this is probably a stupid question but do I need a special capo for a nylon string guitar, I plan on getting a Yamaha NTX700
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Nope.

I agree ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

But remember that the NTX700 has a 48mm width, radiused neck so a standard acoustic capo might not be wide enough (especially as you move up the neck) and a standard classical capo (which is flat) won't do either.

I would recommend the Shubb C3 or S3. These are designed for a 12 string guitar but they will work fine on your hybrid. Shubb capos are tops IMHO.

http://www.shubb.com/store/capos/3.html#about

PS - the Yamaha NYX700 is a very nice guitar (I have it's very similar predecessor, the APX5NA) - congratulations.
Last edited by Garthman at Jan 2, 2014,
A second for the Shubb products... They are finely-adjustable so you can set them up to just pull the strings down to the fret without pulling them sharp.... The guitar stays in tune.

I well remember when everyone used those old elastic-band capos and they were just awful.
I agree with the above. You don't need a special one, but they do make trigger-type classical guitar capos that have lower tension and a slightly wider barre to make it seat comfortably. The shubb ones are better than the trigger-type because of the nonadjustable tension.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.