Page 1 of 2
I'm going to do my best to learn Bullet for my valentine songs. However, what's the best way to get the same tone as the band? Is buying his guitar/amp required to get his tone (very similar); or can it be done without having his gear?
Quote by Random3
What gear do you have? They use, or certainly used, Peavey 6505s which you could reasonably emulate with a Vypyr depending on your budget but for that kind of tone nothing beats the real thing.

A jackson guitar and a line-6 amp.

What do you mean the real thing?

How much is a Peavey 6505?

Thanks.
By the real thing I mean the actual amp rather than a simulation, which is the best a Spider (or a Vypyr for that matter) will give you. The difference is that a 6505 head is around £1000 depending on location and you would need a decent cab to go with it, compared to a few hundred for a Vypyr. Vypyrs are certainly better than Spiders but it may not be worth the upgrade unless you save for one of the tube ones.
5150/6505's go for anything between 250$ to 2500$ depending what model and what location.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Random3
By the real thing I mean the actual amp rather than a simulation, which is the best a Spider (or a Vypyr for that matter) will give you. The difference is that a 6505 head is around £1000 depending on location and you would need a decent cab to go with it, compared to a few hundred for a Vypyr. Vypyrs are certainly better than Spiders but it may not be worth the upgrade unless you save for one of the tube ones.

How would an ESP Alexi Laiho and a Marshall amp compared to Tuck's guitar gear?

If I had the gear Laiho uses... would it sound better than Tuck?

Laiho's guitar's more expensive than Tuck's guitar amp... however, Tuck's guitar is cheaper.

What should I do?

Is buying the gear the artist has a good idea if I'm after the tone?
Quote by Random3
Vypyrs are certainly better than Spiders but it may not be worth the upgrade unless you save for one of the tube ones.

+1 on the tube vypyr
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by jamesiles2004
Is it worth buying gear an artist uses?

for me:
no, i prefer having my own sound instead of "perfectly" having an artist's sound.

It's just a matter of opinion.
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Piece of advice, I wouldn't try to perfectly emulate your favourite band and go and buy the same gear as them, you should find what YOU like. If you buy the Laiho and a decent Marshall it will sound good I'm sure but it won't sound the same as Tuck because the amps are not the same. If you buy the same gear as Tuck then you will have the same tone as him yes, but you will be limited in what other tones you can achieve.

Until you know exactly what you like I would seriously recommend checking out the Vypyr tube series, they are versatile as hell and will be able to simulate relatively accurately the times of many different amps that your favourite bands may use. Plus you get a ton of built in effects.

Also I could be wrong here but if your username is an indication of your birthday then that makes you 9 years old, so I would be very surprised if you had £3000+ to spend on guitar gear.
Last edited by Random3 at Jan 2, 2014,
What's stopping the artist from changing their gear regularly?

I *think* Tuck's gear is more expensive. Why is this?

But then... it's still me playing the guitar.

No, that's the year I made the e-mail. I'm an adult.

Is spending the money on better guitar gear worth it though?
Last edited by jamesiles2004 at Jan 2, 2014,
Quote by jamesiles2004
Is it worth buying gear an artist uses?

I can't answer for you.

For me, no.

When you want to change songs and artists (and you will), is it worth moving the matt tuck gear to the back of the stack and hooking up the gear the new artist uses?

I have modelers -- Line 6 Pods and others -- hooked up to FRFR speakers. If I really need to be close, I have three Variax guitars to go with them.

Even if you own the same gear that an artist uses, remember that you're chasing a recording that:
1)May not have been done with the stage gear that an artist is seen with or endorses 2)May have been augmented by a ton of studio gear
Quote by dspellman
I can't answer for you.

For me, no.

When you want to change songs and artists (and you will), is it worth moving the matt tuck gear to the back of the stack and hooking up the gear the new artist uses?

I have modelers -- Line 6 Pods and others -- hooked up to FRFR speakers. If I really need to be close, I have three Variax guitars to go with them.

Even if you own the same gear that an artist uses, remember that you're chasing a recording that:
1)May not have been done with the stage gear that an artist is seen with or endorses 2)May have been augmented by a ton of studio gear

You're right... hmmmmmmmm... this explains when I saw Children of Bodom live, the songs sounded totally different to the recordings.

