I've been picking up a lot of mics recently and finally stumbled on an AWESOME deal on an AKG C 414 XLS. I've wanted one of these mics for YEARS but never really wanted to spend the money on it.

It's probably the second best mic in my entire collection, I wish I had gotten one sooner. Heck, I even want two of them now! It's extraordinarily neutral, pretty much the complete opposite of my mojave. That being said, all the EQing and compression I do on it is for taste, not to make it fit better or sound better. I used to spend more time EQing to make things sound like THIS and now I can actually spend that time being creative with the tracks.

I've been home at my parent's place so I don't have any of my studio gear with me, just a mobile interface, but if you wanna hear something I can record it with that. Otherwise I'll probably throw up some tracks when I get back to Richmond.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Nice!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Super bitchin. I've always wanted a pair of C414s for Overheads but, like you, have never really wanted to spend the cash

I'm sure I'll buy some one day... but right a pair of the new Warm Audio WA76s are much higher on my list!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Dayum! nice one! Once I'm out of uni and don't have access to them any more I may well end up buying a pair. They are just so useful, happy on almost anything.

The big question is XLS or ULS!
Those compressors look sweet! I just ordered a pair of distressors so I think I'm out of the compressor market for a little while haha. I thought I remembered someone on here having an ISA preamp. How do you like yours? I have an 828mkii!
Ever heard of Peluso mics? I just tried out one of their Telefunken ELA 251s and it was SWEET.

People seem to like the ULS a lot but I did a blind test and preferred the XLS. Beats me, man.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Those compressors look sweet! I just ordered a pair of distressors so I think I'm out of the compressor market for a little while haha. I thought I remembered someone on here having an ISA preamp. How do you like yours? I have an 828mkii!
Ever heard of Peluso mics? I just tried out one of their Telefunken ELA 251s and it was SWEET.

People seem to like the ULS a lot but I did a blind test and preferred the XLS. Beats me, man.

Yeah, i was gonna get a pair of Distressors, but I think I'll wait it out for the WA76. I can buy a pair for the price of one Distressor, and while I'd still want a pair of Distressors down the road, I think I can handle working with just a pair of 1176s

Yep, I actually got to try out a Peluso 2247LE a few weeks ago. A buddy and I shot it out against the two Stellar mics I just bought, and we actually ended up liking the Stellars better on almost everything

As far as the ISA preamps go - I really like them, but I have too many preamps now, so I'm trading the ISA for some new stuff. They used to be my go-to pres, but now that I have my SCA rack and VMP-2, I haven't really touched them for anything but DI.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, i was gonna get a pair of Distressors, but I think I'll wait it out for the WA76. I can buy a pair for the price of one Distressor, and while I'd still want a pair of Distressors down the road, I think I can handle working with just a pair of 1176s

Yep, I actually got to try out a Peluso 2247LE a few weeks ago. A buddy and I shot it out against the two Stellar mics I just bought, and we actually ended up liking the Stellars better on almost everything

As far as the ISA preamps go - I really like them, but I have too many preamps now, so I'm trading the ISA for some new stuff. They used to be my go-to pres, but now that I have my SCA rack and VMP-2, I haven't really touched them for anything but DI.

I've heard a lot of good things about Stellar mics. It's good to hear even more! We have a couple of sweet mics but we're looking for just a few more for flavor.

The ISA is sweet for DI, that's my favorite thing about it. I'm trying to get either an API or a Phoenix for another set of pres.

Anyway, here's a recording with the 414!

http://youtu.be/baeKFz8VzLw

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Ok, it's official... I hate* you now

I mean, it's already been said by Matrix, but a pair of C414s is my favourite OH setup I've ever been fortunate enough to try!

*I don't hate you really... I'm just extremely green with envy right now >.>
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Hey, I only have one for right now I'm trying to get a second one though.

I can probably get any of y'all discounted ones if you live in the US.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712