So, I just picked up a Bv22 and like it BUT I've read a bunch of not so great reviews on reliability. I just contacted someone selling a clean MBDC5. I had never really considered this amp because I had my eyes set in a Mk5 in the distant future. I checked out some vids and that thing can rock.

I like to play clean, dirty blues, 70-80s rock crunch & 90-2000 metal. I guess it's a blend of everything. I'm starting an aging rocker dad band w/ some friends.

Anyway, I paid $350 for the Bv22 and can get the MBDC5 for $550. Should I bring back the Bv22 to GC & buy the used MB? I got it 5 days ago.

Thanks!
The Mesa is by nearly every measure the better amp, but if you're just buying something to keep you loud until you get a MkV I wouldn't get into the habit buying and selling amps. That's a dangerous road. I don't think reliability alone is a reason to get the Mesa over the Bugera. The V series weren't really the problem child with the Bugera lineup, and your warranty should cover you for a while.

But - that's a decent price on a DC5, and it's certainly going to do those heavier styles more readily than the Bugera. If it's not going to set you back significantly on your savings for a MkV it's a decent step up.
The DC-5 for sure. I don't think there will be too much overlap with the MK5, and it shouldn't set you back too much if you split with the Bugera.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Thanks Roc. Technically, I can buy the MKV now but it's way to much amp for a shleb like me. I think I need to give it the respect it deserves. I am challenging myself to get better and play in front of people. We'll play covers but will play them well and loud! Haha

I bought the Bv22 because it was cheap and all valve. I just put my POD HD up for sale also and got an offer of $225 so the upgrade to the DC5 will be nothing.

I've heard great things about the quality of MB and think it should hold up well over the years. Hopefully my kid will inherit the love of tone and want to play it.

*Side not, I see you're from Madison. I shot a wedding there at the Majestic Theater a few years ago. Very cool town. I was bummed because the night I was leaving Zakk and BLS we're playing there. I had an in with the manager and could have gotten a media pass to photograph the band. I'll get them next tour though.
The Mesa DC series is in the Mark family and is hands down the better amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok. Step one is complete. Returned the Bv22 to GC & when I told the AM I had found a DC-5 for $200 more, he said it was a no brainer. Going to Staten Island to pick up the DC5 tonight.

I only wish it had a power variance.
I honestly don't know why you'd get a DC-5 if you know you want an MKV and can afford it. If it's what you want, don't hold yourself back with the argument that you don't see yourself "worthy" enough for it. If you can pay it, you can play it. Just my opinion, of course.
1 word man... Wife.

Although I also think being able to drop $3000 on a luxery, doesn't mean one should. It's like getting a Porsche at 17 when you get a license. You gotta learn to drive and pay your dues to appreciate things a bit.
DC-5's are great amps, my buddy had a DC-3 and that combo could do just about any style and do it really well.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Your choice ultimately, of course, I just wouldn't buy an amp if you know you'll probably sell it later on for something you can already afford. You might as well just have all the options the MKV has to get better. It might even inspire you to play styles you otherwise wouldn't. Happened to me with a lot of amplifiers.

Any way, the DC-5 is a fine amplifier nonetheless. Enjoy whatever you get, it'll serve you well! ^^
If you can buy the mark v buy it. Although for some reason I like the Express/dc/f series.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Mission accomplished. Blizzard or not, I drove almost 3 hours to pick her up. She needs a bit of cleaning up but she sure sounds purdy.

She's 20 years old but feels rock solid and everything is holding up super well. I guess you really do get craftsmanship with the Boogie folks.

Thanks for the suggestion folks.

I'll post a clip if I can figure out how to soon.
Last edited by Jargapix at Jan 3, 2014,
Start a new thread for a NAD. Congrats, it is amazing how much better the mesa is than the Bugera huh.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Start a new thread for a NAD. Congrats, it is amazing how much better the mesa is than the Bugera huh.

Thanks. I think I'll do that. Yeah. The V22 was pretty nice though but I feel this MB is gonna make me pretty happy for a long while.
Definitely a good choice, the DC5 will do those tones much better IMO. To be fair, though, I was pretty disappointed with mine... though I came from the Mesa .50 Caliber +, and that amp just sounded thicker to my ears (even though the DC5 is the amp that replaced it ).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Jargapix
She's 20 years old but feels rock solid and everything is holding up super well. I guess you really do get craftsmanship with the Boogie folks.

For sure! I love the older Mesa stuff. I feel like back then they used the best possible components, probably when such options were available (things still made in US etc). My two bass amps are dated 1983 (D180) and 1987 (Bass 400 non-plus). The 1983 one is almost as old as me and still kicking butt.
Hell ya! Vintage>New. Somewhere along the line companies started sacrificing quality to maximize profit. Now you have to spend twice as much for the same quality available at a price point 20 years ago. Guitars are even worse. They chopped down most of the best trees a long time ago, now good wood is harder to find. At least that's my theory.
HNAD! I'da drove through the blizzard too.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Hell ya! Vintage>New. Somewhere along the line companies started sacrificing quality to maximize profit. Now you have to spend twice as much for the same quality available at a price point 20 years ago. Guitars are even worse. They chopped down most of the best trees a long time ago, now good wood is harder to find. At least that's my theory.
HNAD! I'da drove through the blizzard too.

Very true. We are Cannabalizing ourselves...