As the title suggests I am looking to buy a Mesa Mini Rec. I do not gig, which makes the mini rectifier very appealing. I love the sound of Recs and Marks, eventually I would like to own a Mark, but for now I am focused on the Rec. I figure it will round out my overall sound. I love my Orange and think the Rec would balance it out.

Has anyone had experience with these heads?

I know that they use EL84s instead of 6L6s. Will this make a significant difference in the sound?

Any info would be appreciated!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I guess I was mainly looking at it to play anything that would be more American voiced. The clean channels on the Rec are appealing. The Orange is great but the Clean breaks up very early which I like but I have been GASing for a Rec. for a while. I like the overall voice and sound of Mesas. I know that the 5153 are highly regarded, but I have also heard that the clean channel is not too good. Then again I have no personal experience with the EVH.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
I guess I was mainly looking at it to play anything that would be more American voiced. The clean channels on the Rec are appealing. The Orange is great but the Clean breaks up very early which I like but I have been GASing for a Rec. for a while. I like the overall voice and sound of Mesas. I know that the 5153 are highly regarded, but I have also heard that the clean channel is not too good. Then again I have no personal experience with the EVH.

I'm not sure why you'd think the Recto would be any better. I've never once heard someone who wanted to buy a Recto for its cleans... I mean... it can do it, but it's nothing to write home about. The 5150 III is built by Fender and has a very nice clean channel.

That being said, they are totally different sounds.

I was actually very impressed by the Mini Recto. I generally do not like amps with EL84s in the power section, but Mesa made it work, somehow. That amp sounds great IMO. I LOVED the 100w 5150 III when it came out, but have since tried the 50w and wasn't quite as impressed. Maybe I just don't like the sound anymore...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I like the idea of the Mesa being able to switch to 10w. I am not buying the amp for the cleans, but it is nice that there are a lot of tonal options. Not to mention I have craved a Mesa for a long time. Don't get me wrong I love the orange but was looking for something different. It's good to know that you have tried it, generally anywhere around me it is hard to find Mesas.
Line 6 M13
Mini amps are gimmicks for the masses that think that wattage correlates with volume and I will be happy when the fad passes.

You're not trying to get poweramp breakup tones out of a damn Rectifier, wtf.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Mini amps are gimmicks for the masses that think that wattage correlates with volume and I will be happy when the fad passes.

You're not trying to get poweramp breakup tones out of a damn Rectifier, wtf.

There are mini amps that sound decent and have an amount of versatility built in; however, I think the main appeal is portability.

I'm GASing for the H&K Tebemeister 36 again because it sounds decent, looks cool, and so light. For home use, I'd go with the regular head since it'll just sit in one place. For impromptu jams, a mini is an easy choice.
I haven't personally found an exception yet, but I haven't actually played the Mini Rec which I know people here have said good things about.

The tone just isn't there. They try to downsize these monster 100W amps, but they completely gimp the power section in the process, which defeats the point. It turns the amp into a totally different (usually dull, flat) beast.

If portability is an issue I would be much happier with a smallish POD HD + poweramp rack. Get better tones there than tiny trannys trying to do a big trannys job.

The 5150 III Mini is one of the most egregious. I would go so far as to say that its existence puts the 5150 III 100W (a MONSTROUS amp) in a worse light.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 2, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
The tone just isn't there. They try to downsize these monster 100W amps, but they completely gimp the power section in the process, which defeats the point. It turns the amp into a totally different (usually dull, flat) beast.

+1 to this. I've honestly yet to find a "portable" amp that I really loved... but the Mini Recto is definitely an exception. I thought that amp sounded better than the Dual Recto. Definitely WAY better than the original 3 channels
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
+1 to this. I've honestly yet to find a "portable" amp that I really loved... but the Mini Recto is definitely an exception. I thought that amp sounded better than the Dual Recto. Definitely WAY better than the original 3 channels

I always find something good with most amps; but, I wouldn't go where you just went.
Quote by Ippon

I always find something good with most amps; but, I wouldn't go where you just went.