I guess I agree with you to some extent. Why spend the money when you're not going to get it 100% like the artist?
Quote by jamesiles2004
You're right... hmmmmmmmm... this explains when I saw Children of Bodom live, the songs sounded totally different to the recordings.

I guess I agree with you to some extent. Why spend the money when you're not going to get it 100% like the artist?

It's not about copying the artist. It's about having a nicer tone yourself.
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
It's not about copying the artist. It's about having a nicer tone yourself.

How can I improve my guitar tone myself with the amp I have?
best way is to sit in front of your amp and play the low E-string and keep changing the settings until you found something you like.
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
We gotta know what kind of gear you have now, mate
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

It's like when I play an intro to a BFMV song, it sounds nothing like the band.

I enjoy guitar... but it's not quite the same as watching the artist live. Anyone know what I mean here?

Line 6 (30w) and a Jackson.

Didn't Tuck use a Jackson a few years ago?
Basically scoop the mids, crank the distortion, and adjust bass and treble to flavor. Instant metalcore tone.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

How is this played?

|-------------------------------------|
|-2t5t12-2t5t14-2t5t12-2t5t14-2t5p2~--|
How do I play this? Thanks.
Index finger on the 2, ring finger on the five, and tap the 12 and 14 with your choice of index or middle of the other hand.
Quote by luxeion

Precisely, then just tap the other notes.
Quote by luxeion

You say it sounds nothing like it? Don't use the preset channels they are all kinda garbage imo. Take the time to just make your own preset. I had a line6 for about 2-3 years and could never get a good tone trying to simulate other. Finally went and bought a vypyr and just decided to make my own tones and it worked out a whole lot better than simulating a guitarists tone. Just my opinion, good luck! (I play all that stuff BMFV, KSE,AILD)
Quote by Anarchy66
You say it sounds nothing like it? Don't use the preset channels they are all kinda garbage imo. Take the time to just make your own preset. I had a line6 for about 2-3 years and could never get a good tone trying to simulate other. Finally went and bought a vypyr and just decided to make my own tones and it worked out a whole lot better than simulating a guitarists tone. Just my opinion, good luck! (I play all that stuff BMFV, KSE,AILD)

The downside to playing guitar is... well, it's impossible to be as good as the artist in terms of playing it.
Quote by jamesiles2004
The downside to playing guitar is... well, it's impossible to be as good as the artist in terms of playing it.

No, it's not. You can become a better player than Matt Tuck and other artists.

And you can also get gear that will sound better to you than Matt's gear.
Quote by jamesiles2004

just flat out wrong.
ayy lmao
Well, what I mean is... what makes BFMV/Pantera/Children of Bodom hard to play on the guitar?

(Matt Tuck only plays rhythm guitar). It's Padge that plays lead.

It's kinda like watching someone on the X factor or something sing a Robbie williams song. It's not quite the same as watching Robbie Williams perform the song (the original artist). Anyone know what I mean here?

For example: When Axewound played 'Hostile' (a Pantera song) - it wasn't the same as watching Dimebag perform it.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/axewound/2012/thelka-bristol-england-23dd2c33.html
It doesn't matter what brand of guitar you have. Chances are that if it has EMG's, it's probably fine for what you want guitar-wise.

You absolutely need a new amp though. Try getting a 6505+ 112. They can be had for about $500 used. Then replace the speaker and the tubes to Celestions and JJ's, and perhaps buy a Tubescreamer. That'll sound very close to what you want.

Is it worth sounding identical to the artist? That's up to you to decide, but personally I wouldn't. Artist gear may have some feature differences over some other models, but you always pay a fortune for that difference. You'll probably be able to go for another model and still get a sound that's very reminiscent of the artist.

And then lastly, but most importantly, practice. Practice, practice, practice. No amount of gear will help you if you cannot play the guitar properly. Whatever you're playing, you should be able to understand how it works theoretically and be able to execute it cleanly.
Quote by jamesiles2004
How would an ESP Alexi Laiho and a Marshall amp compared to Tuck's guitar gear?

