I've just tried using the FX loop for my Peavey 6505+ 112 for the first time since getting it a year ago haha. I ran the chain like this:

Guitar > Korg Pitchblack > Joyo Vintage OD > Amp input -
FX Loop Send > Ibanez Weeping Demon > TC Electronic Flashback Delay > Fx Loop Return

However, whenever I have the FX Loop engaged, I get a VERY noticeable volume loss. I play it at 1/1.5 volume which is more than loud enough for me in my bedroom, but when the FX loop is running, I can take it up to around 3 just to get back to that same volume.

I know it doesn't sound serious and I'm sure it isn't, but I'm just asking to make sure if it's normal and if it isn't normal, whats causing it?

Cheers
Carl
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
Try replacing the 12AX7 associated with the loop.

EDIT: V4.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 2, 2014,
The FX return is speced in the manual as having a 22K impedance. That means it's designed for active circuits. Putting pedals that are designed to go after the guitar like the wah may be causing your issues, and can cause tone suck if the pedal doesn't have active drivers. You may need to insert some kind of boost to bring the level back up before hitting the FX return.
Quote by fly135
Putting pedals that are designed to go after the guitar like the wah may be causing your issues

So does that mean, theoretically, if I put the wah back in front of the amp and leave the Delay in the loop, it shouldn't suck any volume?

Not able to try it atm, that's why I'm asking
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Sorry to say, but any pedal that is intended to be placed after the guitar may cause problems. That includes the delay. If the delay is designed to provide unity gain in a instrument level circuit then it may send too low a signal to the FX return. Nothing is carved in stone because the specs are so frequently inadequate to make such determinations.

One thing you can be assured is that an FX box (usually rack) that is designed for line level with be capable of doing the job.
Why do they make FX Loops like this then? I thought fx loops were made FOR putting those types of pedals in there? Bit stupid if you ask me haha

Is there anything I can do to make it so it CAN take a lower level signal?
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
To rule out your pedals, take a short patch cable (the kind you use to connect pedal to pedal) and run one end into your FX send and the other end into your FX return. This will tell you whether the issue is with your pedals/cables/other gear or something in your amp's effects loop.

I can tell you that the TC Flashback can be set (read your manual ) for either true bypass or buffered, and it has an excellent buffer. I run the same pedal in my effects loop (same amp as you) and I've never had a problem at all. I run the pedal buffered because then it allows the signal to fade naturally even when I've clicked the pedal off. On true bypass the delay effect is instantly killed when you switch the pedal off (now you know ).

One thing I've noticed with my 6505+ 112 is that when the effects loop is in use (even with the "dummy" jack/no pedals method I described in my first paragraph), the tone is considerably brighter and fizzier. I didn't like that effect, but you're kind of screwed if you want to run time-based effects like delay, chorus, and even reverb because they sound a lot better in the loop. However, my EQ pedal sorted it all out and I actually like it better than the tone I got with no effects loop in use.

FYI, the purpose of effects loops is to be able to put pedals into use AFTER your preamp. So time-based effects like chorus and delay aren't sending "effected" signal through the gain stages of your amp, but rather, the gain is already there and THEN the effect is added to it. In most cases, the desired effect sounds a lot cleaner and more natural.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
+1 to what KailM said about testing the loop with a cable. If all is good then his suggestion about an EQ pedal (last before return) will allow you to boost the level back up and buffer the chain before hitting that low 22K impedance.