I heard that not all strap locks will fit all guitars because of different screw sizes. I was wondering if the Schaller strap locks would work, and if install is easy. I'm assuming it's as simple as screwing, but everyone knows what they say about assuming...

Thanks in advance!
At most you may have to fill the screw hole with a matchstick/toothpicks and PVA glue if the Schaller screw is too thin. Super easy job and it will last forever. I have Schallers on everything and only one didn't need the match trick.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have never had an issue just using the original screw. Makes much more sense than using the supplied screw.

I used to use Dunlops exclusively, I now use Schallers exclusively, so I have experience with both.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Schaller supply two length screws, I just fill the old hole because it's so easy to do but many just use the longer screws so it cuts a new thread deeper down. Either method will work just fine.
The main thing to do is tighten up the nut on the strap properly, stick a shifter on the clip and a spanner on the nut. It's good steel so you can lean on it pretty hard. Don't go crazy but give give it a good twist and check it a day later to allow for any settling of the leather.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If your worried about the screws not fitting, it's no big deal. Just split up a toothpick and put the pieces in the strap button hole. Drop some glue (preferably wood glue) in there for good measure and jam the screw in and let it sit. Problem solved.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by JakeFrmStatFarm
That simple? Thanks!

If you go the tooth pick and glue rout, make darn sure you let the glue dry really good before putting your screw in. Don't just glue and screw like suggested above. Otherwise your going to have a hell of a time ever getting the screws back out if you ever need to. More than likely one way or another you (or someone else) will need to remove them eventually someday.
You have to give the glue time to dry enough that the screw won't pull matches/toothpicks out as you screw in the screw. I leave it overnight usually just to be sure.
You won't need to drill a new hole either because matchstick wood is so soft, the screw will cut its own hole just fine. The softness of the wood doesn't translate into weakness though because 1) the grain is running the right way and 2) the glue reinforces it.
I have guitars that have straplocks held in that way for over 30 years without issue.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I really appreciate the advice in this thread. My I'm waiting on some Levy's straps to arrive any day for both my son's guitar and my own. I couldn't find them locally. I'm sure I can get the Schaller's from a couple of different local shops, though.

We started a couple months ago with basic nylon straps that served their purpose. He's does almost all of his practicing while standing, though, and asked about a better strap last week.

It looks like it'd be a good time to be a perfect time to resolve both upgrades. Looks like I have some wooden matchsticks and Gorilla wood glue already on hand.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
I used the screws from my ESP Eclipse II with Schallers. It was super easy. If you have a thick Levy's strap like I do you may need a thinner washer otherwise that was pretty easy to set up too.