If I had the gear Laiho uses... would it sound better than Tuck?

Laiho's guitar's more expensive than Tuck's guitar amp... however, Tuck's guitar is cheaper.

What should I do?

Is buying the gear the artist has a good idea if I'm after the tone?

This is all totally up to you. The cost of gear is not an accurate measurement of how good gear is. Especially when it comes to sig gear, as you are always going to pay a premium towards artist royalties in addition to buying the gear itself. Would this sound better? Would that sound better? That's all up to you to answer.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 2, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It doesn't matter what brand of guitar you have. Chances are that if it has EMG's, it's probably fine for what you want guitar-wise.

You absolutely need a new amp though. Try getting a 6505+ 112. They can be had for about $500 used. Then replace the speaker and the tubes to Celestions and JJ's, and perhaps buy a Tubescreamer. That'll sound very close to what you want.

Is it worth sounding identical to the artist? That's up to you to decide, but personally I wouldn't. Artist gear may have some feature differences over some other models, but you always pay a fortune for that difference. You'll probably be able to go for another model and still get a sound that's very reminiscent of the artist.

And then lastly, but most importantly, practice. Practice, practice, practice. No amount of gear will help you if you cannot play the guitar properly. Whatever you're playing, you should be able to understand how it works theoretically and be able to execute it cleanly.

I can play some of BFMV's 'Say goodnight' (album Scream aim Fire).

However... I cannot do pinch or natural harmonics. I know how to do them, but I cannot physically do it. Or string bending or sweeping. Hmmmmmmm...

Sliding, pick sliding, palm muting, hammer on's etc and other techniques I can do in a breeze.

What makes Pantera hard to play?
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bullet_for_my_valentine/4_words_tab.htm
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bullet_for_my_valentine/four_words_to_choke_upon_intro_tab.htm
What intro is correct?

What if I buy an Alexi ESP tomorrow and then a few months later Alexi suddenly switches to Dean, or something? I'd not have his current guitar model.

What's stopping the artist from switching guitars?
This is a forum concerning guitar gear, not technique. We have another forum concerning techniques. Go there if you want that answered.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
But then... if I buy a ESP Alexi Laiho. What's stopping Alexi from switching back to Jackson?

I'd hate to spend lots of money and then the artist switches...
Read the post I first made. It doesn't matter what brand you buy, but the features it comes with, and the quality of their materials. ESP and Jackson are both good brands, it doesn't matter.

Seriously, stop trying to mimic an artist so closely. It's a waste of money and it makes you look like a complete *insert guitarist here* wannabe.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 2, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Read the post I first made. It doesn't matter what brand you buy, but the features it comes with, and the quality of their materials. ESP and Jackson are both good brands, it doesn't matter.

So with signature gear you are paying to have what the artist uses. I'd love an ESP, but I think sometimes I can get too involved with having the best...

I don't know. It's like photography and a person. It's still the person taking the photo.
Quote by jamesiles2004
So with signature gear you are paying to have what the artist uses.

Exactly.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Exactly.

Hopefully I could find better gear for cheaper, eventually.

Are Marshall good amps?
That's completely up to you to answer. It completely depends on what model of Marshall you're talking about too.

In terms of the models that Marshall are known for, such as the JMP, JCM800, or the JVM etc, some people love them, some people don't. I myself am in the latter camp.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by jamesiles2004
So with signature gear you are paying to have what the artist uses.

Not necessarily. And, honestly, not often. There are a bunch of Slash signature Gibson and Epiphones out there. But if you want to duplicate the sound of AFD, you're going to run into the cold hard fact that he used NONE of those guitars, but used a replica '59 burst built by a guy who was NOT affiliated with Gibson or epiphone.

We have a couple of Ibanez "artist custom builder" folks here in LA. Ibanez ships them templates, hardware and decals. They build guitars that generally look like what Ibanez sells, but I've seen neck-through versions of guitars that Ibanez only builds in bolt-neck and more. It's like a movie or a stage-play set; the front sort of resembles a real wall, etc., but the back? Not so much. What you buy is whatever Ibanez wants to sell.
Page 1 of 2