I'm looking for advice of what I need to add and how to setup my amp to get a variety of range.

Gear
82 Les Paul Silverburst
American Strat
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifer
Mesa Boogie 412 Cab
Boss DS-1 Distoration Pedal
SP Compressor

Trying to cover the variety of these sounds
Tool
Rage
Stone Temple Pilots
AC/DC
Metallica

How would you guys set this up to get the variety of sound that I'm striving to get. Add additional pedals. I would like to stay under 700 dollars to achieve the goal.

Thanks in advance
firstly, you don't need any distortion pedals, you've got a dual rec. i suggest setting up the lead channel for low to medium gain, and then use a tubescreamer or boss sd-1 to boost it when you want more distortion. hell, even the new EHX soul food overdrive which is a klon clone, apparently. i use my klon ktr into my xxx's rhythm channel and it freaking loves it. totally cops an adam jones tone.

for rage and tool, get a flanger. metallica, get a wah and chorus (or a flanger will still do okay). ac/dc don't really use any other effects. and dunno about STP.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Jan 2, 2014,
Ditch the DS-1 you really won't need it.

Tool and Metallica should be no problem. A Tubescreamer or clone would help tighten things up, but really the amp should get 90% of the way there on it's own.

AC/DC & Rage use Marshalls and I believe STP is Vox AC30s. While you can definitely get tones that work for those styles of music out of a Dual Rectifier you're never going to sound like Angus Young. If you're determined to get close I would try any Marshall in a box dirt pedal on your clean channel and possible an EQ in the loop.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
firstly, you don't need any distortion pedals, you've got a dual rec. i suggest setting up the lead channel for low to medium gain, and then use a tubescreamer or boss sd-1 to boost it when you want more distortion.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by drizzt26
I'm looking for advice of what I need to add and how to setup my amp to get a variety of range.

Gear
82 Les Paul Silverburst
American Strat
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifer
Mesa Boogie 412 Cab
Boss DS-1 Distoration Pedal
SP Compressor

Trying to cover the variety of these sounds
Tool
Rage
Stone Temple Pilots
AC/DC
Metallica

How would you guys set this up to get the variety of sound that I'm striving to get. Add additional pedals. I would like to stay under 700 dollars to achieve the goal.

Thanks in advance

Which Dual Rectifier do you have? If you have the older 3 channel, you can get close approximation for all those bands with your amp.

Tool - Channel 2 vintage or modern, tube rectifiers
Rage - Channel 2 Vintage or raw, rectification your choice
STP - Channel 2 raw or channel 1 pushed
AC/DC - Channel 1 pushed diodes (modern) / tubes (classic) try spongy
Metallica - Channel 2 Vintage (early) / Channel 2 modern (newer) diodes

The DS-1 won't do you much good with this amp. Better bet would to pick up a TS variant pedal and use as a boost. Not familiar with your compressor, but they are secret sauce running into the amp.

Download the User manual from Mesa's site and read it twice, then read it again. Keep it handy as you will forget stuff and need to revert back to it eventually. Pay attention to the channel mode portions and how the tone controls interact with each mode. With the DR, the Treble sits in the signal chain first, so the more treble you dial in the less the mid and bass knobs work.

assign the loop to pedal, this way you can set the channel volume to tailor your tone and use the output as the main output.

Start with all knobs at 12:00 and tweak from there. Write down your settings in the DR user manual.

Make sure you tweak, get out in front of your amp a ways (10-15 ft.) to hear the changes.

You can get a really decent non master volume Marshall-esque tone using channel 1 pushed. basic settings Master: 1-3:00 Gain: 10-2:00. Treble: 10-11:00, Mid:2-4:00, Bass: dial in for nice rounded bottom(just to ground the mids) Presence: use as your treble control to dial back in your top end. (this should help you with your 4th band you listed)
Bjorn,
I thought an overdrive or distortion pedal is suppose to go into the amp not the effects loops. Am I mistaken?
A friend lent me his tube screamer. Is the best way to use that with my setup kill the overdrive, tone to taste and boost the level
To add to what everone else is saying, it sounds like it's time you learned to use your pickup selector, guitar volume and tone controls and picking dynamics effectively.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by drizzt26
A friend lent me his tube screamer. Is the best way to use that with my setup kill the overdrive, tone to taste and boost the level

I dunno about "best", but it'd be a decent place to start, anyway.

and yeah the od goes into the front of the amp, not into the fx loop.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by drizzt26
Bjorn,
I thought an overdrive or distortion pedal is suppose to go into the amp not the effects loops. Am I mistaken?

I meant assign the loop to the channel switching pedal from Mesa, sorry for the confusion. Not the O/D pedal. Meaning that the loop is on only when you mash the pedal on the Mesa footswitch for the DR.

Boost boxes go between the guitar and amp.

On the back of the amp, you can assign the loop fully off or fully on, assign it to a specific channel, or to pedal. The pedal is the Mesa one with buttons for each channel, solo function, and loop.