinking of walked into a store and just bought everything they have now. They built their rigs over time.

Patience. Save your money, look for deals on used gear appropriate for your style. I bet half of my pedals were bought used. I could have but cheaper pedals, but if I had, I wouldn't have what I have now.

Buying new pickups now before you have a better amp isn't a terrible idea. And it will only slow you down a little bit. I'm just worried about the psychology of the purchase. If, as some predict, the upgraded pickups don't give you enough of a change to your sound, that can be a disappointment. You might think you made a bad purchase. You don't need to discourage yourself.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 1, 2014,
Luckily I have good friend who owns about 40 guitars. I don't know how much gear he has, but maybe he can borrow me some stuff. Aside from that I'm still a beginner, and I'll see how far I want to "carry" this hobby of mine, how much money I want to spend on it . Considering my obsession with Clutch I'd see myself go somewhere in a southern rock/stoner-rock/hard-rock direction.
Anyways, thanks for the support, I can't wait for Rocksmith to finally arrive.
Clutch...a truly underappreciated band.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Clutch...a truly underappreciated band.

I couldn't agree more. Especially after Earth Rocker.