I'm talking about the original 3 channel Dual Recto design, which I will never, ever, own another of I haven't played the newer ones. The 2 channel is definitely better than the Mini Recto, but not by a huge margin IMO... at least, as long as you're not cranking the Mini. I'd imagine the Mini Recto would get pretty loose and muddy with those EL84s at higher volumes, I haven't had a chance to play one super loud.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
They're affordable, cool, and sound good. They're not as good as the big ones, sure, but they're not suppose to be.
Quote by Ippon

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Volume is not the issue, I have no problem cranking my Orange. I was looking at it from the stand point of wanting a Mesa and finding it for a decent price. If it's not advantageous to have the mini then I have no problem saving up for the larger rec.
On the topic of mini heads. If they are not advantageous then what makes them so appealing. Is it merely the portability issue?

OT: if the mini rec is the exception and I don't plan on ever gigging then wouldn't it make more sense to own the mini over the dual rec? Just playing devils advocate here. Not trying to start a war.
Line 6 M13
If you don't mind saving up for a 2 channel Dual Rectifier and don't mind it's less portable than a mini, get a 2 channel Dual Rectifier, I'd say. If you're not gigging, and given volume is not an issue, you won't run into the problem of it being less portable (as it stays in one place) and the fact that it has to be quite loud in order to get the best sound out of it (at least in my opinion).

Furthermore, I agree with MatrixClaw. The Mini sounds great, better than a 3 channel Rectifier, but is no 2 channel Rectifier. It sounds pretty decent at louder volumes as well, in my opinion, and you could gig it if you ever wanted to as well; unless in some way, you play with a drummer that plays deafeningly loud.

Mini heads in general offer more portability and a lot of people associate the drop in wattage with an enormous drop in volume, which isn't true. Most also offer the tone similar to something other by the brand at a much reduced price.
If you can afford the Mini, you can already afford a 2 channel Dual Recto. So, if portability isn't a concern, just buy a 2 channel for $800. Once the Mini starts selling used for the price of a used 6505, then you'll see the real benefit. While the Mini sounds great, the price they sell for used kind of negates the point of it, unless you really just need the portability.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Mini is that expensive because people will buy it. There's a good market for these sort of smaller amps in the way of Egnater, Jet City, so on and so forth. A great way to get some single channel variations in sound from different amps in the bedroom and not break the bank.

I think it's clear that the Mini Rec doesn't really stack up. However, things like the JC22H are better than trying to buy a full out Soldano that'll never leave the garage. Grabbing a Rebel or Renegade is better than a 100 Watt UK monster to do bedroom recordings with. At least, with my budget, I definitely think it is. I mostly record, and if I play shows, it's a bar. 20 watts, a 2x12, and an SM57 are far more useful to me than a 4x12 on a cranked Recto.

The mini rec is out of place in the market, but the market itself is pretty rad.
A mini amp also takes up less real estate assuning you get a 1x12 other wize its a little silly at home and yeah portability is a factor. I didn't like the mini recto when I tried it either I would try it beforr you buy it because the mini rec isn't cheap or for everybody.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
The amp itself will not move much, so portability is not the concern. I know that. Mesas take time to dial in, which I'm fine with. I just feel that the 100w would be overkill. The price is not too much of a concern. Honestly prior to looking at the mini I was dead set on either the rectoverb or dual rec. I do agree with you, Matrix, inn that it's only a matter of time before the used price drops low enough to make it irresistible. But I have also seen that Mesas tend to hold their value rather well.
Line 6 M13
I'm different I guess, but I just wasn't impressed by the Mini Rec. the only thing it did well was high gain, and it just didn't have near as gutsy and punchy sound as any of the bigger Rectos. It would be awesome for $550, but for $1000ish I just couldn't see it
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
You might check out the 5153 50w. I went in to buy the mini rec and went home with the 5153. It's got a real Good clean channel and channel 2 is super versatile and channel 3 and EMG's sound amazing. I like the mini rec but the clean channel on the EVH did it for me.
I've played the Mini Rec and agree with some of the statements here. I own a full size Dual Rec(3 channel Potayto/potahto compared to 2 channels), and would rather spend $1000+ on something else.

To my ears, the Mini has all the buzz of the large heads, but none of the grunt that balances the grit. I would rather pay $600-700 and pick up a used .50 Caliber, if you have your heart set on a smaller Mesa. They are loads more versatile, and sit a little more in-between the Rectifiers and the Marks. On top of that, you have the whole amp, not a head and cabinet. $450 for a mini rec cabinet? For the same coin, $999/head + $450/cab, you are now in used full size Rectifier territory, or new Electra-Dyne territory. It's your money though. Personally, I would buy a Dark Tiny Terror setup. The lows are better seated where full size Rectifiers are.