Do you guys bring your amps to music stores when you buy new guitars, or do you use the in strore amps? Would it be wiser for me to bring my amp to Sam Ash today as opposed to using the stores amps?

Thanks
Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I Know the guitars i choose will be suitable for higher gain and i know they will suit my amp well, so i dont have to do that.

In my opinion its more important how guitars play instead of how guitars sound / look like.
That said: most top end guitars sound nice, but you arent going to use a tele for metal (unless if you are called Jim Root) :P
But if you like tele's and play metal, you can always get one to mod it to sound like your taste.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
is it wiser? yup.

do i do it? nope.

if you can be bothered or have the ability to do it, then go for it. if you can't, try to use a similar amp to yours in the store.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Never thought about doing that but it is a good idea especially if you're not planning on changing amps anytime soon.
Quote by Dave_Mc
is it wiser? yup.

do i do it? nope.

if you can be bothered or have the ability to do it, then go for it. if you can't, try to use a similar amp to yours in the store.

best is to bring your full setupwith you. but i dont like carrying 70+kg of wood :P

thomann has 30day return, if i remember correctly. so that's cool to test good.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
No. I would if I could, but bringing it to the store would be so impractical.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 2, 2014,
I find the better stores would give you a decent amp to play through anyway. I have played guitars at not so good stores and they tend to set you up playing through some crap amp that puts you off buying the guitar for some reason. Doesn't make sense to me lol.
it really depends. If it's a guitar, I just usually plug into what the store has and they usually have an amp similarly voiced to my home setup. I then focus more on how the guitar feels. I only bring my own amp through if I'm testing something like an overdrive pedal just to be sure it takes well.
I usually test a guit with the same amp I own at the music store. I don't bring my amp I just plug in the same there.
I never do. I do it the other way around, though; I bring my own guitar if I want to buy an amplifier.
It definitely pays to be quite familiar with the kind of amps that shops are likely to have so you know what to listen for but then the absolute most important things about a guitar you can tell without really having to hear all the tiny things about it's character.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Not a bad idea it would save me from getting pissed off when they want me to try a $1000 guitar on a $150 line 6.
^^ yeah when it comes to the guitar most of the things you can check without even plugging in.

different if you're checking out cabinets or amp heads or something like that. then having your usual amp/cabinet would be much more important.

Quote by Tunder250
best is to bring your full setupwith you. but i dont like carrying 70+kg of wood :P

yeah i mean there's just no way i'd bring it with me, it's just too much bother.

as you said, if you buy from a shop with a good return policy that lets you try it in the comfort of your own home with your own rig.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 2, 2014,
it's a great idea to bring your amp if it's do-able ...... impractical for most of us but if you did there would be no surprise's when you got home .... if you can , do it
Quote by JGM258
Do you guys bring your amps to music stores when you buy new guitars, or do you use the in strore amps? Would it be wiser for me to bring my amp to Sam Ash today as opposed to using the stores amps?

Thanks

*I didn't read the reactions*

Before I really want to test some guitars I do check if they have my amp in the music store or something that comes real close and I'm familiar with. When my father wanted to buy almost the same tele as me, we didn't get a comparable amp as we have at home to test. We weren't getting the full potential out of the unknown amp and didn't get the best out of the tele that way. Luckily I brought my tele and his tele sounded almost exactly like my tele which we know it was good. If we didn't bring my tele, we wouldn't have bought the guitar because we didn't get the sweet tones out of the guitar with this amp.

If it's possible play through the same amp as you normally play through or something comparable and you are familiar with.
Well I brought it and I'm glad I did, even if it weighs nearly a hundred pounds. I just felt a lot safer buying a new guitar (Pics in my NGD Thread).
I I'm real serious abut a guitar i'll play it through anamp similar to ne ad a couple of others to see ho it sounds. I worry way more about the feel of the neck and seeing if there may be intonation issue than how I souns. pups can b chnaged etc.
Do you use your own amp when testing out a new guitar?

Not until I get it home.

I'd never haul my rig into a store. Why would I?

Most stores have return policies.
Carvin has a 10-day free trial no questions asked.
If I can't tell what I need to know with a little Line 6 spyder, I shouldn't be playing guitar anyway. And besides, you're not usually going to be running any amp full blast in a store, nor do you have the same acoustics that you do onstage, in your practice facility or in your bedroom (wherever you play the most).
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 3, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
And besides, you're not usually going to be running any amp full blast in a store, nor do you have the same acoustics that you do onstage, in your practice facility or in your bedroom (wherever you play the most).

Good point.

I would say, though, that the 10-day trial thing tends not to happen so much in the UK (maybe Europe as a whole, I'm not sure)- you're covered really well under distance selling regulations by law if you buy something without trying it (say an online purchase), but if you do try it in a shop you don't legally have those rights. Some shops may still offer them even if you try and buy instore, but in my experience most don't.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?